1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I was going by the actual temps I was getting at 3.83 with both the 9500 and the F7-Pro in my own machine, not by their tests! I'm sure that real world use will be a lot different than their tests if your case airflow is good!

Yes, I agree that I goals are completely different, although I have beat up on both the 9500 and the F7-Pro with hotter running CPUs, with no problems. I'm sure you remember all the hub-bub about my low temps over at the Hounds when I had my E4300, and I ran those tests twice in a row, as I forgot to include one of the screens needed to confirm things! That was on the 965P MB. Unfortunately the P35 chipset runs a bit warmer. If I could cool it better my CPU temps would be lower as the NB is right next to the CPU, and transfers heat through the traces in the MB to the CPU socket! I fooled around with a can of FreezeIt and the CPU temp drops quite a bit when the NB is cooler! So far nothing works better than the stock heatsink with a good hi airflow 40mm fan on it. I've tried two different heatpipe coolers and numerous fan based coolers, and none of them cool as well, so far!

sammorris,
    It's not an issue, it's just far from a fair and accurate test. You rarely ever hear the F7-Pro in mine unless you are running something like Orthos, even then it doesn't run at maximum speed, and it ramps up so slowly, you don't really even notice it!

Here's my "right now" temps and fan speeds

[​IMG]

The computer has been on for over 5 hours and it's just a totally random pic I just took a few minutes ago! If I could get that NB temp lower, the CPU temp would go down!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Orthos instantly forces my CPU to 52C and my automatic fan (it's a rear case fan not a CPU fan, but same idea) to 70% speed. Neither rise any further, but as soon as you click start, the increase in fan noise may as well be a sound effect to tell you you've started the test, it's that quick! Of course it's still very quiet, but it just shows you the difference in efficiency between our CPUs if yours hardly changes, since I think you'll agree, the fan control for our boards is somewhat limiting, it's either on or it's off!

Quite agree, and it's the same for every other site i see except for SPCR. Nobody else seems to calibrate their equipment properly, or get decent gear. After all, measuring down to ambient levels of 17dB requires serious kit, the human ear is quite amazing!

I wouldn't worry about the Northbridge temp, mine runs at 42. I wonder what the X38-DS4 will run like given the extra stuff it has to do, but the bigger heatsink it's got, with its fancy heatpipe!

Do we know if Everest has been updated to support the HD3870 yet?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  3. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

my everest shows my 3870, shows the fan speed for it too on the gpu window

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

please note ive just stopped playing cod 4 after 5 hours, thus gpu temp, and yes the cores are reported wrong by about 20ºc b4t thats common on 5000 x2 be's

sorry about pic sizes

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

ZUNE FTW! lol

Russ, my core temps are only 3C higher than yours! This is on a PC that's been downloading stuff for 10 hours straight, but not much more.
    My Q6600 is running a but slower than your CPU though(3.4Ghz).

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I just came across this cooler and it looks promising as I think I have enough room for it. I'm not worried about the temps, but if I can cool the NB better, then my CPU temps would be lower to start with. I have to see if I can find one somewhere. The best thing about it is I can move the cooling part forward or behind the CPU cooler and still be in the main case airflow without any interference problems.

http://www.hardwarexl.com/reviews/cooling/forcetake_jts-0006_heatpipe_chipset_cooler_from_jingting/

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

If for the 3 Series Intels, it is a bit on the min, but maybe just a tad over stock. I say this in refference "Thermaltake's Extreme Spirit II" as I have tested that one along with several other NB/SB coolers. In refference to the "Tt", based on the simular size but yet has a "U" shaped pipe acting as 2 can barely keep up with a ThermalRight HR-05 w/o any fan on same given chipset and neds to be running in full mode almost all the time. I also found that these lil' 40mm fas are so blaring loud in 5000 RPM for my tatse, but most may be fine with that I guess.

On a price per performance scale, I would highly reccomend the ThermalRight HR-05/SLI (see also i-FX versions) w/ or w/o a fan to far out do most aftermarkets.

The only one I used recently to beat even that is the Noctua NC-U6 w/ 80mm high CFM fan. Wow, what a beauti though, 2x "U" shaped heatpipes for total of 4 like on a big tower. This is hard to integrate into most high end rigs incorperating ThermalRight 120's for CPU, since it doesnt quite clear the side, and to date is not offered in an SLI configuration.

But in the end, it will be fine for most and looks nice too. It would definately make an excellent SB cooler for SLI use even w/o the fan on any 3 series Intel just for the copper alone.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    You don't think for one moment that I would leave that garbage fan that comes with it on, do you? That's why I'll change it to one of these!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129036

Great little fan for the money. Quiet in spite of what the reviews say, and at only 2200 rpm, it should be! Have one on my NorthBridge and you don't hear it! Blessed Silence! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, I want that version of everest. All I get are Motherboard, CPU and my two hard drives. So much for "ultimate Edition".

Abuzar: I use the exact same theme, but with a black start button rather than orange, that's "Royale Noir", the Black mediacentre theme. I've nothing against the Zune though, primarily because my Mp3 player, the Toshiba Gigabeat, is its spiritual ancestor.

Theone: it wasn't me who said that, for once, although I can see why you'd assume I would!

9. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

i have never had problems with everest displaying my gpu temps ect ever since my old fx5200, god back in the barton core days lol, mind you it was freeware then.....

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

where can I download it from? There's no link on that page, only info about the program.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sam, get the new Zune. It rocks!

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest, there's no point. I don't use Mp3 players that much, and if I want portable video I'll just use a laptop instead. My Gigabeat gets used only a handful of times a year, it's hard enough to justify the £180 for that let alone a replacement.

13. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

... sorry bad post ;)

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thanks, but I'd be a bit wary about posting links to pirate software on aD, it's against the forum rules.

Got Everest installed, this version doesn't support my X800Pro AGP, which isn't exactly a rare card, so I fail to see why it would support an HD3870 either. I'll have to check when I get back to my proper PC, but it's not looking promising. I guess Lavalys withdrew their ATi GPU support for some reason.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I ordered one but it wouldn't fit in my MB with the Freezer 7 Pro. It physically contacted the cooler fins and if you did use a fan it had to blow all the heat into the CPU cooler. Without a fan at all, it makes the CPU run even hotter, as it's not much more than a radiator at that point. In the right MB layout, it more than likely works very well. It's just too close a fit in My DS3R, so it works poorly. I returned it!

I'm going to get one of those Forcetake JTS-0006 NB cooler and see what it does. It should help carry a lot of the heat away from the NB connections. I can mount it forward of the CPU cooler, and the fan can be mounted on either side. I'll replace the stock fan with an Antec 76005 40mm Case Fan. 6.5 cfm @2200 rpm. I have one on my NB and it works well and is very quiet!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

the link on the page i linked to is the official download from lavalys everything else is now removed, but it shows my gpu and everything.

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I had even the recent versions of Everest (4.20.1201) on my AM2 based nV590-SLI mobos come up with rearanged readouts. Almost liek the list got shifted 1 line from MB and CPU. Like core MB is actually core 1 whereas core 2 is actually MB temp. As far as I know the GPU cores are correct for 1 & 2 as well as RAID set HDD's

As for Everest not displaying all items, it does depend on the mobo and thermisters onboard. Example, my nForce4-SLI reports very little compared to nV590, or even my notebook w/ Intel C2D and nV8600-M.

UPDATE: OK for nForce4-SLI w/ x2 4400+ (89w)

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Theone: What about an HR-05? Same issue?
    NuckNFuts: That's true of most apps. For Everest and Speedfan, for every PC I've ever owned, Temp1 (CPU) is actually my chipset temperature and Temp2 (Chipset) is my CPU temperature - this is so for at least the MSI MS-6775, P5N-E SLI and GA-P35C-DS3R. I haven't tested it with the A8N boards.
    The weirdest thing about the graphics temps is that it detects the National LM temperature chip, it just doesn't give any values from it. It's not that they're wrong or blank, it's that they're not even listed at all.

19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

This does have to be worked into a system w/ wide cooler blocks. On my ThermalRight Ultra 120 eXtreme, I had to change orientation of CPU fans moving up towadr PSU but in normal use, it is fine if you have good SPU and 120mm inverted PSU fan as well as good airflow of 120mm out the back too. It now fits perfectly in front of CPU and output is not that hot as would think and certainly not enough to be noticed (on x38 and E6750).

I used to use a HR-05 and they fit perfectly next to the big Zolman CNPS9500. but make contact w/ 9700-NT on some mobos. The SLI versions takes care of that, but only if GPU back can clear it. I was also able to use the SLI version on my old !975x rig and Dominttors but possitioning HR-05 up in front of CPU and configuring CPU dan to single rear pull (same Ultra 120). This just barely cleared slot 1 if using all 4 RAM slots and large Dominators butu clears HR-07 (twin pipe) RAM coolers if moved to 3-4 slots (since I never populate all 4 for a high end water cooled OC). This is also still so for ASUS P35 and X38 mobos with same RAM coolers.

On a watercooled rig, you can configure the Noctua NC-U6 in either orientation with a dual FAN in push/pull configuration to help keep up with CPU on water only rigs.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's very tempting to kit the lot out with Thermalright gear merely because it'll all fit together.