1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. NFSking

NFSking Regular member

OK thats cool, i will get coolers for them and do I OC it in the bios, is there a site to help with that, dont wanna fry my board, i did it on my last pc but this is my gaming baby, lol dont wanna fry it, lol

2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Yes, of corse, in BIOS, manual settings for CPU and RAM. Just keep limited to 2 slots at this vdimm of 2.2v, but look first to make sure to confirm how, if so, your mobo overvolts. some do. Should be fine for that chipset.

I found 4 slots of 2.24v + to stress an nVidia nF4 and 590i.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

PeaInAPod: Sounds like a rebadge of the old "nvidia firewall", the least successful bit of software ever invented IIRC.
    NFSKing: It's possible to overclock on that board, but I wouldn't really recommend it. Unless it's one of the first P5N-E boards ever made, it will probably prove unreliable, almost all the other P5N-E boards were, mine included. For a decent overclock you should probably look for a better board. You will indeed also need 800mhz memory. You won't fry the RAM if it's slow, but you won't get a very good OC.
    Inbntly: You can overclock that graphics card, but don't expect to get the same sort of gains you get from overclocking a CPU, GPUs just don't overclock that well!

4. JYP666

JYP666 Member

Hi everyone. i have an asus p2b rev v1.02. I am going to oc an intel celeron 266 to a good and safe speed. BUT the problem is that the original 3 pin fan connectors dont work. The PSU 4 pin fans do. It can't be the fan coz i tested them on my mates mobo and thay all work. I thnk it could be jumper settings or sumatt like that. Thanks in advance

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Check their status in the BIOS?

6. JYP666

JYP666 Member

which part of the bios will it be in? i hav neva seen the fan settings before and i have just flashed it so it will be default. i will have a look tho

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

JYP666,
    Here's a link for you on overclocking that particular MB. there are no CPU voltage adjustments, so the OC will be somewhat limited. Your CPU is a P-II Celeron. Unfortunately, you can't put a P-III Coppermine in that MB because the CPU voltage won't go low enough to not damage the chip, and it won't boot!
    http://www.overclockers.com/tips296/

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. JYP666

JYP666 Member

Already seen that topic. i am currently oc @ 400mhz, from 266. Its not as easy as it sounds on overclockers. thanks anyway ross

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

This mobo as well as the P2B-B and F, D, DL (duals) were able to run without any CPU fan for most low end CPU's with passive cooler so if anything the warning alarm can be disabled but it would still have 12v power so it may be something else. This it half jumper and CMOS jumperfree settings, check both.

This mobo on BIOS v1012 (confirm as filal for 2000) it was not the one for the P will accept most PIII Coppermine on slot 1 to 1GHz and overclocked well for its time to 1.04GHz. It does have dip and pin jumper for volt modding (to beyond 2.8v for PIII slot 1 and as low as 1.6v for S370 on s370 adapter (extra voltage mods are done on riser card) as well as CPU and RAM bus multi. This will do 133FSB no prob even to 150 in 1:1 w/DRAM 150MHz. Check your manual for correct jumper multi and dividers and you should be good to go. The manual is also archived with ASUS in PDF. I had an old PIII/933/512/133/1.7v Coppermine on one mself oC'd to 1.0? with Corsair PC150.

I know this may be a matter of opinion, But just to let the guy know, and not make him think he has to spen on more RAM if int's not in the budget. I have OC'd several nVidia for Intels and they do fine on down dividers with lesser RAM the CPU. THe OC of the CPU is not limited to DDR800. In fact you can OC just fine on DDR533. It is the nVidia chipset that becomes the limioting facxtor as you go higher, not the RAM.

Now if for benchmarking scores, then yes, 800 is gonna be better, but to just OC CPU with added performance and a balance of stability, DDR667 is more then fine.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  10. JYP666

JYP666 Member

The maximum OC for the celeron is 400Mhz. (or thats as high as the bios says)
    I have just today flashed my bioswith the latest from asus so i could use a slot 2 socket converter with a pIII @ 933/256/133/1.75v (Which i beleev is coppermine) But since the p2b v1.02 doesnt go as low as 1.75v and the slotket doesnt have a voltage jumper setting there is nothing i can do accept get a different slotket with jumper voltage if possible. i am giong to reset the bios via jumpers and then check it all THEN try the fans again. \\\i will post back soon

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Let me confirm! You have the slot 1 now, and want to use s370 on adapter?

The slot 1 is the higher vcores of upto 2.8v. You will actually need the lower volt mods (fixed in final BIOS) for the s370 adapters of as low as 1.6v. The ASUS S370 did have voltages jumpers and dividers on it as well as mobo to be ready for adapter. You can get after market adapters for each the Coppermine and the later PIII Tualatin on 512l2 but with reduced vcore to 1.6 or less. This adapter will take the PIII Tualatin to 1.4GHz on some newer rev P2 and most PIII mobos. The 440BX was an excellent overclocker for the time. I found it better the my newer P3V-4X on VIA Apolo and even maybe the Intel !815 on SDRAM for fun overclocking. I found the P3B-F to be the last of the better slot1 OC'rs. Drop in cards for PCI RAID or Ultra DMA 133 or SATA were a must for the P2B to get improvements. I'm sure you gone there already.

By the way, 400 is good for that core, I only really remember 600 max for them on 440BX. But the BIOS is gonna only show brackets by what you selected on jumper pins. See manual for breakdown. on the variables. It's hard to get teh 933 to 1g cause of dividers, but 733 is easily good to 933.

12. JYP666

JYP666 Member

I would like to use my adapter yes. It is not an asus tho. I dont think its branded, the only thing i can see wich maybe a brand is PCB2 on the back. You said about the voltage settings in the bios, Please tell me more, I wud love to get my P3 working. The setup is simple:
    Asus P2B Rev v1.02, With bois v1014 beta 003
    448mb sdram (256mb,128mb,64mb)
    nVidia Geforce 2 GTS 32mb AGP,
    Sound Card,
    20GB Seagate Hdd,
    40GB Maxtor Diamondmax (BAD SECTORS)
    phillips 5200 series cd-rw.
    installing XP PRO tommorow Maybe

All inside a nice big MESH tower. This is basicly a throw together from my old parts that work. Since i heard about the OC ability on overclocker's, i wanted to play around. Shame its intel tho. AMD is A LOT better for OCing. I am not a noob at this sorta thing, so feel free to talk about bios and that. I cannot afford expensive things coz i am only a teen with no job. But have friends and family who dont mind buying things for me sometimes.

EDIT: been doing some research, its a generic slocket v1.00 WITHOUT vcore adjustment. (if any mods are known lease post a link) I might have to get another one but with a vcore jumper setting. But the main thing i want is the fans working agian. Cant find any bios or jumper settings. Cheked the voltage support and the fan is ok for that. too nucknfuts: I saw your pictures on your afterdawn space. That ram and heatsink is excellent!!! Cant wait untill i get my other board working. (needs some ram) Its not that good, but good enough!! Asus P2B good for now tho

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

No prob, there's lots of options for a rig of that time.

Some basics on your mobo; it is not fast on IDE at all by todays standards. But PCI to IDE cards are cheap and east to find, Maxtor used to give them away with new PATA HDD's in early 2003 for this very reason, to let you see the real performance gain over Ultra DMA1 on 33/66 bus EIDE to UDMA5/6 on PATA133. AGP is limited to the old 3v 2x on this, I DONT THINK NEWER 2.6V AND LESS WOULD WORK EVEN IF 2X COMPATABLE LIKE THE p3b ON 2x WITH 2.6V bUT YOU CAN GET A 64MB mx4000 FOR THAT SLOT AND WOULD FEEL GOOD FOR THE TIME ON 2X AND NOT TOO HARD TO FIND.

tR4Y TO REAEARCH THE S370 CARD SOME MORE CAUSE THE MANUAL FOR ASUS S-370m WILL, OR MAY NOT BE THE SAME FOR JUMPERS (oops sorry bout the caps). This mobo will install XP SP2 with easy but slow on PATA66. 40GB is about max on final, maybe more to 80GB on beta. If it freezes on Det-HDD over 40Gb, justr clear CMOS and load OS to 20GB.

have you at least got it to POST w/ the s370 PIII? If not, set mobo jumpers (blue by SDRAM and others down by power pin strip at bottom) for a basic FSB 100 on 5x 7 and multi for a 500~700MHz. with SDRAM100. Look closely on front or back of s370 card for a pin chart or maybe right next to jumper block. note where they are now as a refference, it may be good to go as a default.

EDIT: I hear ya on the AMD. Back then, yes, AMD my old Thunderbird on socket a was sweet on same 800MHz to my Copermine 833 OC'd on an Abit K series back when they could OC an AMD pretty far.

Keep us posted.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  14. JYP666

JYP666 Member

Well, i have never got to POST screen on that p3. i will have to get another slocket, which one's can you reccomend heard sum good stuff sbout the asus slockets. i just cannot find any of that kind. i suppose i could just buy a socket 7 board coz i got lots of processor's (ALL AMD!!!). K-7 mostly. Also have an amd duron soket 462 @900mhz.

15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

If only on the Coppermine (not the Tualatin) the rev 1.x of ASUS S370 will be fine. But aftemarket models for beter FSB, volts and even Tualatin and Cyrix and Celeron CPU were available, or still are for around $4.00 online or in local PC surplus stores. I used to install with dual Tualatins w/ a generic local part in Silocon Valley cald Super Clocket III picked up at Surplus Computers in Sunnyvale, CA. @ 408-327-0111 on 95 S Almaden Ave, San Jose, CA. They do online so look them up. This model can work for OC'n but the volt oC is done in CMOS nowcause th card is using auto of 1.6-1.8v. The ASUS s370 an be OC'd on card to 2.6v. eBay is a good sorce for these for cheap.

However, if you have a lil' extra, you may see more OC potential and moderness in the Duron on a newr used Abit of DFI mobo. Again, ebay or local PC surplus. A good mobo for those CPU's can be had for as lil' as $15 - $30. But the cost of new DDR and AGP4x comes in. But even that is old enough where you may find friends to donate for project build.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

17. JYP666

JYP666 Member

Hi. Looking at mobos on ebay. Looking for slocket wiv vcore adjuster aswell.

EDIT: Thanks for that link Russ, But i need a site that ships to the UK (england). That was very cheap tho!! I would have got it now but They dont ship to england

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

JYP666,
    PM me! Maybe we can work something out! re:sammorris/reference

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I've already made one contribution...