1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No offense, but I'll take reduced performance if it means my board is still going to be working in a few years' time.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

who is going to keep a board for over 2-2.5 years unless its was like over £130?

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That was assuming it's the SAME quality. I don't know much about that board so I'll have to look into it.

4. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

I've had my board, whole computer as well, for almost three years and I still don't plan on upgrading for another two! Maybe performance mongers would upgrade constantly but I see no point. Wait five years and everything will be 5-10x faster but that's slowing down to 2-4x faster for some reason. I may know why but I can't really word it.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Recession, monopoly on the market. Lack of innovation. Maybe they have gotten to a point where current research can't make it much better and they need a huge breakthrough.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it hadn't broken, and I hadn't decided to make my Core 2 Duo my gaming PC (it was never my original plan, the 4200 is still plenty fast enough for me) I'd still have my two year old A8N-SLI SE now.
    my two oldest boards lastest 5 and 2 1/2 years of use consecutively, and both still work fine.

Abuzar: I'm going the latter right now, new tech just doesn't appear in any great "wows" since the 8800 and the Core 2s came out.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

My Armor cost me a pretty penny. So I've decided to get a Ultra Case and now I can sell my PC at 770. Got lots of calls about it. Hopefully it's gone soon. Then it's back to me Celeron with 768MB of Ram running ubuntu.

I will be building a Octa-Core Nehalem computer next!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're going to wait that long until your next PC build? lol

Recasing my server tomorrow, will post a pic once I've completed the op. The Antec 900 was nice, but didn't turn out to be quite my cup of tea. Not that I drink tea of course, despite the fact that I'm british, I've never touched the stuff.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Tea is a Pakistani/Indian thing. You guys were just wannabees :p

Maybe not a OCTA core but yes I will wait for the Nehalem quad cores.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds a bit more reasonable.

Didn't the chinese invent tea?

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Not REAL tea. Not Black Tea.

Muslims made firearms too! We are so badass lol.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ahem, off topic. :)

On a more related note, do we know how well the 45nm quads overclock? I know the 8000s can push silly numbers but I never found much about the 9000s presumably due to their late availability.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Because it's still an excellent MB that will suit the majority of peoples needs to a tea! It's modern and up to date, at a price that won't bankrupt you and more than competes with motherboards costing more! Not only that, it's a better MB today, than when it first came out! It didn't take GigaByte very long to add the Ultra Durable, as the very first DS3L's originally had regular capacitors and different Mosfets! The original also only had 3 phase power regulation! That's given way to 6 phase like mine and yours have, as well.

The Company is good, the product is good and the Quality is excellent. I know I'm more than satisfied with mine!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As am I - my only regret is not buying two of them!

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Can we add ramsinks to the voltage regulators?

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I don't see why not. Lots of motherboards have heat sinks for all or some of their VRMs. I think the size of the ram sinks will cause some problems, fit wise!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Which ones are the voltage regulators? Will this help performance in any way?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's for you...

Not me! lol

Too much money.

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

These are the power mosfet core regulators found near and around the CPU socket and ferret core choke. They are typically layed flat on side. So YES, they help performance greatly if overclocking or just plain stressing the mobo when benching. On our Gigabytes, we are faced with a scattered effect, so I use VRAM chip sinks form Enzotek sliced in quarters and glued down with 2 part thermal cement. It works as good as it's gonna' get for this mobo. Better units place these in large groups so we can add them beautifull HR-09's as linked earlier (I love them). Any kind of sliced up copper sink will work as long as it can clear your CPU cooler and surrounding components.

@ sammorris, Nice to meet you, now you know one person who has also had a great experience with 3 Abits in over past 5yrs. And now you also know 1 more person who has also had several bad BIOS and OC issues with 3 Gigabytes in past 2 yrs. I also have 3 friends who have experienced the same OC limits and issues with their DQ6 of each P35, X38, and of corse the P965. Not all very bad, just picky guys like all of use who like to get what they paid for.

But guess what? I too have had some good with 1 of my Gigabytes and it wasnt the DQ6 of all things, it was this trusty C-DS3R on DDR3. It's by no means perfect or beats any of my other builds, but it's a good daily user. Oh ya, and I also had several of them bad experiences with a few Abits (BIOS). But you cant win them all. I am a long term ASUS fan and I will be the first to say they too have had some quirks in even their top end mobos.

But unlike the cheap mobos, a quirk in an ASUS or Abit is usually one for a picky OC'r and would never be noticed by stock or regular users. I still have my Abit IC7-MAX3 (1st OATES unit on air, wich quickly brought us heatpipes to desktops) of 5 yrs daily OC'd to 4GHz on a P4E. and it hasn't had a new BIOS for over 3yrs easy and was my only mobo at the release of Prescott to truely be Prescott ready out of the box. My P4C800-E required me to drop my old P4 Northy 2.4C just to boot and flash. Not to mention the 1rs of mant to be optical SATA ready from the get go.

I am not an Abit fan per say, but I use them for builds from time to time and when one stands out , I willl use it myself. And that's exactly what the IP35-Pro did for me So I guess you will just have to read the many top rated reviews and take our word for it, if you want.

But in all fairness, it's cool to introduce new builders to a few choices, not so limited just because you had a bad one. If that were so, I'd be stearing enthusiast OC'rs away from a lot of potential mobos. Even an ASUS or Gigabyte or 2.

But in the end, over here, in my shop, the IP35-E wins over the DS3L in many areas of performance per dollar spent as well as energy efficient, and low heat output. I'd rather jsut let the buyer choose based on their needs and budget. I dont get kick back from either company, lol. I only wear one ring on my finger, and she'd just asume I dont buy any of them. But she sure dont complain whe hers breaks and there's one to replace it in just an hr or so.

Food For Thought, or bits for bytes!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008