1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    It's the same as mine always is with my 7600GT. GPUs run a bit warmer than CPUs. It's not a problem!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

rob I don't think that's unusual for a gpu. I think mine was running about 45C or so in the Intel E6850 rig. I'm testing some other stuff right now or I could give you a pic. sorry. ;)

How are things going? Sent ya a PM earlier today. :D

....gm

edit:
    Dang Russ is pretty quick for an "older" guy.... hehehe. :p

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

OLDER GUY???????
    you mean he aint no SPRING Chicken?

i got the big red machine throttled back a tad bit. back down to 3.51ghz might take it down to 3.4ghz and try and get my mem running closer to 1066 than it is now. if i remember correct i had it at 3.42ghz and the mem almost 1066(1050) so i might try that route.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok i ran sandra on my newst UnderClock
    3.20ghz mem is at 1065 right at rated speed. 2.4 multi

MIPS

Mips Speed

i tried superPI but i cant fiogure it out. do i try it on all the settings or just certain ones? 16k,32k,64k,128k,256k, or 32mb??

i did 512k,took .o6seconds
    EDIT:
    superPI

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  5. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Rob - something doesnt seem right there, a 3.2Ghz clockspeed would be a 355 FSB yes? - at a FSB:DRAM ratio of 2.4 your ram should be at 853Mhz, you should be able to run an FSB of upto 444 with a ratio of 2.4 before you hit the 1066 the RAM is rated at.

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

your right Pepp. i just typed in the wrong thing. the multi is at 3.0.
    which gives me the 1065

i couldnt stand just haveing it at 3.2 so i put it at 3.42 for the last time. which is a 380mhz freq and the multi now is at 2.5 giveing me 950 on the mem. i think if i left it at 3.0 multi it would be to high. a little over 1066(1140)

new shot of sandra mips
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/mips-1.png

here is a shot of the mem bandwidth test
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/sandramem.png

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Some of these posts refer to old messages, I was at a LAN over the weekend...

Theone: Aha, a decent chipset fan! Much better... Given the reviews on newegg, I'm guessing it's an age old quiet-fan-but-prone-to-vibration.
    Out of interest, my server now sits in the Steel version of my gaming case, the exact same, except for the build material. Vibrations? Almost exactly the same as the other case, noticeable but not extreme. The top fan vibrates a bit less, but not by much.
    Pepp: CPU temp is fine, Chipset is a little on the warm side. Perhaps up the case airflow a wee bit?
    As for the CPU fan, with my freezer 7, it was useless at cooling below 1100rpm, I had to get it to about 1800 for it to cool my OC'ed CPU well in a warm case.
    I agree with Abuzar's concern about messing with the old A64, afaik the 64s are very different to the XPs architecturally, so I'd be wary about following any same guides, and if you mess up the CPU, tough luck, it may never work again.
    Those fan speeds are more akin to what I use in my PC, and I have 5 case fans, a total of 8 with the CPU, GPU and PSU. 1200rpm is the typical max for a stock case fan in a coolermaster case, for example. As for the CPU fan, it seems to be being limited a little too much. By 45C the speed should have risen significantly.
    On the chipset temps, generally the chipset doesn't receive much air because of the big warm CPU heatsink next to it. You can either use quite a high speed intake fan to push air in its general direction (side fans do very little to this end) or better still, use a CPU cooler that blows air towards the rear of the case, if you don't already. That makes qutie a big difference. If on doing this you still can't get the temps down, your best bet is to do what Russ does and fit a small fan to it. Personally I would try and go with something no smaller than 60mm if it's a real hottie, but mounting may be difficult.
    I will agree with Russ on the effects of a warm room. Having your PC in a hot area increases the temps of all the components, but not just linearly, exponentially. The PC warms up the room further and the temps increase, etc. This coupled with the reduced efficiency of components at higher temperatures means that a 5C room temp increase has seen as much as a 12C increase in CPU temps. That's from personal experience.

Theone: I've been boycotting Acer/Benq for years over shoddy build quality. Did you also know that their laptops contain backdoors so Acer can get at your stuff? Always reformat an Acer PC! lol
    As for the BluRay, you know full well the problem, DRM. It has to clear millions of security checks first. I'll openly admit here that I torrent HD films. I would never buy them in high def to start with, because ironically, it's ten times easier than owning the real thing, money aside! Double click and go... Think hard about that and compare it to your neighbour's experience.
    On the Driverguide front, that's weird. My free account has let me download everything I've ever needed. Good call on the Acronis software by the way, I was always quite impressed with it when I used it to partition my RAID array a few years back.

Abuzar: I had a slot cooler the same as that, Akasa not Thermaltake, but it's exactly the same product. It moved practically no air, they're a bit pointless really. 32CFM out of a PCIe slot is the sort of air graphics coolers push at nearly full speed. That thing didn't go anywhere near it. It's thermaltake for god's sake, you know what their product specs are like. It's also out of stock!

Cincyrob: That's an emergency setting restore. In other words, when it rebooted after the crash it wasn't stable enough to boot, so it shut down and rebooted at the stock settings. My PC has done that on occasions, but it hasn't set the settings back to default because it still thinks my CPU is stable...
    On the GPU temps, my HD3870 runs at nearly 90C under full load, about 50 at idle. Those temps are normal for graphics cards.

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Anybody still OC'n on AMD 939?

Well, I needed a back up PC and slapped together my old 939 x2 4400+ on A8N-SLI and wow, it runs cooler then I remember. But just to note, I lapped the Zalman 9500LED-Cu and even got more OC out of it. I know nobody's using 939's anymore but it is not bad for a 3yo rig on air. I got the PC in old sig back to 3.0GHz/900HTT w/ DDR600 and at only 1.49v and Primed, reached 53/54c average, and the nF4 to 1.6v, mobo reached only 33c ThermalRight HR-05-SLI w/ 80x25mm fan. I forgot how nice this CPU OC'd.

This same CPU used to hit this same temp at only 2.8GHz on early DFI LAN-Party UT. It is the 89w version with 2x1m L2 stepping JH-E6, so it helped a bit

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Do you by chance live in a "crooked" House? LOL!! I just don't understand that. I've got 7 fans, 3 of which run well below 1300 rpm, that piece of crap Silenx around 4500, and 2 fans that run at full speed and the CPU cooler, usually around 1100 rpm. I can hear a dropped pin hit the carpet. My computer sits not even 3 feet away from my right ear (32", I measured) and it's not the least bit annoying. You can lightly touch your fingertips to any part of the case, even right ove a fan and the vibration is absolutely minimal. You can feel only the very slightest vibration, and i mean barely. It sits on a wooden desk, which should make it even worse, but there's nothing vibrating to make any buzz. Some people are afraid to tighten the fan screws very tight and you get that, but that's about the only time I ever had vibration. I didn't tighten the one side cover fan quite enough. I guess people are afraid of breaking the fan. Just for funsies, I took an old one I was about to throw out and tightened the hell out of it like there was no tomorrow, and it didn't break. Taking a good look at those fan corners, they are pretty stout. Tighten away!

The new Antek fan for the MB heat sink is far quieter than the Silenx it replaced and has no buzz at all! At 2200 rpm Max, it should be. If that Silenx is 14dBA, then this Antek must be about a 7! LOL!! My video card fan is now the loudest thing in my computer and it's at full chat! Still, it's much quieter than the X800GT and doesn't have that "spooling up" sound every time the fan speeds up. Sounded like a jet engine, several miles away and was annoying as hell as all you could hear is this faint whine!
    No problem downloading anything that's there. The paid accounts get more choices. I only discovered this by accident following a link. When I tried to download the driver, it told me to sign in which I did. It popped up a screen telling me I could download this driver for $2.99 via PayPal. I got thinking about it a bit later and decided to go back and try again, signed in and searched for the files, but they were no where to be found. Since I was copy and paste from notepad and there were 5 files, all of them couldn't have been a mistake. The files simply weren't there. When i went back to the link, I had no trouble finding them, again copy and paste from the same list in Notepad! That tells me that only the free accounts have access to everything!
    Ironically, Blew-Ray might just wind up being the end for Sony. I got to thinking about what my friend that works in their R&D said, and I realized Sony will either have to give up on this hopeless dream of 100% security. It doesn't work, It can't work and it will never work! Man cannot create perfection! Sony's above all that and thinks they can! Sooner or later Sony will have to give in or lose the farm trying. People already have a bad taste in their mouths when Blew-Ray was promised and then not delivered any where near on time!

Sytyguy,
    That's the rub, there are no drivers listed at all for this model. It just says there are no drivers for this model. Everything must be on the vista disk.

That's all right. I'm giving Acer until next Tuesday to respond to my e-mail, which I got confirmation of them receiving this morning. If they don't, I'm going to post what I posted here on every forum I ever joined including some of the biggies, including Asus's own Forum. I can get a lot uglier than that if need be! Not nasty, but quietly firm. That's the route I had to take with Asus over a warranty repair of a motherboard. That, if you remember was over my fried P5P800 SE motherboard and it's replacement. I remember telling Sam that "they must think I'm 9 foot 7"! LOL!! After the fiasco with the 3, P5N-E motherboards, I went after them for every penny I had to spend, all the extra shipping, the $80+ dollars in phone calls, everything. I got every penny back! That experience is what finished me with Asus unless they learn how to staff and run a technical Service Department and customer Service! Believe me, I was a Service manager in a far more complex technical Service Department for half of my 38 year career in the Dental business! When you've built half of the computers for the Lawyers in the local area, you do get some good suggestions and advice, not to mention a letter or two from them, if needed, Freebie! Trust me when I say that you do not want to try and screw over this old man! LOL!! I'm reasonably fair, and I'll work and compromise with anybody, but if you try and stick it to me, all bets are off!

cincyrob,
    No, My spring has sprung! I only invented mud, dirt was before my time! Could have invented Wheel, but like commercial, I think, "Wheel Suck"! Even when someone dropped one carrying stuff and roll away, I no see! Oh well, what expect from Neanderthal! Tried hard invent Frisbie, make of stone ..... Fun, Too many Concussion! Next week, Invent sliced bread, opps, week after, Me Invent knife first ...... What Knife? ROFLMAO!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  10. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Russ,

You should use the clickable "[ + quote]" which brings in the OP'er's name in to play, then you will not make the mistake of quoting the wrong person.

I did not post that, Pepp77 did, but he is correct, the drivers are there.....I tried it myself, and they do download.

Here they are again,

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_5610.html

Best of luck.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sytyguy,
    Sorry about the wrong name! Got too much in a hurry with all these computers showing up for repair.

Thanks for the link. I never thought of Acer. I read something in a Forum about these drivers. Some will work and some won't Europe I'll try them and see what happens.

Thanks again,
    Russ

12. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Hey, no problem, but seriously why not use the "[ + quote]" like I just did, and you can delete what you don't want? Saves time IMO, and mistakes.

Just a thought!!!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nuck: Not strictly true about the 939s, my file server's a 939, as is my mate Nick's gaming PC (which performance-wise is relatively up to date).
    Theone: I'm well aware your PC is quiet, especially by normal standards, I don't really see why you need to keep telling us in full detail. My comment about the silenx fan was really along the lines of "now your quiet PC can become a silent one".
    As for the fans breaking, I've never managed it, and lord knows I've broken pretty much everything else I use in some way!
    On the Blu-Ray front, does any of this surprise you, given Sony's corporate attitude in the past?
    Sytyguy: Even now I often forget that and just write the quote = and type the name out!

14. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Sorry, I didn't mean to indicate nobody uses them, I just noticed nobody on here realy working with them ort at least posting about them. I agree, Mine is not too bad if only comparing it to my Opty 1214 on AM2 for the same 3GHz. It actuallys feels just as cool as the server unit on same style cooler. The Opty 1214 has the 9500 NT lapped.

I kind of like to keep the CPU/RAM but the mobo may be holding me back. It has a set of 7900GT's but not big on upgrading that. a single 8800GT is fine for now. What was the last, best overclocking nVidia chipset for the AMD 939 x2 cores? I'd like to go back to DFI for this if I keep it for another year. Otherwise, it's a nice micro ATX canidate since it runs so cool for a mild OC, so again, would like a nice Micro ATX. I still have the list you folks reffered last time. I ended up going with the ASUS A8N-VM for a family member with my old 929 single 3800+ and she loves it. with an old Zalman 7700 cu it is cool & wuiet in a micro case with basic 6600GT on passive air (the origional was louder then the entire system).

What kind of performance and OC configuring are you getting with yours? or when you used it as your own?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately all I had was Corsair Value Select RAM with mine, and I never experimented with the Vcore, so I only got mine from 2.2 to 2.4, but I'm sure it could go well beyond that.

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I'm by no means bragging up Dell (especially their desktop pc's) but their laptops are fairly descent. when I bought my Dell Inspiron E1505, XP had been canceled as a choice for the OS (one week before I bought it) and all that I could get was vista.

within one day of recieving it I completely reformated it with XP. one nice thing about Dell is that all the XP drivers were easily accessable from their website and I now have them burned to a cd.

it has been a pretty good laptop although I have had to hardboot it a couple times to make it boot up.

I wouldn't recommend Acer to anybody. I've heard they make a descent 22" lcd monitor but I would stay away from their laptops and smaller lcd monitors. my 2 cents.

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I'm getting ready to put some focus back to my AM2 x2 6400+ BE. I may want to move it to a new nF 7x chipset and put the F1214 back on the old nF-590

I was impressed to see that the 590 for AMD can hit over 400MHz. It should , since my nF4 went over 300 easy in 1:1 (or whatever the AMD guys call matched RAM clock frequency to CPU bus frequency, ie; CPU FSB to 300 w/ RAM set to 200MHz [DDR400] setting, running @ 300MHz [DDR600]).
    What is looked at as too high for the enthusiast X2 overclockers on nVidia chipsets. I've only ever had ATI for x2 back w/ old 939 and they got HOT w/ only 1.6v on SLI and 1.5v on CPU.

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Notebook Driver Set
    In most cases, like with Dell or Toshiba, they offer a business version based on the exact same components configured with XP Pro x86 at best. So this is all so easy to just go get the downloads available for the given model based on a factory XP Pro x86 offering. All but BIOS will be cross compatable, only maybe except for GPU if offered, but this is known upfront and can go th vender for that. Ie; nVidia m GO series or ATI Mobility, or just plain old basic integrated Intel and is located along side the Intel chipset driver downloads.

I did this a few times and it works fine. Just remeber to get teh UAA Bus driver on your own as most will not give it to you. There is one each for x86 and x64, but the x86 for XP SP3 is a challange to get installed because the installer only sees that it is an older KB update and will not let you install it the normal way. You have to edit it somehow (I never bothered), just went back to XP mCE x86for the guy.

Hope I Can Help!

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I have a Dell C610 that I've had for a couple of years, and I wouldn't swap it for any of the new ones. It's a P-III 2.4gHz that I put a larger HDD in and maxed out the memory. Surprisingly quick especially with the addition of a "Special Edition" of XP-Pro SP-3. I see no reason to buy a new one!

My only complaint with the Inspiron's is they are not as rugged as the Dimension's. You have to be more carefull with them. I've never had to replace a broken hinge on a Dimension but I've had to replace a couple on the Inspiron's!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member