1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't know why I want a Quad core, I just do. I don't really play games on my computer much but I bought an expensive, relativeley, video card.

I might start playing games on my computer again, I just have a lack of free time.

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

....the power...it calls...to those..who are worthy...harness the strength....

see this...if i had the money!!>..
    its amazing!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55w0es_PwhY

btw: its great for overclocking apparently, ive seen and read it everywhere, ppl are over clocking it 800mhz up without a single issue, and then even to and above 1ghz so i think thats pretty sweet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgW7Zc2L5iw&feature=related
    this guys seems to have jumped it to 4ghz from 2.4ghz?? but he isn't the only one, it seems many a ppl have brought it to 4ghz, i would never go that far!! (paranoid)
    http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Computer-Processors/Core-2-Quadro-Review/4/
    -tripplite

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2008
  3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

This depends on who is doing it. From I'm told on this tread, nobody wants to take the risk and steps needed to keep it stable or take it close to 4GHz. I did it cause of the challange, but it is a monster on heat there, especiall for mine on the 8x500. But even 450*9 is needing over 1.58v and everybody here keeps telling "ME" they wont touch it over 1.5v. So why ask if you're not gonna' do it. I dont tell you guys to go ahead and do it, but I'm not gonna sit here and hold out if a guy who cares, ask how.

So again, this is just what I said over 8months ago on my P5K Deluxe P35 and old P5WDG2-WS. I did and was willing to share how, but it kept getting discarded without any interest. Oh well.

So for those interested, I never meant to say it doesn't OC good, just not easy compared to a dual on a clock to clock or FSB, on the same mobo.

a mild OC of 450x8 is fair for most GO's 450x8 is reachable on most good mobos and clean sturdy powewr. This is where those 8 pin EATX really come in to play, It really makes a steady difference.

Additionally, compared to my m8's QX9650, he's only getting a 5~10MHz FSB more then my max on air. I can hit max of 510FSB on 7x and he can go for as much as 512FSB (neither tested for stability). He OC's clock on highest multi so again, FSB limited anyways but still about the same MHz plus a few. I think 4.15GHz or so. I really hope the Q9450/9550 does better or at least as good for less money.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  4. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Hello gentleman,

I found this article in regards to high FSB overclocking. It's pro and cons. Thought you might be interested.

High FSB overclocking

Enjoy!!!

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I'm not interested in a GREAT OC, but I WILL take a Q6600 to 3.6Ghz. No if and or buts, lol. I'm gonna do it.

6. tripplite

tripplite Guest

your insane....the max i'd ever push it would be 6-700mhz, i just dont wanna lose something that expensive

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't set a limit, I'd just see how far I could get with 1.4V on the Vcore. Probably nowhere near 3.6Ghz, but so be it. I have no quarrel with someone like Nuck going for the big numbers, he has dozens of PCs to fall back on lol, but for those where it's your main PC, going for broke on the overclock is a bit mad.

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

No prob, very do-able on a d38/X48 and a butter-zone for the Q6600) ecent mobo and on the 9x as 400x9 (400FSB is like stock for P35/x and in 3:4 for 1066. <1.4v is slim to not. But not too bad at 1.45v Still fair for a daily user Q6600. Get a good ThermalRight Cooler since most mobos have little to no independent (per core 1~4) PLL control for quad OC'n (DFI does offer one but I foget what model) and you are forced to add FSBT and vcore combined and the heat monster is let out of the box over 1.5v

It's totally cool to know what she can do and then come back down to the norm or reality as we call it. Lol!

Go Get Your Clock On!

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I was just half kidding. I'm not setting big goals right now, but I'll see how far I can take it on a Freezer 7 Pro.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

personally I think you're unlikely to reach 3.6Ghz on a Q6600 with a Freezer 7 without pushing uncomfortable temps. Your loads will probably be in the high 50s / low 60s unless you lap the hell out of the cooler.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol I don't even know HOW to lap a damn heat spreader.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Progressively finer sandpaper I believe... :)

13. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I saw someone had a Freezer 7 Pro and Q6600 at 3.8Ghz with load temps of only 60C. He lapped the HSF, not the IHS.

I'm gonna go ahead and lap both.

15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

EDIT: added info

Well, I use a granite plate, they are pricy, but one can get by with a small quality 1/8" glass mirror. keep the morror flat on a solid surfice and keep clean and smooth and use progressive grade as already stated. I usually start from 80, 120, 240, 320, 400, 680, 1000, 2000, then cotton hand polish. These grades are reaily available at most quality automotive supplys or paint shops along with painters rubbing compound.

Do note, if you use the rouge as noted above, you must propperly clean with a non residue cleaner (I use Barrymans Carb & choke or brake cleaner). These componds leave residue and will actually act as a blanket if not cleaned. The same goes for any polishes. It is also best to keep a slow and steady movement. I use a specially made jig to keep my CPU and or heat sink in place and in even circular motion. It is so important, if lapping CPU as well, to continue the job on exact same papers and surface to insure a close to perfect mate. With a jig, I am able to actually lap (with automotive valve lap grit and then jewlers ruge) CPU directly to the used sink base. If on table top, I use alcohol to keep lubricated and desolved copper from clumping up and actually acts as a rouge. Use of coffee filters make great lint free polishing tools too.

Boat owners; I used to use a marine brass compound to rub by hand and it did wonders, but since it is desighned to protect brss and metals, you must get rid of the protective residue.

Mirror shine like glass is not so important as just flat and mated surfaces. A foggy smooth is perfectly fine if you hand rub with AR5 to prep and again fog the surface. to shiny can limit the AS5 mergig with the copper. It is not like the industrial silver.

This area is so open to debate, so I just lend you my personal experiences sine the P4 Northwood days.

As for the temps, 50 is kinda low for even the 9500 cu at 3.6GHz. I can go through my notes, but it was limited to 3.8 and reached 66c easy w/ that. And now on the ThermalRight I can get 4.01 but again still i the 66c range loaded in prime for 6+ hrs. But it only idles around 36c (4 cores averaged). However, back to the 3.8GHz, i can keep it to 62c Primed 100% but 53c real app use to 80%.

Hope this helps!

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Thanks for all the tips. Will a glass table work? What is a ruge?

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Opps, forgot the "O" Rouges are compounds used for lapping and or polishing bright metals. They are slso used in metal plating restoration. For example, I use blue rouge to remove and restore the chrome stacks on my old Peterbuilt 350A Turbo. it can partially remove the burn colors by adding a blue hue to give the mirror look to it again.

I only mentioned them for the perfectionist, but most of us can get by without them, in fact I dont use them anymore. Adds more cleeaning steps. the painters rubbing componus=d is more then enough already and cheaper.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I tend to forget that while I have access to a Dental lathe with a polishing Ragwheel on it, most folks don't. Makes for a very speedy job with white and red Jewelers Rouge as it only takes a couple of minutes to polish a CPU Cooler. Just clean it thoroughly with Alcohol when you are done. I've never used sandpaper except for the CPU as I'm afraid of a static spark. I no longer do the CPU anyway, because I found out that the CPU manufacturer won't honor the warranty if you do!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. neptune

neptune Regular member

i bought the >>AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor and i can overclock it to 3.08(20%)
    with a Rosewill RCX-Z2-EX 92mm 2 Ball PWM CPU Cooler .. i wonder wnen i overclocked my 2.0 to 2.20 why the system would shut down? was it due to heat with the stock heatsink and fan. ihave been running the system now at 3.08 for over 24 hours and it still is stable with cpu temps at 21 to 25 celsius..
    also when i changed the cpu the bios still shows my old 2.0ghz and windows shows my 2.80 . how can i get the bios to see the new cpu
    what is the life span of a cpu and mobo when being overclocked ?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  20. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Alright here are my OC'ing woes. I ahve a Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo w/ Q6600 and mobo/vendor approved ram which are 1Gb Crucial EPP sticks. Heres my issue after posting before I was told to get the 1103 BIOS. It has been removed from Asus's website for some time and I was just able to locate it recently. I flashed it through the BIOS not from withing Windows. I am able to get it to 3.0 Ghz but it reboots when windows is loading. It will post and start to load windows then just reboot. Suggestions?

BIOS Settings

VCore=1.3325
    Mem.=2.2
    1.2 HT= 1.5
    North Br.=1.45
    SB=1.60
    CPU VTT=1.55

FSB=1336
    Mem=800
    LDT=3x

Spread Spectrum= All off