1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    It's an old laptop, a P-!!! 2.4GHz. I don't think HD was even around! I don't use a laptop very much. It's pretty ideal as a DVD player, out camping, fishing or something like that.

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Cool, no prob. But I understand somebody on here (Iforget who) installed XP SP3 to a newer PC, and if using onboard moder common on board HD Audio, it will apply, (the unable to update error) so just wondering in case I try it again later. I dont realy use the mobile onboard audio but the X-fi PVI-E card uses the HD Codec of the notebook so it does need to be configued, then I can use my X-Fi card as so. I actually like the older Audigy 2-ZS PCMCIA card I have on my older notebook but no more PCMCIA slots so I cant even use it anymore. Sucks too, cause it had on-card DTS and THX support, the new X-Fi one doesn't, just THX, no real DTS hardware decoding.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I'm going to try it again in a couple of days on that Acer, since this is the only version I have that will install. I just have too much to do right now. I know the person it belongs to would have no interest in HD sound, as they'll never use more than the on board speakers anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem. We'll see!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

That's my point. I dont need the onboard either, but it is required to get "sound". The audio Codec is bussed on the system buss so it needs to have the Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) Bus Driver for High Definition Audio to activate the codec for Realtek audio devices. I got no sound otherwise.

Anywayz, let me know how it goes as I may need to do the same w/ SP3.

I don't suppose anybody here has or used the ASUS A8N-FLI Premium. I wanted to get some feedback on some issues I am experiencing. If they're isolated to mine and in need of RMA or known issues and still get an RMA. I believe I only have months left to do it if so.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    What's the problem. I have several friends in another Forum that have or have had that particular MB that I can discuss it with. Some have one video card and some have SLI!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A friend of mine had an A8N-SLI Premium.. Well, he still does... What are the issues?

7. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

My backup computer has that MB, what's up?

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

It has had a rough life over the past 2+ years. And it sat on shelf for almost 8months. So now I put it back together and it's not the same. BIOS is acting up, on profiles that were once solid as daily. It randomly fails to completely POST and can if I reset and just let go to XP, XP Pro x64 SP2.

In the 1st yr, I had the Marque type Corsair Xpert Series 2-2-2-5 and one killed over in S3 mode overnight. I RMA'd and by then had the extra PC4400 and used them as a 2x512 set and the then OCZ ModXstreme 600w shorted out on it again during S3 overnight. Not knowing, I woke it up only to see one last pop, and sparks.

I thought for sure my CPU or RAM was dead this time. And back when new and the X2 held the crown, the X2 4400+ (89w) w/ PC4400 wasn't a cheap loss to swallow. I RMA'd the PSU too (very great OCZ RMA program, gave me the GamerXtreme upgrade since my old Modextreme was being phased out, the tweakable unit with set screws in back with tweak lights to follow).

So by the end of 2006 it is bcak together and fine through the holidays and then I put it asside for a spell. I took it out in late '07 to mess with and noticed it was not the same. I haddent really had time to really test it but I wrote it off to my friends crashing it or downloading junk mail. Well, they did but that cleaned up and it is still acting up in BIOS, Once loaded to XP and only put to either S3 or S4, it is fine. But restart for service, and it may hang on times.

So just wondering what the newer BETA bIOS fixed or is it worth RMA'n this too.

Just curious!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've had a motherboard in a similar situation. After my cheap-ass Qtec PSU went up in smoke in October 05 the MSI motherboard that was in that PC seemed to survive the incident, but really, the PC never ran the same afterwards, occasionally it would inexplicably run slowly even on a fresh XP install, and occasionally wouldn't POST in much the same way you described. I attributed that to the motherboard having been "slightly damaged" by the PSU. I never tested a different motherboard because in less than a year's time I received my X2 4200+ system...

10. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Whoops, I forgot I RMA'd that board for a SLI Deluxe. One of the memory slots did not function at all.

Sorry!!!

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nuck NOT having that particular mobo I can't really empathize with you but having mobo issues before I'm with sammy on an RMA.... I think you did have some "minor" damage to your mobo and it's worth the RMA if you have a cpu to stick in there. :) If NOT then just RMA and send the "new" mobo to me, I gots a 939 chip to stick in there. hehehe. ;)

.....gm

12. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

That's the thing. I do have the CPU/RAM and i'ts sweet and I want to ues it. Of any of my 2.5yo rigs, it is one of few worthy of using for today and keeping for the family. It's at least dual core on 64bit.

As for the Mobo, I do need to moake sure I have months left to RMA if so.

Given that, do you AMD boyz, think it's worth getting my old DFI back (if it cost upto $100.00) and sell this when replaced? I really did like my old DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D This is just months older, but actually had a newer BIOS when I sold it back in mid '06.

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nuck only you can answer that question. If you like the DFI then by all means get it "back". I'm not sure many of the fellas here have messed with a DFI mobo, I know that I haven't. From what I've read about them hopefully some day I get my chance. :D

Good luck with your decision....

....gm

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The nF4 Ultra D is an amazing board, I've seen what it can do in the flesh and I was very impressed. That said though, it has had a few issues in the past so make sure you get a good one! Saying all this though, I was equally impressed with the A8N-SLI premium when i first saw it. Fortunately I have personal experience of both boards since one of my friends had one until recently (he now has a LanParty UT RDX200) and one of my other friends still has his Premium even now.

Addendum: I live with the guy who had the Ultra-D and he's very up on his PC knowledge, so if you have any queries, I could probs have them answered... ;-)

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I have a question. I am buying a Q6600 on ebay and this guy says he lapped the heatspreader. Do you think this is good? Or did he just scratch it up, which shouldn't be good for thermal conductivity.

[​IMG]

16. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I too have had lil' issues with both. Oddly enough, more w/ the DFI (only cause it was very new to socket and chipset). It was pretty stable when sold w/ an X2 3800+. Only quirks w/ the Ultra-D was USB mouse and keyboard under OC'n was funicky, kinda like an Abit. Breaking in w/ Ps2 was fine, then bk to USB when stable and good to go. wasn't a big enough deal to bug me.

Just so it's clear, the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium was grreat before the blow out. I know folks say to keep HTT to or below 1000, but this mobo handled 1200HTT smoothly on a x4 HTT. Although between 1150 & 1190HTT it was finicky, yet if on the x3 HTT, again picky with RAM in DDR400 mode and even with HTT to 825 ~ 900MHz.

After tweaking w/ it again, I can keep CPU at old 3.0GHz easy (Prime 95 v25.5 for 3hrs) on the 2x HT link w/ RAM in 266 mode, = 300x10 w/ 600HTT bus. I wanna' test the RAM but my version of OCCT doesn't allow me to move the slider. Is this to new for it or just not compatable with the outfit?

I have only really use DFI for AMD rigs, but a m8 of mine is running a P35 based "Blood Iron" for C2D and I like it. 450FSB w/ C+P state support just like my Abit IP35 Pro.

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I would try to avoid it unless it's like dirt cheap for you.

First off, it's not a very good, nor complete lap. And 2nd, the Q6x00 was not the easiest to OC, so chances are it was put through some stress if they discovered the need to lap. Although I lap just for the extra headroom. But just to know, we usually do this w/ intent to crank it up, so it may have some milage on it by now. If it was anywhere close to $1.5+, I'd just wait for a good deal on 45nm version.

Not to say it's bad, just make sure you have some sort of insurance or DOA waranty.

However, I'm noticing that on higher OC'n, they act different with chipset dividers and temp readings. It feels cooler, but most older BIOS do not tend to read them correctly. Again, that is what myself and a few are noticing on the X38 with E8400 & Q9650 on ou4r X38 ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA. Performance is comparable to the E685 and Q6700 with some extra headroom for either lower temp or few more MHz of clock on same volts and temp. NOTE: He has the Q9650 and it is still FSB limited. I feel the Q9450 I am waiting for shell get you the same if only looking at moderate FSB and clock.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Nuck money doesn't seem to be an issue for you, but I'm still in school. Best Buy wont even hire me yet, so money is kinda hard to come by.

So I can't even really get a Q9450 because it's gonna be like 320. The Q9300 has less cache than the Q6600 and doesn't seem like it's worth getting. I guess the only thing I can hope for is that when the new Quads come out the price for the Q6600 drops.

Anyway that auction is over, somebody else clicked buy it now. I guess I'll just wait till March 15 then.

19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

No prob, but then what are you looking for in your new build? Are you interested in overclocking for daily performance or for fun then back to mild OC? Do your apps or needs call for Quad?

It also depends on the mobo and chipset you plan to OC with. They are FSB limited with even cerrent chipsets.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    No, I don't think it's a very good lapping job!

I use Jewelers Rouge, and a Jewlers polishing cloth! White first for the regular scratches and finish it off with the Red, to almost a mirror finish. If I could use the Ragwheel, I could do it in a minute. I'de be afraid of a static spark though! I use the Ragwheel for my coolers and you can see your reflection in it when it's done, about like that NB cooler, Enzotec! Makes for a very smooth and even coating of AS-5 or Ceramique!

I let it get up to 80-81F in here (29C) and checked my temps. Works especially well with the Ceramique!

[​IMG]

It's not uncomfortable in here but it's not real comfortable either. I don't even have the ceiling fan on! Anyway, that's what lapping does for your temps. The temps would be higher with no lapping at all. As much as about 7C.

If you notice the Silenx fan, I have it on the SB heat sink. It hasn't died completely so I figured I would see if it did anything. The new Antek uses a molex plug so it's speed doesn't show.

Best Regards,
    Russ