1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    Your opinion of course, but I don't agree! Especially when the person building the computer is a Newbie! You would be very surprised the hardware that has broken down during that first burn in over the years. Since it wasn't overclocked to begin with, I knew that the fault was within the component that failed and not something I had done! It certainly saved me a lot of aggravation!

You can talk about 4.2GHz all you want, but that speed is not viable for 99% of the people in this forum, or for the equipment they normally buy because that's what they can afford! I will guarantee that it won't fold successfully! Until I see some benchmarks and a decent run with Orthos that show different, that's how I will continue to feel!
    You've made that statement, fine. Lets see something to support it! I've head claims of 4.0 and higher, here and in other forums, but you know what? I've yet to see a single benchmark to support the claims anywhere! Sandra 2007, Orthos, OCCT. All the basics. If you don't have the software, I will be more than happy to take care of that!

Respectfully,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  2. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

You normally need High-End parts to overclock pass 4GHz point, air cooling solution is just not good enough, even if it's good enough, the system won't be as stable.

My question here is GA-P35-DS3R a good motherboard to overclock CPU's? and how far can it clock up to?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    I had no problem reaching 4.0GHz with 2GB of borrowed Crucial Ballistix 1066 memory (Gold, not the Black) with my Rev. 2.0 DS3R and an E6750. My current memory limits me to 3.55GHz with an E6750, although I run it at 3.5GHz to leave me a little cushion. It will be a 3.8GHz machine once I get the right memory as I won't go above 1.50v, and it takes about 1.57v to run at 4.0. It's just too risky in my eyes! I have no desire for water cooling. I learned at the tender age of 5 that electricity and water don't mix when I saw my mother's cat get electrocuted after chewing into a lamp cord on a damp basement floor.

There's practical limits, and then there's extreme limits. I prefer the former! To me, it's just not worth the cost just to get another 200MHz out of the CPU!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

oh ok, LOL, water and elec don't fit. I think i've ask this before, when overclocking, which is better higher frequency or multiplier?

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    I prefer the higher multiplier myself, as do most of the successful overclockers that I know from other forums. I know that with mine using the 6x multiplier I would have to set the fsb to 583MHz to get to my present 3.5GHz. I think you would almost certainly have to have 1066MHz memory to do it on my motherboard. I know that the E4300 suffered from some huge "black holes" at certain frequencies, so maybe not the best example.

Besides Nuck, I can only think of a couple of other people that I know of that even fooled around with the high fsb, and it didn't work out for them. I know because they asked me to try different multipliers when I built my E4300. I didn't have any success either. I couldn't even get it to boot at 400x7 for 2.8gHz, but it ran fine at 388x9 at 3.492GHz. Maybe nuck could give us a little insight into the Pros and Cons, since it's his preferred method.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I forget where I saw this, I think it might have been the anandtech forum's official P5N-E thread, but they said don't change the multi on the E4300 or E6600 (the 6750 etc. weren't out at the time), but do lower it for the 6300 and 6400? I'm not sure why that was...

7. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

most reviews on motherboard they turn the freq high and the multiplier low, which one is the safest and easiest way to oc? and like sam said some cpu like high freq and some don't

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The way I see it, the multiplier can be anything it likes, since things like C1E and Speedstep adjust it all the time however. The bus speed is what you're "overclocking" since that's what's running above it's rated speed. To me it seems inherently obvious that you want to go as fast as possible within as small a boundary of the original settings as possible, that to me suggests high multi, low FSB. I could be wrong though.

9. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

it sounded right, keeping the freq near stock speed, to be safe, but then again why people have higher freq and lower multi

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

They do that because if they can make the freq. go high enough they can get a better OC with low multi and high FSB. High multi and lower FSB might now be as stable for them. It just depends on a computer to computer basis.

11. neptune

neptune Regular member

this is the motherboard i have >>>ASUS M2NPV-VM AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

my cpu >AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz>> which i can only over clock to 2.20 ghz for about 24 hours with stock heatsink and fan after that pc shuts down. i cant get this cpu to go past 2.20ghz if i try it wont boot.

? what is stoping it the motherboard or the cpu

so here is my ? if i buy a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor >> which some people have got this cpu to 3.0. will my board leave me get it to 3.0 or am i better off buying a >AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor and just leave it at standard ghz

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

If you plan to overclock, then bin that motherboard.
    You are going to get nowhere with that board, what you managed is the limit.
    That CPU chould hit 2.5 easily enough and on the right board with the right cooling you could even get 2.7GHz.
    If you insist on using mATX boards then your options to OC will be severely limited.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

14. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I have this MOBO and rev, and I can save the CMOS in a profile. I wonder what's up with your board?

15. neptune

neptune Regular member

what board for amd you recomend :) thank you

16. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

It depends if you intend or are restricted by the use of mATX by your case.
    Can you confirm that you have an ATX compliant case?

It would also help to just run through what parts you already have so I can see what is best suited to what you have already (presuming you want to just change the board and nothing else)

17. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Amazing thing the internet, information just seems to be everywhere:
    Most surprising was finding this on the SiSandra FAQs:)

Q: What is the Dhrystone benchmark?
    A: The original Dhrystone benchmark is still widely used to measure CPU performance in industry under various versions/variants. The benchmark is designed to contain a representative sample of types of operations, mostly numerical, used by applications. Unfortunately this does not always represent a true real-life performance, but is useful to compare the speed of various CPUs.

The Dhrystone benchmark used here is a multi-threaded, 32/64-bit variant of the original one which runs under UNIX. Up to 64 CPUs in SMP systems are supported. The result is determined by measuring the time it takes to perform some sequences of instructions. Due to various changes, the result is not directly comparable with other Dhrystone benchmarks. However the MIPS (Million Instructions Per Second) should be the same for the same system (+5-10% variation) between benchmarks.

While the original benchmark does not compute anything, this version does check the results with the expected ones just in case there are problems with the CPU/memory.

Q: What is the Whetstone benchmark?
    A: The Whetstone benchmark is widely used in the computer industry as a measure of FPU or Co-Processor performance. Floating-point arithmetic is most significant in programs that require a Co-Processor. These are mostly scientific, engineering, statistical and computer-aided design programs.

The Whetstone benchmark used here is a multi-threaded, 32/64-bit variant of the original one which runs under UNIX. Up to 64 CPUs in SMP systems are supported. The result is determined by measuring the time it takes to perform some sequences of floating-point instructions. Due to various changes, the result is not directly comparable with other Whetstone benchmarks. However the MFLOPS (Million FLoating OPerations per Second) should be the same for the same system (+5-10% variation) between benchmarks.

18. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

About the multiplier. I'm wondering if this method:

ChillBlast - Closing the L1 bridges

is possible for my AMD Athlon 64 2800+ s754. It looks like it's very old since it talks about socket A :p Sorry about the site, the original wasn't there so I searched for an archive of it. One picture is missing but I don't think it's important.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Looks dangerous to me...

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    How can it be dangerous? It either works or it doesn't! LOL!!

Russ