1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I like several boards/brands for different things. I dont usually stay with ASUS for my nVidia and AMD needs, I ove DFI for them.

I am still tempted to try the X38-DQ6 of my own on DDR2 (the non T version). have they gotten past the buggy loss of profile settings inharient of the past few Dq-6 and even my DS3R. My DQ6 often just slugged during an occassional restart and often required hard reset and then reset of profile settings. I hope they fixed this cause it was very annoying, even happened on certain resume from S4 (since S3 hardly worked) wich required going through POST. Oh ya, I hear they did something to zero (fix to load line) the vedroop under load. does it work?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I have no clue what the stats are for a 3870 x2 vs an 8800GTX.

As far as benching goes, I do it when I first get kit to see what I can score, I know I'll never be top of any charts as I don't use IRam and don't use LN or DIce.

I wouldn't have changed from my 7900GTX if I hadn't changed to a 30" screen, but having done so, that card just wasn't up to the job.

This 8800 handles things fine so far, but it won't be long until it struggles without turning everything down (which I don't want to do)

I probably wouldn't have chosen to get the X38 board when I did if I hadn't fried my P5B deluxe, as that death and the release corresponded, that how that decision was made.

Spending most of my tweaking time ATM playing with the memory.

I've just got another set of Ballistix 8500 (tracer this time) and it seems to be even better than either set of Dominator I use.

I can't believe that the 8500 Tracers are now available for just £50 inc vat now (there’s no excuse for slow memory any more)

Currently set at 1200 5-6-6-16, with CPU set to 450x8 FSB 1800.
    All fully stable so far and I know there’s still some more tweaking to do before I reach the edge of stability.

Still trying to get past 480 FSB, as that is causing issues at present, I may have to try another BIOS F3 was good, I'm using F7 ATM and it seems to give a pretty good balance.

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Those Ballistics are some awsome RAM, arn't they. What VDIMM are you using for that timing and spd? I can hold 5-5-5-15 but at close to 2.3v. I'll try to loosen mine for less VDIMM and see how she does.

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the only problem i had with my 667 balistix were the failure rate on them. 4 stick, 3 fail after oc...albeit to over 850mhz :)... but all replaced within 48hours :O

superb custom service.

form the benches i have seen SLI 9600GTs are beating the x2s, and cost cheaper :D. they are superb cards.

now its your choice. save space, and stop yourself from getting a nvidia mobo, for a little less performance, or use the sapce, as that is why you bought the damed case :p, and shell out for an expensive 680 or 780 or 790 mobo.

the 9800GTX have been 3dmarked, and GPUz shows a 25mhz core over the GTS, and 1100 on mem, and over 1600 on shaders......

AN OVER CLOCKED GTS, (with same cooler >-( )

WHAT ARE THEY DOING. they are re-badging G92 cores, OCing them, and the expect us to pay $599 for them...... no way. this is a 2006 architecture still being used, just milked. i hope the r700s will be giving them a run for their money. also they have 256-bit interface...a bit low no, but then the mem speed makes up for it.

the r700s are the same IICR. 256bit interface, but at least the have double the shaders from 320, to 640. but it looks like ati are doing the same, just beefing it up, no architecture revolution, like the 7series to 8 series.

cant wait for the NEXT NEXT series, to hopefully be PROPER stuff.

nehlam looks promising, but is tooted to run very hot, even with its 32nm proccesing. and the 10.5 k chips from amd are looking to be about only 10-20% slower per clock. not bad at all, if they can OC better than intel, we have a war on hand, good for the consumers :D cos of price.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know the feeling, I wouldn't have changed my GPU this early either!

Shaff: As of now, ATi have no research funding since AMD can't afford it. Since they can't put out a brand new product to raise the performance stakes, they can only milk their existing architecture. nVidia only need do the same to stay ahead. Why spend millions on a new product when you're still selling more cards than your rival using outdated tech with no threat of being overthrown?

6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

What's this about being stuck on CrossFire? I am told you can just disable Multi GPU in ATI Control pannel. I do see the setting but never bothered to do it. It is an ATI driver feature, not the mobo or card itself. This can be done just like turning off SLI on nVidia to run multi monitors again for media and presentation work.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

We knew that (or I think we all did) but what we were discussing is if you can do it with the HD3870X2 since it's a single card.

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

im sure that with the x2 crosfire is disabled, via grye box, thats untickable. shows that its a single card, and doesnt need xfire to be on, as internal xifre is.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry, I don't follow...
    I meant can you disable one half of the single card...

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

no. thats would be liek disabling your entire x1900xt the Cat picks it up as ONE gfx, therefore you would have to disable the whole thing

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Oh ya, bringing back a long forgotten tech from the past. I still have a running ATi Radeon Rage Fury MAX 128mb 4x on my ASUS P3V-4x It will be cool to see what they can do now. Any word or results on if they will work in quad?

I remember being able to pipe DVI to my then SONY Vega with DVI so it must be at least switchable for multi monitor. I cant remember if it showed up as multi GPU like my then, 3DFx Voodoo 5.

Cool old stuff and man, what a price tag on that Voodoo stuff. I got to keep the extra from work and it for sure was selectable and quad monitor capable, This was the origional, like, CrossFire.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    That feature is turning up on a lot of multi-gpu motherboards. The P5N-E had a little bridge card that did the same thing!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thought i'd post in here seeing what im doing now is OC'ing not building...lol
    here is a shot of orthos after i got my E8400 up to 3.6ghz.
    [​IMG]

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nice one, we're making progress!

15. yujin93

yujin93 Member

im a total noob at computer stuff and i want my CPU to go faster i heard from my friend that u cld overclock my CPU...i got an ASUS motherboard and an AMD ATHLION 4000 CPU...how do i overclock my CPU?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Go into the BIOS and raise yout front side bus speed, do it gently mind, or you'll have stability problems.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i got greedy..lol
    i bumped it up to 412mhz 3.7ghz its running there but failed in orthos. so i backed it down to 3.65 same results.so i got it back to 3.6ghz. heres the odd thing. tested it on orthos again @3.6ghz ran about 14 mins and then failed. i have it running the everest stress test now. i think i got all the settings back to where i had them stable for 4 1/2hr @3.6ghz cant remember if i had my vcore at 1.30v or 1.35v??? and to be honest i think i have it at 1.325v now..

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nice going Robert!! :-D You could prolly bump your vcore up to 1.35v-1.37v and be ok. Make sure to check your specs on the Intel website.... You might even bump your RAM up a smidge to 2.25v and see if that may give you some more stability. If you can get it to run for 3+ hours on Orthos at 3.6GHz you're golden!! Good luck buddy....

...gm

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im gonna try and bump up the mem volts that seems to be whats holding it back. i had it running orthos at 3.6ghz for about 4 hours. like i said i got greedy and tried 3.7 wouldnt do it. now i cant get it to be stable at 3.6ghz again.it will run in orthos for about 20 mins then fail. but i let it run on everest stress for like a hour and no problem???

im burning a disc right now once thats done i will go in and mess with the mem volts a tad bit

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok here is what i just did.

vcore up to 1.35v from 1.30v
    fsb up .1v
    mch up .1v
    ddr2 is at +.4(takeing it to 2.2v) if i put it to +.5v it flashes in the red. is it ok to take it up to +.5v?

what is a normal temp for the cores when under load? i found a site that showed temps at differnt stages adn cant seem to find it again

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008