1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. JYP666

JYP666 Member

Thanks for the links sammorris! i put the second one on my granmas ebay

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

JYP666,
    There's no picture on the second link, but the first one is NG! It's the exact same one I have in my hand right now, and it doesn't do the voltage! Just though you would like to know. You might ask the seller to clarify that point!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Thi the exatc product I just specified earlier from San Jose's Computer Surplus. It of corse does violtages for default vcore for the s370 installed. If you need more, you do so in CMOS with whatever over/under adjustments you have. And being an ASUS, you get plenty.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

KnuckNFuts,
    Are you saying that the voltage adjustment doesn't matter? Because the picture on e-bay is an original slocket, not a Slocket III. They won't run anything over 1.06GHz Only the Slocket III had the jumpers for the voltage. Here's one for $3 with all the adjustments needed!
    http://www.pcspecial.com/pcspecial/...2&partner_id=1&s_id=&p_type=&item_id=99001380

The one on e-bay may say Slocket III on the package, but it's just a slocket in the picture! There's more hardware on the Slocket IIIs as you can see from my link!
    Best Regards,
    Russ

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Super Slocket III 370 CPU card adaptor That is the 1 on eBay I was reffering to and it is a newer s370 adapter "Supper Slotket" is just a name/type ASUS S-370 is the origional for the P2B and on, with only differences being the Tualatin and Cyrix support.

the s370 for Tualatin and Coppermine can go to about 1.45GHz but limited th the mobo and BIOS. On the P2B, the limit of either card will just be to 1.032GHz, and for the P3B about 1.050GHz. If anything else, a Coppermine PIII 933/256/13/1.7v will run at auto on the 7.x133 for 933MHz on the P2B w/ RAM to 133. So use either SDRAM PC-133 or good overclocking PC-100.

The only other differences for back then was the ASUS S30 L for low profile case wher PSU sat on top of CPU area as in Dell or Gateways or just compact ATX cases. They also has black plastic surround retention frame and clips that made them fit into ASUS retention mech as origional. The new Aafter "Super Slotket III" just opos in without any rentention clips but it does include a pair of tabs for mobos that will use them.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    With all due respect! I just spent the last 15-20 minutes using photoshop to get a better look at what's in that package on e-bay and compare it to what I have right now. I am 100% certain the picture (not necessarily what you get) is an original Slocket! It is absolutely identical to the one in my hand looking at the image on the screen. It's exactly the same! Same 5 jumpers PC Board, components, markings and all circuitry! 100% identical right down to the white half moon on the top right, just below and to the left of the hole!. What's in that package is exactly what I have in my hand! There are no voltage adjustments jumpers on it! I took a scan of it here!

[​IMG]

To me there's no question, they're the same!

The one I linked has more circuitry on it, as has every slocket that has voltage adjustments on it, I have ever seen!

Sincerely,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

@ theonejrs, That is the same as the one on ebay so yes it is what you get cause the box is exactlyy the box I got mine in at Computer Surplus 5yrs ago. It is exactly the model I have so if you look at your manual, you'll see settings for 133FSB, Coppermine, Celeron, and Cryix for both dual and single. So this is the new versionas older and origional ASUS S370 did not support dual Celeron or Coppermins.

Does your card show diragram for full auto of a single Intel as Jp1-5 as 1-2? Mine does. I have the one in your pic as the box and item # SNT240255943 as labeled on back.

I used these as recent as 2001 with dual Coppermines on ASUS P3B-D.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    Mine has SNT240161662 on the label. Now do you see what I mean about it being the same thing that's in that package? Mine is a little older than the one you have. It was an original Slocket I bought about4-5 years ago. I set jp3 for the Single or dual, jp5 to select Intel or Cyrix. Speeds, including auto are jp1 and jp4. It also says CPU CARD VER. 1.0.

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Yes, that's what I was saying, it is the same as we have so yes it is whate you get in the picture, the new aftermarket for Coppermine and Celeron dual or single.

So I still dont understand what Brand or model you refer to as the origional. Do you mean the model before these named Super Slocket-III? To my knowledge during the introduction of PIII s370, ASUS's own S-370 and S-370 L are the frist to offer slot conversion. I had them on arrival but they did not support Tualatin on 512 l2 cache even though they can hit 1.8v

So what did yours not support for you back then? I have one in back store room with Coppermine PIII 933 (s370) on it on ASUS P3B-F.

The one you mentio with extra jumpers may have an onboard voltage regulater that bypasses the VRM so it may support more CPU's like Celerons to 1,65v

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    It won't support the 1.4GHz. The two slockets I have in the Dell 420 Workstation now, will! They are like the one I linked to and have more jumper settngs with yellow jumpers! They look just like this!

[​IMG]

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

It will and it wont, sort of, but itis a mod, an overclock for an old 440BX. Itwouldnt matter if the card could step down to the Tualains 1.65 vcore, but more an issue with the slot 1 mobos using a stock GTL bus voltage of 1.6 on the bus as opposed to newr Intel !815 with reduced 1.5 GTL. It is a overclock. So it will never be stated as suported by even ASUS becaus it can overvolt a celeron more then need be even on 1,65v My last Tuauatin 1.4 on 512 l2 was 1.5vcovre. vcore and 1.6v GTL-REf. And we had limited GTL and VID modding back then. If you had to use a Tualatin or Cereron, you can vmod the mobo via pin jumping on an older 1.02 rev P2B. It's been way too long but I had to do it before and I know you can probably find an archived tread on it by now.

@ JYP666, What is the CPU you have to use now on your rev 1.02? I do know it is hard to get the VID down to 1.65 for a Celeron. However, since this is an overclock, if you get a 733 Celeron or Coppermine and leave it as 1.8v just keep it cool and you'll be good to go. Those big old ThermalTake copper pinned units with a 40x15mm fan is best for them, and I actually still see them on Frys store shelf since they are fully compatable with AMD socket A. Your only limit is the clearence between RAM slot 1 and slotket adapter. The odl Golden Orbs looked cool but very loud and not as cool as the copper even by ThermalTake. Zalmans origional Flower with add on fan via bracket was very nice but needed some modding to clear RAM slot 1.

Edit: But just cuase you can get the Tualtin 1.13 and above to run, the P2B for sure wont run it to stock, not even the P3B-F can do it. You can at best get eh multi just fight for 1.02 or 933 with good RAM timings and great L2 performance.

12. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

@ theonejrs,
    I used the rev 3 from PowerLeap PL-iP3/T to run my PIII Tualatin 1.4 to 1.6 on my P3V-4X. It did run on my older P3B-F if set to FSB 100 dip on mobo. then OC up to 150FSB easily for 1.6GHz. I used. The card has it's own VRM onboard so it can keep clean volts down to 1.45v

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    That's what all the electronics on the left side are for! Just below the yellow jumpers are the VRMs. Mine will go all the way down to 1.3v. I can't OC the Dell 420 but I do know a 1.4 will run at 1.4, at least that's what it reports! I only have one! I need one more that will match! It's actually faster than my Dell 3000 was with the 2.8 P4 in it! I'm going to increase the memory to 2GB as well! Should be good for a few more years! LOL!! I'll never get rid of it as it's not worth anything. I'll just use it till it dies! The way this thing is made it could outlast me! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. JYP666

JYP666 Member

READ THIS PLEASE!!
    Ok. Soo. For those of you who dont quite understand or think they understand (no disrespect). I started posting here coz i couldnt get my P3 (933/256/133/v1.75) with slotket working on my asus P2B revision v1.02. They told me i needed a slotket with Vcore adjusters. So i OC'd an old slot 1 celeron 266mhz to 400mhz instead(which is as high as it will go according to my POST screen). My problem after that was i could not get the fans working that plug-in to the 3-pin sockets on the mobo. I tried bios settings and they still did not work. And So, I need another slocket WITH a Vcore voltage adjuster that will work with a coppermine P3 (That is NOT OC'd!!). Lets concentrate on the fans now as i have found many slockets that will work.
    Does that make it clear??

15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Yes, that CPU will work fine as fixed auto vcore on even the oldest, origional slot 1 adapter S-370/L by ASUS or any copy of them. The later was just for Tualatin cerleron support. As for the mobo, I cnat say for sure, but can help you get it set up. It was each a BIOS and board rev issue. I can say rev 1.12 did but never had the chance to test on earlier rev. I may have my older kit in garrage so I can check for you with that exact CPU and origional ASUS S-370-L. I'm coming home early to in (CA US PST) so let me get back to you in few in regards to the fan issue.

But for now, (hoping you have your manual) set jumpers on mobo to 100 and slotket to 133FSB and 7x multi. t
    his should get you booted if the mobo can use it. Record the beeps if any when trying so. I'll check back.

16. JYP666

JYP666 Member

My slotket has NO jumpers for fsb or vcore. But i will try the fsb on the board.

EDIT: The settings didnt work for 100FSB 7x. Tried on a few others but still no luck. I now know 100% i need a different slocket

17. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

Wow! Loving this classic overclocking - Makes me wish I still had my Celeron A! Good luck with it.
    I keep thinking about tweaking up the old Athlon XP 2400+ in my front room... I could get some cheap DDR400, it's a KT400 chipset there should be plenty of headroom…. No, NO Mike No. It's a downloading and media machine - it doesn't need to go fast and you can't afford the electricity! -Aww!

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I can't say on the smart card, but it sounds like a newer, recent generic. If you cant find any kind of name or such to link. The basics will not need any voltage jumpers. You anr at least looking for FSB, multi, and maybe on few, single/dual selection.

I would look for the origional ASUS S370 S/D/DL. Several on eBay but as much as $20.00 USD "Buy It Now" or $10.00 auction. I looked today and there's a goood selection of each. But for price, get any of the newer models carring the D, or DL to indicate it is Dual socket mobo ready and the L to indicate it is Celeron/Tualatin ready. (Not that you need now, but in case you get one later or want to sell in the end) They all have onboard VRM.

I favor and used (still use for testing) the PowerLeap PL-IP3/T PL-IP3T but they are still being used by Tualatin (duals) overclockers today and thus the price is greater and they were hard to find. If you find one, would be $40.00-$80.00 on. not needed for your project unless it was given to you.

The other uBay option you showed is perfectly fine for that CPU. I can try it on the P2B to confirm mobo compatability.

AfterDawn was down when I needed to log in last eve. but I'll try again tonight.

EDIT: I have no more older rev 1.0x, only 1.10/1.12. I will test 1.10 with ASUS S370-DL on single Coppermine 933/256/133/1.7 When I get a moment, thus I can look into the CMOS for fan issue. It's been 5yrs since I booted one of these.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

O.K. I tested and it does work with my rev 1.10/1.12 on final BIOS v1012. This is also the same BIOS for the rev 1.02 but with possable limiting factors. Although not specified by ASUS. The S370-DL is the most compatable for your mobo if you have the early model with limited VRM chip. There is no jumper for VID so it is read directly from CPU and or Smart Card with onboard VRM. Look to see what Voltage Regulator chip you have. Here's how and where. Near the Slot1 connector there is a chip with around 30 pins or so. Some of these chips can provide 1.3V-3.5V, while others can only provide 1.8V-3.5V.

Chips that can go down to 1.3v;
    HIP6019BCB
    HIP6020ACB
    HIP6004CB
    HIP6004BCB
    US3007CW
    ----------
    Chips that can only provide voltages down to 1.8V:
    HIP6019CB
    HIP6004ACB

These are just a few that have been tested in the past 5+ yrs but there can be more. Just to note, the dual versions can have one of each, old and new since they must have two. Weird!

Now since we know the card is more then likely good, we just need to check again some settings. jumper multi can stay as for your Celeron since the Smart Card takes over and Coppermines are locked. You must only set FSB jumper. Some early P2B's were not tested as rock solid on the forced 133/33.3 (for the older 3 jumper bolck, some will take PCI to 44) even though is shows as selectable (in particular the ics9150-08 clock chip won't work at 133Mhz). That's why I suggest to try 100.2/33.3. Also, just in case to remind,
    I would clear CMOS for 10+ secs. and even leave battery out for a whole minute jsut to get a fresh set. Start it for the first time with your CPU on Smart Card (Slotket) installed and see where it goes. This after knoing that you have the correct VR chip to auto lower VID to 1.7v. Even if you have the older to lower only to 1.8, this will work but then you for sure need the D or DL or sloket, socket T with onboard VRM and you must now always fset to 1.7. Some will boot with 1.8v and that is fine for the PIII/933 of 1.7v.
    Also, look more closely at the 370 Smart card for hints as to if it is indeed a Intel and not AMD or didecated cyix. S370 (socket t PIII Tualatin s370 not just PIII 370 socketed) is perfectly fine. Look for jumpers to see if they indicate FSB, CPU brand/type or such. It must have at least those to work with The Coppermine CPU 370 on your P2B rev 1.02 even if for at least 1.8v.

As for the CPU_FAN, cant tell you ecept that it may just be bad. just use the PWR on the other side of the CPU slot_1 block near keyboard wake jumper. Use a spkr so we can note the beep codes and look them up to confirm.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Wow, it's rather quiet these past weeks. You folks mus be busy with some exciting projsects. Hope all had a "Happy Easter". Oh ya, who found the Q9450 in the blue egg? I looked all over for it. Lol!

"Clockin' Around The Clock"