1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sagara

sagara Member

i've had prime95 running since 7:00am it is now 3:45pm and it's still running it, and has passed every test. and according to my cpu monitor, it has never ever gotten higher than 63c right now it's still testing, and it's current temp is 60c. pretty good for only having a stock heatsink and fan, while running it at 2.2ghz with 1.8v

2. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

hehe mines running faster with 1.6 volts :eek:) the cooler you can get your cpu the less voltage you will need to push it further, and it also extends its life just spend £14 around $26 on a decent heat sink its worth it in the long run

3. sagara

sagara Member

well i tried using less voltage, sure the temp was lower, but it wasn't running very happily. it would fail prime95 after 4 minutes

4. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

erm as i explained before, you need to get a new cpu cooler that cools better than your stock one, by getting this it will allow your cpu to run cooler which will allow your cpu to run at a lower voltage stable.
    resistance
    the more heat a circuit produces , the more voltage is required, as when a circuit gets hot the resistance goes up due to the molecules being further apart in the conductor, by reducing the temperature the molecules become less spaced out and you need less voltage to get the circuit running properly.have a look in your physics school book it will probibly explain better than i can on here.

i hope this helps you understand the need for a new cooler :)

5. sagara

sagara Member

lol i know plenty about physics to know what you're talkin about. well for now, it's ok, since the temperatures aren't getting insanly hot. i'm just glad that with this setup, it runs cooler than it did when it was all set at stock. i cleaned it before i overclocked anything. so, for now, temperature wise, it's doing good, since it ran fine at these temps with it's stock settings before it was cleaned. i think i already mentioned about me getting better cooling equip. if my dad okay's it (his comp, he said i could do whatever to it, but i dunno how he would react to me wanting a new h/s and fan. probably wouldn't care)

6. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

I have a Compaq v2000 laptop with a Turion 64 CPU. The Pheonix BIOS gives me nothing to work with as far as overclocking goes.

I want to be able to have it overclocked when I've got it at home and sitting on a cool level surface. On the road I realize the fans can get blocked and such. It runs at 1.6GHz now, and I've had it running at 100% it's capacity for two hours and it maintains a steady 63 degrees celcius on the AMD Dashboard.

WHy is the BIOS so locked up? And I don't really care about anything but gettin git unlocked at clocked up a little bit.

7. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

8. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

Those programs will tweak the Turion too? I'll check into here, but if anyone knows off the top of their head

9. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

The link and info is perfect, but I can't find clockgen for Turion processors anywhere.

10. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

can you tell me what chipset the motherboard uses in your laptop, as clockgen is written for specific motherboard chipsets.

However i have read that you shouldnt even overclock turion's.

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=52793

Read the 2nd post, although reading past the blokes punctuation is a bit awkward.

But if you are sure you want to overclock, get pc wizard from this link http://www.cpuid.org/pcwizard.php Get the motherboard information from your pc, then look at the clockgen downloads page to see if there is a compatible version.

PS The information is out there, you just to look carefully , google and persistance rule out in the end =o)

11. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

Motherboard: Manufacturer- Quanta, Model- 3093 47.0D, Chipset- ATI Radeon RS480 Rev. 01 Southbridge- ATI SB400

The link that was provided me by another user up above, was specific to the v2000 and suggested that the upcoming turions were goign to be perfect for overclocking. Now, we have no idea what kind aof laptop that guy in your link was talking about. I saw that site too and checked it out, but who knows what build of a laptop he had, if it was a crappy cooling set up or he custom made his laptop improperly. All I know is I can try a little bit.

My CPU tops out a 63 degree celsius after 2 hours of dvd encoding 100% CPU usage. It never goes any higher than 63 degrees celcius, even after that second hour, it hit 63 in a half hour i'd say. I use the AMD powernow dasboard for the readings.

That is pretty stable temp, and is really ripe for overclocking. two hours of 100% usage and it can't go over 63 degrees celcius is awesome.

This CPU is worth clocking a little bit. The only true concern once it is clocked, is you always have to use it a nice flat level surface to make sure the fan and heatsink can work their magic. I've pushed 70 degrees celcius after awhile of browsiung the internet in powersave mode, but it was sitting on my lap with 0, and i mean 0 airflow.

The CPU is perfect for clocking just a little bit. You have to remeber it is probally the same chip as the higher end ML, just set up diff for supply and demand of the cheaper chips. They'll take a ML-40 or something similar and set it to play like a ML-30 (Except for the cache size difference in some), because the ML-30 is a huge mid-range seller and outstrips demand for it. This concept is the heart of overclocking.

I can see where it would be dangerous to start clocking the ML-37 or ML-40, like the guy in your link has. But the ML-30 should undoubtedly be able to clock to at least the ML-37 range. Again, it's probally the same chip, just locked up with the Pheonix BIOS to sell cheaper. And the v2000 has proved very proficent in cooling, leveling off at a steady temp of 63 at 100% CPU usage for hours. I've already contacted clockgen about gettin gthe program for it.

Other people should to, to get them to release it. They have clock gen alot of other laptops.

12. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

have you checked the RS480M2-IL chipset version it is an ati based version of clockgen all be it for an msi board, but it might be worth taking a look.

if it doesnt come up with the sliders for the fsb then i guess it is incompatible

oops there the link to the download http://www.cpuid.org/cg.php?cgid=ICS951412

mind you do this at your own risk.

you said that your processor was running at 65ºc you need to bare in mind, thermal throtelling will probibly kick in around those temps which may limit any possible overclock. :eek:(

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  13. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

Having clockgen for your for your specific mobo is probally important, I'll keep it in mind until clockgen get's back to me. Thanks, if they don't come up with anything I'll try it.

14. smallgun

smallgun Guest

hello all i have just put to gether a gaming rig that has all the goodies below in sig. i am curently running xp home. bios version is f4 i am looking for some good overclock setting for this set up if any one has a good bios config that they would like to share that would be great. i have been playing with it a but i am not totaly adept at oc yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2005
  15. adamryer

adamryer Guest

Can you OC DDR2 pc4200 memory? Mines running at 533mhz i was wondering if i can bump it up any more?

16. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

[bold]Smallgun[/bold], overclocking settings tend to be different between motherboards (even the same model) and cpus are very different from cpu to cpu, might be worth you reading through this thread fully, theres alot already stated in the posts that should help you

[bold]adamryer[/bold] , you should be able to squeeze more out of it , but you might have to loosen your memory timings off to obtain the best results. ocz do some vfast ddr2 might be worth looking into =o)

17. rpertusio

rpertusio Member

originally by ck5134:
    Thanks ck5134 for the version you linked. It worked to overclock my Compaq Presario V2000 with a Turion processor.

- rp

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  18. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Glad to be some help :)

19. bakbukkem

bakbukkem Member

Hi guys, does anyone have any experience with overclocking a dual core OPTERON (100 series)? I'm planning on putting together a new rig, and the new system is going to be either an ATHLON 64 X2 3800 or an Opteron 165 /170, and I would like to know which processor is the best overclocker, from real world experience.

Also I would like to know what would be a good OC memory for Nforce4 motherboards. I'm currently upgrading the memory on my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (NF3) rig to a kit of 2X512MB Crucial Ballistix pc3200's, but I have no idea what would be an equally superb memory for Nforce4 boards. Any reports on that would be very welcome as well.

20. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

Opteron= No, this is a processor that will never see overclocking in its intended realm, it is a server proscessor.

Athlon 3800+ X2 is your best bet, very ready for overclocking. Be careful thoug as always, you aks questions like this we have to assume your very new, and have the highest probability of burning a $315 CPU.

Crucial XMS is the best memory in my opinion, pick somethign in that or around that category.