1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok guys. i put all those volts that i up'd yesterday, back to normal and changed the mem multi to 2.0 and got this here.

3.7ghz

ORTHOS

as you can see orthos ran allnight smoothly...YES!!!!!!!!!!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ: That's a bit suck. Try it in another board, just to check?
    NuckNFuts: Cooler than an X2? Under load my 4200+ didn't break 50C in a Zalman CNPS7000b-Alcu, the lowliest Zalman heatsink there is.
    Rob: Nice one, slowly but surely, the overclock creeps up! :)

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    That's the rub! The only other 775 MB I have is mine and I'm not messing with it for nothing. It's running perfect and fast and I ain't a gonna mess it up! LOL!! No Way!. I hope it's the CPU as it's still under warranty!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I still have my old X2 4400+ (89w) on air (Zalman 9500-Cu) and It ran much cooler OC'd then my previous x2 4200+ (also 939 but 120w). For the X2 4400+ @ 3.GHz it was hard to get it to the 55c level to trip the FAN controller to go 100% under load. Idle was usually around 40-41c. My soon after X2 4200+ (AM2) actually got otter under same OC on newer nV590-SLI. I got temps to 66c+ Primed and only to 2.8GHz half the time but with higher HTT and FSB. Idle was usually same 41-42c as 939 vession. I will say, the real only improvement for bragging scores was the RAM on DDR2 over my previous on DDR1 @ 2.5-4-3-7 @ 300MHz.

So now I'm on the X2 6400+ Black Edition and I need to for sure drop a ThermalRight Ultra 120 eXtreme cause this thing get hot fast. And unlike the Presslers under load, the AMD's don't remain too stable under heated stress as long. Prescott's can sure handle the heat under hard work even to 70c and this is maybe only limited to TM throttling.

There're all fun to OC. But one thing that stood out in the DDR1 days, was the nV590 took DDR1 to DDR600 much esier then (then current) Intel !865PE, just as nice as for !875P and held it there much more stable on a same RAM clock comparable.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, I bought my 4200+ SKT939 in late June 06... any ideas which version that makes it? (It's still running even now so I suppose I could check the BIOS)

6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

If it was new, then more then like a AM2 90nm with BH stepping. And mine did 3GHz on air but w/ over 1.55v. It did also do only 1.32v at stock speed on the low ed with good temps. but as soon as you passed the 1.4v the heat monster came out to play. Lol! The 65nm did a lil bit better on temps to same oC. I quickly replaced it with a 65nm till I got my X2 6400+ BE last yr. My brother had the early BE on 5000 or 6000, I forget but it ran just as good as mine but half the L2 cache.

If it was old stock, then it'd like be 939 and 120w 90nm I had that too back when new along with a (939) x2 3800+and it did 2.8 nicely on air. for an OC'd 89w 90nm.

7. tripplite

tripplite Guest

couldn't agree more thats why im a "Core 2 Duo", "" were for abuzar, :)

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Tripplite,
    Strange, I had my D-940 running at 3.84GHz on an Asus P5P800 SE MB, and heat was not an issue. At 4GHz, that's a different story as the temps went wild! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Not strange at all, Every C1 stepping of a D I played with was good with heat and even when OC'd t high ends, they handled it great and stable. Every hot AMD I had became iffy when reaching it's heat ceiling height. B2 And let's not forget about the excelent low priced OC'r, the revised D-945, a bit warmer but came close behing them good 'ol C1's. This D-945 (based on binned C1 D-950) was a shoe in for 4.5GHz on quality air.

Remember, we couldn't compare the Core 2 with D since (for me) in May of '05 and Core 2 was just a dream to come true in time. X2 AMD wasn't even here yet, so for me, the (my 1st) D 840 was a awsome OC'r to 4.2GHz and was more stable then my old nF4-SLI.

By stable, I am not takling about high score, just plain real worl smoothness and stability, less to no crashes and freez up or required hard restarts. Afterall, what good is that braggin high clock if you can't count on it 100%?

Now we can compare Core 2 with any AMD and they win. But it's not always about the winning in numbers (scores). The AMD is fun to tweak with and so much so, I may grab a new DFI 790 on DDR2 to mess with on a new Phenom. How are you AMD guys doing with the AMD quad OC's?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Overclockers, Have any of you come accross suitable 120mm fans with the 4 wire PWM control other then the Arctic Fan 12 PWM, REXFLO DF1212025BH-PWM 120MM 4-PIN PWM, or COOLJAG EVERFLOW R121225BUAF 120MM 4-PIN PWM.? What other good reliable low noise, high output PWM 4-wire control fans are out there?

I like the idea of the Artic fan system for the way you can link several of them the the mobo digital PWM controller. However, I'm not sure the mounting method is suitable for my needs for use with the ThermalRight rentention wire clips.

Artic Fan users, can the soft post be removed to expose the base plate hole to "surface mount" (not a full lenght through post) a screw or clip?

Thanks!

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    One of the things I discovered that's not in the manual for my DS3R Rev. 2.0 is that 3 of the 4 fan headers are controlled by the motherboard. For instance, my 80mm side exhaust fan is currently controlled by the Northbridge (Chassis), and the Rear 120mm exhaust fan is set manually to 1300 rpm. The Power Supply fan, I'm not sure! I have a Silenx 40mm on the Northbridge and it is going bad, so I don't get steady rpm readings. It may even be all of the headers. I'll tell you better after I install the Antec I'm replacing it with. I had a hard time finding screws long enough! #4 Sheet Metal 1.25" long, if you need them. Would have preferred 1" ones though, but these will work just fine! #4s are easy to find, but not one's that long! lOL!!

Anyway, what all this seems to do is keep my temps very even, and the fans speed up and slow down individually according to the needs of the MB. It controls the temps better than I can manually. It's weird (well I don't think so), you can speed up the CPU fan and the temp actually goes up! It's very dry here and I think that that's the reason. Dry air doesn't cool as well as moist air! I guess if you have too much airflow the air is just is moving too fast to collect enough heat. That's my thoery anyway! LOL!! Makes sense though!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

My P35C-DS3R wasn't all that responsive on fan control so I kept it on outboard controller. I was however, very impressed with the Abit uGuru chipset BIOS utility for fan control. The Abit IP35-Pro had enough 3-wire fan header on various ares of the mob, but you were not limited to what fan plugged there and thus was what sensor controlled it. In each uGuru BIOS or Windows utility, one can adjust each fan, its level, its duty cycle and as to what sensor it responded to. 4 fans can all respond to CPU loading or 3 to NB loading, stc. It was nicely responsive compared to what I have seen on any mobo recently, of corse not since my 1st Abit uGuru on !975X. The only other BIOS fan controling I saw this good was on my ASUS P5N32-SLI with fan start up boost and idle control. Although, it was an nVidia and didn't OC all that great for my current D-840 on the low 12x, and you were limited to controlling the fan assocciated with the labeled fan header sensor (ie: NB sensor controlled only fan connected to NB fan header).

it has also been my experience that all the Abit BIOS I had since the Canterwood chipset did great job at monitoring temp and spd.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Gm: The Nexus and Scythe Kama sit firmly in the 'near silence' category - they're incredibly quiet, but they push moderate amounts of air (far more than typical Coolermaster or NZXT stock fans though)
    For reasonable levels of air on a tolerable but higher noise rating, a downtuned FM121 or an S-Flex is a better bet, as to push more than 50CFM that's what you need.
    The 1200rpm coolermaster is interesting, but if it's like any other coolermaster fan it'll push the same air as the other two you posted because it's not as efficient in its design.
    Theone: Nick uses the fan controller on his motherboard with his two Aerocool 140mm fans, it's very dynamic, but because the two fans are so quiet in the first place, the continuous speed adjustment isn't annoying. I tried this when I recased my server, and found that the BIOS on the A8R-MVP is completely bogus! It only lets you have "QFan on" or "QFan off" for two of the fans and the third one doesn't seem to work at all! It's kind enough to tell you what settings it uses, but "press enter to change value" - nope, does nothing! Additionally, pressing F10 to save and exit doesn't work either, despite it saying so down the bottom? Methinks the keyboard input for that BIOS is a little bugged...
    I haven't tried the fan control system on the P35C-DS3R, currently all my CASE fans are silent, it's just the PSU and Graphics card that are audible. The GPU is more than tolerable, the PSU is starting to annoy me as I've had to put up with it for over a year now.
    Nuck: That is pretty impressive. What'd be great for me is something like a PCI fan controller that has software to do that, I could keep all my fan connections in relevant places...

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

it seems that we all have the same MOBO or versions of it here.
    i have the GA-P35-DS3R v2.1 i know this is different from the 2.0 and 1.1 versions. and quite a bit to. i for one cannot control the fan speed from the bios i dont have that option. is there a way i can control them without the bios?

the manual isnt to informative on the bios part. let alone about the fan control. has anyone done any reading or ran into anything about this board that might help me out. if so point me to a link so i can read also

thanks.

oh yea.
    i am running good at 3.7ghz 412mhz. mem multi @ 2.0 running at 824. well under my rated 1066 speed. no big deal. keeping the mem multi at 2.0 has let me run stable at 3.7ghz. i did get greedy..lol bumped the mem multi up to 2.4 so its running at 988.8 now.i have orthos running just over a hour now. gonna let it run all day while im at work. should be fine... seems like when i put the mem multi up to 2.5 or 3.0 it all becomes unstable to make it work at those increases what might i need to do to the mem to get it stable at that speed... which at 2.5 its still not at its rated speed.but 3.0 is overclocked some. 1236 not alot but is over...

now thinking of it if i try the freq at 420mhz i will be at 3.78ghz ,makeing the mem run at 1008 @2.0 multi. not sure if i want to take it up to 420 or not..lol

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately it's not something I've tried with board since I use Sunbeam Rheobuses (uber cheap, but unsuitable for cases without doors as the LEDs are stupidly bright!)

1236 is a huge increase over 1066 for memory, it doesn't overclock like core 2 duos! lol. I'm not surprised it wasn't stable at that speed. I'd avoid going over 1100 really.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

that sounds very good...but myself i fell like i want to push it so i can be part of the guys with the high speeds...lol i shouldnt and i know i shouldnt but its hard not to
    im at 3.7ghz and its running great.. how long should i let it run(continueously)? i tend to leave the puter on allnight when im seeding torrents is this a good thing to do on a new build?

i heard someone say/use the phrase. "let it set in" find its running spot. how long of a run time should this be? am i makeing ant since here?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I usually set it up and then give it a workout. If it can't handle it to start with there's always a chance it won't later on.

19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

No prob there Rob, it's cool to see what that baby can do. I do it lke that too, open her up and let's see what this baby can do!

You have the core do hit 4.2GHz but not likely too long on basic, to mid quality air.

As for break in, I dont go for that. Keep in mind, for the 1st week easily, temps will not be the lowest till the TIM sets in. If you're gonna' see how high a score you can get, do it now when new. CPU's tend to break in to a wear point where as over months at high OC, they tend to need more, and some might even show a slight degrade reuiring morevcore, or relaxed spd. I only had 2 do that, but you should know up front it is possable, and often normal. I had the opposit too, where a daile OC'd CPU got to where it was so used to the OC profile that booting at stock AUTO was crap till I upped things a bit. Somethimes it's the high end mobos to, really optimized for overclocking. It's like they freak out when they see a stock, normal profile.

As for your overnight work, I'd use CMOS profile saves if you have them. I'm told by some the non "C" version and rev 2+ has this. Mine is rev 1 and doesn't GA-p35C-DS3R. )I wish it di cause it losses it's saves on exit occassioally on restarts and and resume from S4). If anything, at the very least utilize the C1E along TM mode, not EIST. and or you can manually change your FSB to lower heat overnight, This is what my notebook does for power save (a comon feature of the Sant Rose chipset and CPU's on new 800FSB). At least make use of HDD time out features to save heat anywhere you can. I use a 15mn timeout for my torrent server, so even on drop outs, I have 15mn to stayed tuned, more is OK or it just slips into S3 then S4.

Good Luck!

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

so if i take my freq up to 445mhz what would that give me for a OC? what would it put my mem up to if i kept the mem multi at 2.0?

if my figureing is right

445x9=4005 which is 4.00ghz??
    445x2.0=890

now are these realistic numbers?

;)~

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008