1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ppiper

ppiper Member

Go for the opty I have an X2 4400 the opty will clock as high most likey higher. Do a quick search and you will see the optys are the best. Its basically a locked FX. I have the same mb as you and I would upgrade to 2 gigs of ram forget 1 gig. I have filled all slots on my neo2 and it runs at ddr333 BUT 2 gigs (2 1gb) will run at ddr400. Im looking at the gskill or ocz eb OR mushkin 2 gigers for christmas.

2. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

They are the same chip, execpt opteron has more cache per clokc generally. Opterons will not clock as good if they have more cache, more heat. Athlon usually has less cache and is desinged to be clocked somehwat, the opterons are "professional" CPUs typically with more cache and therefore are not anticipated to be overclocked.

You can find an opteron with the sma eamt of cache as a 3800+ X2, but it'll probably has a lower clock rate, defeating the purpose.

Athlon is # in consuemr's hearts for a damn good reason.

3. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

4. ppiper

ppiper Member

Yes the oc game is a never ending learing experience it is like updated daily.

I would go with the opty if you get the X2 you will likely hit 2.7-2.8ish with good cooling.

5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Hello I have a eMachines T28923 my parents got me for $300 dollars on black friday. Some specs are 2.7 ghz cpu, 1gb ddr333 ram, 533 mhz fsb.
    It's running on a Intel Celeron D processor and I've read many a thread on how easy these are to overclock. When i go into bios the part i need is greyed out. SO is there a jumper on the Mo/Bo i should change or something i should download? Any help would be AWESOME!

6. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

AMD as a whole is a great overclocking comapany, their artictecture enables better overclockign everywhere. But each CPU has different levels it can reach in certain codnitions.

I never said they weren't great overclockers, I just brought out the basic, the absolte basic thing about overclocking AMD CPUs, that the Athlon is the best for it. And don't throw numbers around because I could clock any new AMD to double the numbers you just posted with liquid nitrogen, which I was just screwing around with today, not for comps though.

You put an AThlon X2 and an Opteron X2 in the same place and same time, Athon will yeild the greater performance when overclocking.

7. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

intel doesn't make a 2.7GHz dual core nor one a the 5**MHz bus, just 800MHz and it shoudln't be running DDR memory either

8. bakbukkem

bakbukkem Member

Allrighty then. Thanks for all your advice guys. If I understand correctly I will reach the highest overclock on an Athlon64 (X2), but can still reach decent oc-results on a modern Opteron cpu (165, 170).
    I will ponder some more, considering all of your suggestions, and hopefully make the right choice.

On another point: ANANDTECH says I need at least a 500+ watts PSU if I want a decent, stable overclocked system (memory and cpu oc). What are your thoughts/experiences on that issue?

9. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

If you plan to overclock, you need a very high quality PSU, and if you are hooking up alot of stuff then alot of Wattage output. Overclocking will draw more watts, but quality comes into play mroe there than anything, but if you are overclockign it's likely alot of system components go hand in hand with that. Like extra HDDs or SLI etc.

Yeah, a 500W+ quality PSU sounds about right, and never forget that you egt what you pay for, but pay what you have to at pricegrabber.com

10. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?s=f77aa286cbc46ee92b865420640a7c55&showtopic=60725&st=15

lol well with phase change cooling there is hardly any difference between the opteron and athlon 64, as the 939 opty's are essentialy the same cores.

the general thoughts in a few forums im a member off is that the opteron is the better chip, the build tolerances are higher due to servers having to be more reliable than chips aimed at the home / office market.

11. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

The entire CSIS dept at MN state is unanamis on the decision that the Operon is the high quality and more reliable chip when doing what it does, sitting in a server. But when overclocking the Opteron is just like the Athlon except with a gernerally lower clock per cache, which prevents it from being as good as the Athlon for overclocking.

You can listen to people on other forum sites, which have a high probability of them being 13-16 years old and in high school, your choice.

12. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

the venus core opterons are 100% identical to the san diego athlon 64's. not just clock for clock, but in every way shape and form.
    i have this on very good authority - I checked my facts =o)

altered as not to cause offence =o)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  13. bakbukkem

bakbukkem Member

Hmmz..opinions differ between you guys, nonetheless it seems to me, since both processors are the same in essence (i.e. aside from cache), they also can both be overclocked about equally well.

I'm considering putting an Opteron 165 / 170 on a DFI LP NF4 Ultra-D
    (I'm not going to SLI anyway), and then power up that combo with an Antec TrueControl 550 (where I live that is the cheapest high quality 500+W PSU).

The only thing I'm still not quite sure of is what memory to use on this mother. Crucial, Mushkin and GSkill were already mentioned, I wonder if the excellent Crucial Ballistix PC3200 will perform equally great on an NFORCE4 board as it seems to do on NFORCE3 boards. More suggestions on that part are stil welcome.

14. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Well go for the best memory you can afford, try to keep it inline with the overclock you want to get to, its the most common reason people dont reach the clocks that they expect.

Dont ever trust the output from one forum, as some people do, as most forums have someone with either the setup your going for, or a setup thats similar to waht you want to achieve.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/dfinf4ultralp/11.html

they acheived quite outstanding results with this board paired with 2x512 MB OCZ PC4200 RAM

quite tempted to get myself one of these beasties :eek:)

at the moment im happy with my msi since i totaly silenced it's nf4 ultra chipset , silence is golden when your doing audio work after all =o)>

15. bakbukkem

bakbukkem Member

My thoughts indeed! Silence is golden on ANY computer in my opinion.
    (unless it's a server FAR away from where I'm sitting!)
    Thanx 4 the link too ck5134.
    Btw could you shed some light on how you tamed the noise on your board plz? We're obviously talking northbridge cooling here, so I'm very interested in what you've done there.
    Did you call in the services of a CoolerMaster BlueIceII by any chance? Enlighten me please, for I too am in search of the ultimate beast of burden, one that bears it's loads in silence...

16. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

well at first i went with a zalman cooler which i cut a few fins off so it didnt get obstructed by my graphics card, and now i am back with the stock cooler using a zamlan fan mate 2 on it, im lucky that my pc case has a nice quiet 12cm fan on the intake and also my graphics card cooler even when running in silent mode keeps the air moving well around the case, although i have had an offer of a passive cooler that is used in medical equiptment of a freind, has the same type of lugs as the zalman on it apparently so i will have to wait and see on that one. ( could be a profit to be made out of this as i have seen a lot of people moaning about noisey nf 4 coolers)

mind you when i crank the clock up on my pc checking cpu's for freinds i have to have the northbridge cooler at its whiney origonal speeds.

also i have used some silencing foam on my case insides, which knocked my system into the sub 20db noise range which is quite acceptable when you have 2 behringer truth b2031p studio monitors monitoring the sound, especialy with the behringer a500 ultra linear referance amplifier =o) great set up for £200 better quality than youll get from any pc speakers lol - mind you im sure it cant be good for my ears after 5 hours working on a tune lol

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  17. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

lol, I don't care how much research you did, you researched idetical cores, how much cache is on that die, which will build heat=less increase in clock speed

18. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

lol preciseley you said it identicle cores, so therefore they are both equal in the overclocking stakes, so therefore if you go for a venice cored opteron you will get equal if not better overclocks due to the chip being selected for reliability.

take of your blinkers and do some research lmao

19. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

also san diego cores are 1 meg cache as are the venice opterons , as i said they are the same...

Enuff Said

20. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

I'm not even checkign your core specs, because ti doesn't matter, look at what the person who asked the question wants.

The person I was trying to help, is deciding between the Opteron 170 and the Athlon X2 3800+ because thos eare the two in the same price range he listed.

They both come at 2.0GHz. But the 3800+ has half the L2 cache, which will yield half of the heat build up in L2 cache and spreading across the die. Therefore the 3800+ will clock better, we don't have numbers on how much, but it's obvious, less L2=less heat, and they both start at 2.0GHz and are within $60 of each other.

Beside, did you even consider that the Opterons use the 1GHz HT bus for servers? A desktop user wants the 2GHz HT bus. That is why the AThlon has the 2GHz HT bus, because Athlon is for desktops.

I wasn't goign to bring it out before, because it is something that really shouldn't have been overlooked by you. But since you won't back down on something you're already wrong on, let's throw in the loss os bus capacity Opteron has for the desktop user.

What are you going to come up with now? damn...