1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. cgram7

cgram7 Member

I was at 4:5 by default but after overclocking the processor my pc was unstable a friend suggested changing the memory setting from 4:5 to 1:1 which is where im at now it seemed to have improved stability thus far but i hate to make that sacrifice. any thoughts on the voltage increase?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Nothing much anyone can tell you since OCing is specific to individual compoentns -- try it out, go slowly .... its a trial and error game! :)

3. Rubiks

Rubiks Member

Hi, I'm new to the whole OCing thing. I just discovered it when i was searchin for a new cooling fan for my geforce 5200 which i have read that it can be overclocked to 300mhz. Is it worth overclocking my video card???

4. Praetor

The GFX5200 is a budget card and typically doesnt ship at clock speeds which generate dangerous levels of heat which is why they dont have fans. If you do however get a GPU fan, sure, go for the OC -- you might as well squeeze as much performance from that card as you possibly can :) Furthermore, unless this has changed since their inception, the memory on the GFX5200 is identical to that used on its bigger brothers and so you can defintily OC that -- and do so stabily. You may want to get ramsinks for the video if the new HSF doesnt come with it.

5. Rubiks

Rubiks Member

ok thanks, but my card did come with a fan bit it was not even worth nividia placing on the card because it barely blew any air. But i am going to get a new fan. And from reading previous articles on this website i have learned i sould probably just stay away from OCing my AMD athlon 2000+ Palomin.

6. Praetor

If you want to go for it but unless you are intending to push the GFX5200 harder than it was intended to go, there isnt really a need for a fan :)

You can if you want, just make sure you get some damn fine cooling on it. You should be able to get 1.70Ghz -1.8Ghz (up from the stock 1.67Ghz) but just make sure you get some cooling on that sucker. Them 0.18 micron chips will heatup pretty damn fast and you'll find that your motherboard will be shutting your computer down everytime you do something with the proc. I would reccomend at least a Volcano9+ or K7 Silentboost, equivalent or better. Visit the Offical Cooling for more ideas if you want to pursue this

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hmm! OC and cooling.

[​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  8. Praetor

Is that a two slot deal? I saw that thing and my first reaction was: "dinky plastic" hehe. Certainly, one couldnt effectively mount it onto a heat monger like the 5800 could we?

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It's an HIS EXCALIBUR ICEQ ATI 9800 PRO.

Takes up the AGP and 1 PCI slot for the fan to exaust. The card is a 2-3 pound almuminum brick with an ATI 9800 Pro bolted on top of it. It's the best video card cooling system yet, at least better than mine ever were. Even the memory chips have heat sinks. My core clock is at 432 and my memory is at 380.25 completely stable, and I'm ceratin I can still push it but I tend to be on the conservative side. It has a two speed fan that is almost inaudible. It's not quite and XT pro but it gets pretty close.

10. Praetor

Bummmer... i want a loud fan :'(

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Buy that case with the 15 plus 5.25 bays and dual redundant 350W power supplies, cram it full of noisy hard disks that you'll have to keep cooled with perhaps even more than the current 25 fans you're using and you'll get loud. LOL

12. rhohan

rhohan Guest

i just setup a dual amd athlon xp thorton system, running @2.4 ghz on an msi 6501 (k7d master-l). it has muskin blue series 2100. dual volcano 11 cooling fans.

the mod of the thortons weren't too hard. if anyone wants to know how.. pm me. it's kewl..
    i had stability issues with it when i was running a 350 watt ps. i moved up to 500 watt antec ps and i'm styling !! this thing out performs my hyperthreading p4 running at 3.0 ghz on every test..(except ghz intensive things like mp3 encoding..). having 2 physical procs is WAYYYYY better than hyperthreading.. any day :)
    i'm just looking forward to the dual athlon 64 boards and pci express :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2004
  13. Praetor

If (newTopic) {newThread} else {!ModHappy && (if (Math.random() <=0.50) {ban(user)})}

14. otester

otester Guest

Praetor were do you get your graphics cards from?

15. Praetor

From a local retailer I know .... actually considerin going into business selling computers and stuff... the prices for resale are really nice .... but let's get back on topic... this thread is for OCing not random hardware/mods discussion

16. WonderBra

WonderBra Guest

So I've noticed that this is mainly a 'post your OC'ing results' type of forum. I've never OC'd anything and I want to, any suggestions or tutorials?

What I'm running:
    CPU: AMD 3200+ Athlon XP Barton 400MHz FSB
    RAM: 512GB Corsair XMS Ultra DDR400 PC3200
    MOBO: Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Ultra Platinum
    GFX: LeadTek GeForce4 FX5900 Ultra 256MB
    HDs: Wester Digital 120GB SATA 8MB Buffer
    7200rpm x 2 @ RAID 0
    DVD: DVD+/-RW LiteOn LDS-451S

Thanks for any help that is provided :)
    -Bra

EDIT:
    I'm assuming this would work on my processor? I will have to check, as the site says for the correct processor(that the model number starts with “AXDA”) I will have to check that at a later time when I can shut my PC down :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2004
  17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Unless you are for some reason unhappy and I can't think of why (Praetor might), leave it alone.

18. Praetor

WonderBra
    What kind of cooling do you have on that baby? Depending on the cooling on that thing I'd reckon you can hit 2.4-ish Ghz with it :)

You have any spreaders on that ram too? :)

I have no idea lol, I would imagine so however

Not OCing for performance sake but just to learn or to have fun with your stuff :)

19. WonderBra

WonderBra Guest

I'm assuming you mean heat spreaders? Yes, it came with it installed on it.

[​IMG]

20. JSRife

JSRife Guest

I have an AMD 1800+ Processor running 1.53ghz...Something like that. How much over clocking could I do to it safely? up to 2000+ stats? more? less?