1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

neptune,
    It's mostly the motherboard! It has on board graphics! This severely limits your overclock even if you install a PCI-E video card because of certain certain chipset limitations that the necessity of the on board graphics creates. I had an AMD 4000+ on a Biostar TFource MB with the 6100 chipset and it did the same thing. Limited me to only 2.8, only a 400MHz OC. Anything above that would either not boot or crash!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

How did you like this mob and chipset for overclocking? I had the older origional 2nd nVidia for Intel (nF4-SLI) as the ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe. It was not the greatest overclocker, maybe why it quickly got upped to the E version. What did the "E" version and Premium add to overclockability?

I also had so long ago, no Core 2's, just Pressler D and 840 at that no 9x either. So for overclocking on the low 12 multi, I could hardly get to the same 4+ GHz I did on my next ASUS P5WDG2-WS Pro. Not to mention mine was picky with RAM linking/unlinking. But I did like the new Q-Fan 2 and fan start control it offered and first of 8 Phase PWR for me then and it was noticable for the Presslers and Prescotts.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I am not so sure on what has changed. I know this it is no longer the nForce 4 SLI chipset it is now using the 680i chipset. The board also is a basically a rebadged striker extreme.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Pea, did your board overclock better before the BIOS flash?

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Oh ya, the ROG Striker. My lil' brother got that one a year ago and was not happy with it for quad overclocking. I do realize it was very early in BIOS, so maybe it matured since. We both use a lot of ASUS, but I think this model needed some rework. But then a lot of friends I know who got the 680i EVGA had just as many if not a few more issues with stability. But in general, I can say none of the nVidia Intel editions OC'd as good or high as the Intel counterpart in my experiences. They offered cool RAM tweaks but usually not too much else.

So what kind of daily reliablility did you get from your nvidia for Intel OC?

So if you're OK with a mild OC and need SLI then they were a need afterall.

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

As for daily reliability the chipset is great sometimes I leave my PC running for days straight and don't have any problems. But nVidia has this thing you can but don't have to install/use
    called Network Access Manager. Which basically gives you a bunch of fancy internet/networking tools/abilities. In concept it is great but in reality it screwed everything up that had to do with download/network tasks. I will never use it again. And when I upgraded to the quad core w/ asus board I kept my videocards which are a pair of eVGA 7900 GS's so SLI was a must for me. And yeah I would be very happy with a 3.0-3.2 OC. I've read many a thread at OC sites about the 680i and intel quad core cpu's. And most of them say that it is the hardest overclock they've down in terms of finding the correct settings, and others have had no problems at all. So its really hit and miss.

7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

The problem I had with 680i is the unlinked CPU:RAM divider modes. There are so many black holes theat is was easier to fix it to known dividers or best 1:1 and get a good clock/FSB and then go back to tweak max RAM for given CPU/mobo FSB. But ya, it was tricky w/ quads, at least older Q6600/Q6700. THe Q9650 is still FSB limited to a degree but seams to be a lil' bit easier on the nVidia I think. Just a tad! Plus I think nVidia for Intel was ready for Penryn in terms of power handling. We are having quirks with them on X38 in area of volting temp readouts. I think it is just a BIOS thing and shell be fixed soon.

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Thanks I was thinking this, but wasn't sure whether to go ahead with it because of my recent,if limited, success with it unlinked.

9. NFSking

NFSking Regular member

Need some help OCing my processor, I did it before on my P4 2.4 but now I have dual core, my pc board is a P5N-E SLI and my CPU is a Dual core 6600@ 2.4GHz and my memory is PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2. Someone told me I need to get 800MHz memory or I might fry my memory. Need alil more help, need to get some more juice out of my CPU if I can. What do I need to get.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

Check with your mobo "specs", compatibility chart for RAM and pick one of these. I think all of these are worthy for your needs. :)

link to PC2 6400 (DDR2 800) RAM from the EGG of course....

....gm

11. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

From the link you gave me I have in my possesion 2 sets of these. I purchased them beause they were on my mobo's qualified memory modules list.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PeaInAPod,
    I have a lower CPU Multiplier so I need faster memory than the G.Skill I have! As soo as I can afford it! LOL!!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. NFSking

NFSking Regular member

Ok I know what memory I need, now how can I OC the CPU, I might get 2 or 4GB memory.

14. Inbntly

Inbntly Member

I recently bought parts to build a new PC from Neweeg, And I was told that a few Items I bought with it are fairly decent at overclocking. The CPU is a E2160 dual core 1.8GHz, I was told that I could probably get 2.5GHz out of it. Also that it was as simple as changing something in the bios.

I also I have a Sapphire 2600XT 256M video card I was wondering If I could OC at all.

Lastly I have 2 sticks of 2GB Corsair Ram I was told that can be OC'd. What all would I Need as far as info on the RAM to know if that would be possible.

I hope this makes some kind of sense this is my first build I've done by myself, and just want to see how far I can go with it. Thanks.

15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I think you'll find the chipset muck more limiting then the RAM. What make model RAM do you have now? Most average PC2-4200 - 5300 (DDR533/667) can easily OC to 800MHz with a 2.2v range.I seen budget RAM of 667 go 800 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2v. Few better 533 RMAS will do 800 as well, the 667 may even go 830 tops on 2.24v.

New RAM is only needed if going for better timings. I would also just stick to 2 sticks for whatever size you need, especially on the nVidia for overclocking.

Look into the Crucials the guys mentioned above. the can do 1066 easily if you need it. and tighten to 3-3-3-8 on 800 if you like tightness.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You can probably get your E2180 past 2.5Ghz.

As for your video card, just go to catalyst control center and use that to overclock.

17. NFSking

NFSking Regular member

All I see on the memory packaging is Kingston value RAM 2GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel

18. NFSking

NFSking Regular member

The video card will be upgraded to a 8800 GT 512MB. So im not to much into OCing the card I have now, they say it can push more power than the regular one because its v5 it has factory heatsinks on the memory.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NFSking,
    You won't get very far with that memory. Look to Corsair, Crucial, OCZ, and at least 800MHz memory!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Well, that's a reputable brand so you should be good to 800MHz till you get new RAM with better timings. Especially if they have RAM sinks to keep cooler at 2.2v, if not can easily be added for $7.00+ average for a set, Go for Enzotek copper if you have to add your own. They cool like the OCZ Platinums and Titaniums.