1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Hi Guys, just finished testing my overclock on my new board and thought Id share the results here:-

Motherboard - GA-P35C-DS3R - Rev 2.0 - BIOS F6
    CPU - E8200
    RAM - Corsair XMS2 6400C4 (2 x 1 Gig)
    Freezer 7 Pro Cooler

Temps under load at stock speeds - for comparison
    Temps 25 mins into testing
    9 Hours into testing
    14 hours into testing
    Just before I stopped test
    10 secs after stopping Orthos
    5 mins after stopping
    15 mins after stopping

Temps have remained pretty constant since then so I think Ive found the idle/load temps. Would a more experienced member of the forum please have a look at the screen shots and let me know if anything seems off anywhere or theres anything obvious I can still tweak, Im not worried about any more speed as 3.2Ghz will be great but any fine tuning in terms of temps etc always welcome. Also to note that during this test the Case had all sides on but the side intake fan (120mm) was not connected. Thanks.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Pepp77,
    Since you are using the direct link, why don't you leave it the original size. You can't read some of it! LOL!! Just a suggestion.

Judging by the MB temps I would say you need to improve your case airflow, and if you haven't already, I would strongly suggest a 40mm fan on the Northbridge heat sink. I just installed one of these and man is it so much quieter than the Silenx it replaced. Runs at 2200 rpm instead of the 4500 rpm of the Silenx. Cheap too, unless the fan is all you buy. Then the shipping is higher than the cost of the fan! LOL!! Works well and I highly recommend it. You will need 2 #4x1.25" sheet metal screws as the fan is 20mm high, but it fits with no problem on my DS3R.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129036

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, it not working is the dangerous part. If you screw up wouldn't you break the CPU?

4. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Thats the size photobucket made them - I did check though and I could read them all so just assumed everyone else would be able to.

Ive done the following to try and help - didnt have the picture of the stock speeds temps but the rest are the same order.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/pja77uk/25minssmall.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/pja77uk/9hourssmall.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/pja77uk/14hourssmall.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/pja77uk/19hourssmall.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/pja77uk/10secssmall.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/pja77uk/5minssmall.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/pja77uk/15minssmall.jpg

Ive removed the part showing Orthos - so assume its running in first four and not in last three :)

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I guess you could if you were real careless, but hell, it's a Socket "A"! That's 4 socket generations ago. I don't think you will find too many people overclocking those. Besides, they were extremely hot to begin with, so bring the hot dogs and marshmallows! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

The side intake fan will pull air in and down onto the northbridge once I plug it in. Just havent yet as I havent run its cabling.

What sort of temp should I be aiming for on the Motherboard reading, and am I to assume from no mention of other temps that you think they are okay?

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

pepp. looking at your temps on the cpu and the fan speed. isnt your CPU fanrunning kinda slow? 500-600rpms
    my cpu fan is spinning at 1800-1900rpms.... if you could double your speed your temps would come down..

3.2ghz very nice well done

8. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Rob - Ive kinda been thinking the same thing - the fan on the heatsink should have a max of about 2500RPM, but its never turned at more than about 750 RPMs, Im not sure if its faulty, Ive had it spinning once at almost full RPMs but that was after I gave it a push when it wasnt moving at all when I first installed it, but some people and the manual say this fan doesnt speed up until it hits a certain temp. Ive had a look in the BIOS but cant find anything that could be keeping it slow, the setting I thought it was allows me to set it to auto or PWM or one other - Ive tried auto and PWM and both give the same speeds.

Before I overclocked at all the fan never turned until I loaded the CPU then it never went above about 450RPM.

Ive just converted a 102 minute film using convertx and it completed it in about 17 mins (old PC would have taken at least an hour) and the fan speed never went above 450 even though the CPUs were at 60-80 % utilisation and the temps for the 3 CPU sections are all about 10 degrees lower than under Orthos. Motherboard is still showing 47 degrees.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Pepp77,
    Don't count on that, because I found with mine that the side fan actually made the MB temp higher with the fan turned on and I tried it both directions. It's a "local" problem! By that I mean the CPU socket and the NB sit right next to each other and they are connected by the traces on the MB. The heat migrates through those traces. With a decent cfm 40mm fan on the NB heatsink it pulls a lot of the heat away from the CPU so it doesn't add more to the overall temps. I wound up dropping my MB temp from 47-49C to 38-40C just by adding the fan! I've tried 3 different NB coolers, but this still works better. On a real hot day running OCCT it might briefly hit 42C! By itself the side fan does pull air from that direction, but the CPU cooler is right behind it, so it aggravates the problem by pulling that air through the NB heat sink. Modding the MB by cleaning and resetting the NB and SB heat sinks with AS5 will help a lot too. BTW, the new Antec fan works better than the Silenx did! Much quieter too! LOL!! The room temp means a lot too. If the room is very warm, the temps will be higher. A lot will depend on the cfm of your case fans. I have over 100 cfm flowing through my case, yet none of my case fans runs faster than 1300 rpm. I'm moving about 70 cfm through the rear exhaust and about 30 cfm through the side cover exhaust fan. The front intake fan runs at full speed, but it's cfm is only around 30 cfm. This creates negative pressure inside the case, which makes the case vents move more air! That's why I love the Silverstones so much. You can run them well below maximum and still move lots of air, and they are very quiet doing it!

I'm happy with 38-40C, as I know that the P35 chipset runs warmer than the 965P did, and it used to run around 35-37C.

Oh, I forgot to mention that You need to plug the fan into a PS Molex plug or if it has the right end, plug it into the PS fan header on the MB.

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Right Ive now plugged the side fan into the CPU header and the CPU fan into the chassis header (as shown in Everest) and the motherboard temp has dropped to 43-44 degrees celcius and the CPU is idling at 26degrees (47and 47 for cores).

The side fan is doing 575 RPM and the CPU fan is doing 900 RPM.

Ill run Orthos for a bit and see what sort of temps I get, then Ill try swapping the two fans over to their correct headers.

Edit - okay 25 mins of Orthos to compare to previous readings:-

Motherboard - 40Celcius (-6)
    CPU - 46celcius (same)
    Core 1 - 64celcius (-1)
    Core 2 - 65celcius (same)

CPU fan = 730 RPMS(+100)

Numbers in brackets are the increase/decrease in temp or RPM.

So only the motherboard seems to have benefitted.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, still not an addict eh? lol

Can you tell me what is a cheap fan to get for the northbridge? I am done trying to sell this so I might as well get a chipset fan and a proper cooler and get this to 3.8ghz.

12. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Oh and I dont know if it makes much of a difference but my room is always fairly hot - at the moment it is a smidge under 28 celcius.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It does make a difference. Essentially no mater how good your air or water cooling is your temps will never dip below the air temp in your case, which should be around what the temp in your room is. So if the temp in your case is 30C the PERFECT air cooler or water cooler will keep your temps at 30C, no lower.

14. tripplite

tripplite Guest

i agree with abuzar1, when back at home i found my temps were getting to high for my liking, so i decide to relocate down to the basement were the house is significantly cooler, i could get lower temps with my fans running at lower speeds:)

-tripplite

15. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Okay Ive found out its definitely not the CPU fan thats the problem - Ive just plugged it into the PWR FAN header (3 pin) and it is running at 2450RPM - whereas the previous fan (the one thats on the front and was doing 1100-1200 RPM is now doing 600 RPM connected to the CPU header.

It appears as though the two supplied fans are 1200RPM fans as this seems to be there limit, however the two 4 pin headers seem to be limiting any fan that is plugged into it.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129036

Just installed it to replace that piece of crap Silenx and it cools as well and is much quieter at 2200 rpm than the Silenx was at 4500! LOL!!

Pepp77,
    28C is a smidge over 82F. That's a bit warm as it's right around the point where things start heating up faster with any computer! If that's your room temp then you are in very good shape temperatures wise. We keep it around 25C in our house so we have no problems. There's only AC in my room and a Swamp Cooler for the front room, so it gets in the 30-32c range in the front room, in the summertime. The D-940 runs a little warm, in the 37-39C range when it gets that hot. It's not bad really considering that the temperature outside is around 43c in the summertime.

I read what Abuzar said and I agree to a point! However, humidity has a lot to do with it too! Moist air cools better than dry air and you can get the temps below room temperature because of the evaporation proccess. There are so many variables in all of this you could write a book about it! LOL!! Realistically, the temps will remain higher than the room.

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Yeah - its always a bit sweaty in here lol

I have now turned off the Smart Fan control in BIOS and my CPU fan is running at 2450 and the front and rear fans are turning at 1100 RPM whilst the side fan is turning at 800 RPM. Current Temps are:-

Motherboard - 42C
    CPU - 42C
    Core 1 - 62C
    Core 2 - 62C

This is after almost 25 minutes of Orthos.

Also have just realised the manual that came with my motherboard is for a different BIOS version, thank god for PDFs, it says I can up the CPU fan speed from the 600 odd using EasyTune which is on the disc. Will be trying that next.

Edit - Well East Tune was pointless - didnt make a bit of difference to the speeds of the fans, so I have two choices it would seem have the fans constantly at full RPM and get roughly the above temps or use the Smart fan control an have 300 odd RPM at idle and upto 1200 RPM at load resulting in this:-

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/pja77uk/Seemstobethis.jpg

So looks like these are to be my temperatures :)

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

CPU core at 64C? I would be scared! lol

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Be Aware, better yet be wary of Acer!

I'm asking everybody I know to boycott Acer! They pulled a fast one on me the other day and I am Pissed beyond belief! I have an Aspire 5610 laptop with vista on it that my customer wanted XP-Pro installed on, and I told them that I would have to call Acer and see if it will work on this laptop properly. I was told by Acer's Tech support that while Acer doesn't recommend it, it will work just fine, but Acer couldn't be responsible for any problems caused by XP-Pro. I wiped the drive as it's the only way you can remove Vista and installed my XP-Pro. It Blue Screened at windows startup! I finally used the newest version of XP-Pro and it installed. Not one single thing that needs a driver works! Nothing! I called them back up and asked why they told me that it would work "Properly" (my exact word), and was informed that it wouldn't work as there are no XP drivers available for it. Not only that my Warranty is now Void! I can get a recovery disk (doesn't come with one, you have to buy it), but the catch is, this was bought in a Pawn Shop and we have no idea who the registered owner is, and the Pawn Shop won't give us that information. Without that information, they won't sell me the disk! Oh, they cheerfully told me that I could always purchase a new copy of Vista Home Premium Edition and install it!

I don't think that they are giving their customer's a fair shake, and people need to be warned about shady stuff like that!

Russ

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

@theonejrs,

That's odd unless it's like over 5yrs old. But I have had no problem changing back any 1 yr current notebook from Vista to XP x86. XP x86 SP3 is a challange (but can be tweaked). and XP x64 SP2 is a snap on supported BIOS and CPU. (T5x/T7x/and on)

Although, this is exactly why I test on a 2nd HDD 1st to make sure it takes and or have that ghost copy ready. I'm sure you can find a torrent CD or on eBay.

What rare or spacific devices are onboard that cannot be found directly from developer? Ie, Intel Pro Wireless, UAA Buss Driver, RealTek AC97 Audio, and Intel mobile graphics, etc?

I still have an old notebook on !915x w/ XP x86 MCE working w M770 and it is fine, yet my recent PM965 w/ T7700 is running XP x64 SP2 but the Microsoft or Intel UAA Bus driver must be found ahead of time for onboard Realtek codec to work with Audigy X-Fi .

Just Curious!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008