1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Alright got a few issues. I've finally found time to fool around in BIOS and try OC'ing my CPU. Now I got my Asus P5N32-E SLI 680i mobo with Q6600 up to 3.0 which is what I want it at. I have to have CPU VTT @ 1.2v to have the PC boot and I the system passes a 24 run of Prime95 in stress test mode with the core voltage @ 1.2975, temps at idle run from 39-45 celsius. Now every once in a while while encoding video, playing a game, anything CPU intensive the PC will freeze and emit a high pitched, continuos whine out through the speakers. I have tried raising voltage but the issues still occur. What do you guys thinks the problem?

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PeaInAPod,
    It's been my finding over the years that freezes are more often memory related, and occasionally even video card/memory related. CPU failure usually just re-boots the machine or gives a black screen. You might try just 1 stick of memory and see what that does. I sometimes get that when I try to go over 900MHz with my G.Skill 800MHz memory. it just stops and looks like a painting on the screen. Sometimes you have to power down completely as the reset button has no effect!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. tripplite

tripplite Guest

it sounds like the voltage is fluctuating.....u run prime95?

my 2 cents
    -tripplite

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@theonejrs

That makes sense. I have been having issues on and off lately were I get a error that says somethign like " request @ 0000000F0A9 Could not be Read" says its memory related but it happened so infrequently I didn't think anything of it. I have my memory running at the stock 800 mhz with the voltage manually set to 2.2 because the Motherboard was undervolting it for sometime. Thanks theonejrs I'm leaving for my spring vacation tomorrow but I will be sure to check the memory issues out once I get back.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PeaInAPod,
    You're Welcome! It was a trip trying to understand why my Reset Button wouldn't reset the computer! I had never seen that one before. No Blue screen, just whatever was on the screen when it locked up solid. I had to turn off the power supply to turn it off! No holding the Power Button for maybe 10 seconds and it shuts down, I mean cutting the power! I've also had one where the thing was on fire, shooting sparks out the back of the PS, which lit up the drapes just as I walked in the room. There sat the monitor with a picture still on the screen! I don't think I'll ever forget that picture in my mind's eye! I turned the UPS off! Oh, I put out the fire too! I pulled down the drapes, rods and all and threw them bathroom shower! Cheap name brand PS! Cheap PSUs can, and do KILL people!

Best Regards and You're Welcome,
    Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The only issue I ever have with sound on a CPU lockup is it repeating the same section over and over, which is to be expected. Whilst I wouldn't totally rule this out, I like Russ am thinking it's possibly something to do with memory - that can cause all kinds of weird crap to happen - including, amazingly, reversing which screen does what on a dual monitor system, mid-game!

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well I just about to leave but to leave so I will get back to all you guys on the memory issue when I get back. And I had the same PSU issue with my first PC a beige off the shelf PC. SO when I built mine it was nothing but the best, got a 750 Silence Series PC Power and Cooling. ttyl

8. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  9. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LOCOENG,
    I'm a bit disappointed in the lack af a Freezer 7 Pro on Anandtech's Cooler list, as it's every bit as good at cooling the CPU as a Zalman CNPS9500, for less money, yet the Zalman is on the list and the Arctic FP-7 isn't! I know it's as good, as I've tested both on 2 different Intel platforms with the only variable being the CPU Cooler, and the Freezer 7 Pro was marginally better! I guess not buying advertising space on Anandtech does matter! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

did you notice which one blows them all away by a fairly large margin, the TR Ultra 120 Extreme and I've got a brand new one still setting in the box just waiting to go to work. :)

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, about time! It's a superb heatsink. I'm amazed what it can pull off. As for Anandtech, I'm also disgusted. I think the F7P is a better heatsink than the CNPS9500, let alone the other Zalmans...

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    No offense, but I don't call a 4C difference between the Ultra 120 Extreme and the 9500, a fairly large margin! Besides, I'm not going to change from a case that I really like just to accommodate an Ultra 120 Extreme, as it won't fit in my case. I've also used the Freezer 7 Pro on a couple of notorious heaters, the 3.0/800 Prescot and the 3.2/800 Presler, that were both well overclocked, as well as my present rig and temps have never been an issue! Since I can usually get two F7-Pros for the cost of one TR Ultra 120 Extremes, I'll stick with the Arctic!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For me, being able to pull below 40s load temperatures with a quiet fan (around 1300rpm) versus being at about 50 with a loud one (2100rpm or so) is a huge benefit. A 4C difference is pants.

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

from anandtech

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    TRUE has S-flex
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and there we go. so much for the anandtech bashing

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russell,

who really cares about cooling at stock clock and at idle, although 4C is a nice improvement. lets talk about where it really counts, under load and at 3.83ghz. huge difference of 16C.

[​IMG]

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Guys, I think Russ meant a difference of 4C between the Freezer 7 pro and the Ultra 120. Although I think the difference should be more than that, I have never seen them compared side by side.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    I wasn't bashing Anandtech, but since the F7-Pro is a very good cooler, and it wasn't on that list, while the Zalman, which is comparable to the F7-Pro in performance was, and Zalman advertises on Anandtech while Arctic doesn't, so it just made me wonder.

The pics you posted show the Freezer 7 Pro to be an excellent cooler although I don't come close to agreeing with their noise level ratings, as they are ridiculously high. The loudest thing in my case right now is the 40x40x10mm Evercool fan on my Southbridge. I'll have to find something quieter but I'm limited to a 10mm thick fan as anything taller won't clear the Capacitors on my video card!

Mort81,
    When I had the "Space Heater" Prescot at that exact speed, the difference was only 5-6C, not 16C with the AF7-Pro. It would hit a maximum of 56C after a long run with OCCT! At 3.5GHz, the E6750 hits a max of 52C running Occt or Orthos. Another thing to be considered is the conditions under which those tests are done. Usually they are not done in a case, but done "Breadboard style" on the bench!

I agree that the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme is the better cooler overall, but it only seems to matter if you have heat issues to begin with. Case airflow is important too! I can use my AF7-Pro with the fan removed, and it does run warmer by about 5-6C, but nowhere close to overheating anything. I would imagine that I could do the same with the Ultra 120 Extreme, and get better results, I'm sure! The bottom line for me is I just don't have the need so why spend the extra money! I'm sure I would feel differently if I had temperature issues!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ - given that so many coolers have the same noise reading, that presumably is the ambient noise level, so that test shows the cooler is inaudible behind the rest of the PC, why is that an issue?

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

not sure why but my screenshot went away. I put it back again. I was comparing the 9500 to an ultra 120 extreme under load at 3.83ghz from the anandtech review. that's where I came up with 16C difference. you've never had an ultra 120 extreme (that I am aware of anyway) so I'm curious where you're getting the 5-6C and what you are comparing.

I'm not talking about overall temp issues but rather overclockability and ability to keep the cpu cool at high and extreme OC's. as you know, the cooler the cpu, the higher it will OC to a point. I think the discrepancy here is that our overall goals are different. you want cool, quiet and stable 24/7 rig and I want highest achievable stable OC on air.