1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Sam just so you know the version of Everest Ultimate I am using shows my 2600XTs temp.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, is this a real version? So far the versions I've been using have had fake serial keys.

3. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Its a version a mate gave me - key came in a text document. But its version 4.20.1170.0

4. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

are you on about what i posted earlier???? i have it as it was a newer version, works perfectly, reports everything right as it should.

also off subject, me and my mates are using this to campare overall system performance, its by no means a stress test, but it does give you a quick benchmark to see how your system is improving through o/cing http://www.passmark.com/ (PerformanceTest 6.1)

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    As long as it sits smack up to the F7-Pro, it won't do what I want it to do and that's mainly to get the NB heat away from the CPU and it's cooler. If you mount a fan, it has to be either blowing directly into the F7-Pro's cooling fins or sucking CPU heat through it. I looked at the HR-05 SLI and I though there was some adjustment there to extend the distance from the block to the cooler itself, but it's fixed.

The way they do it on the DFI is a great idea, but no one's picked up on that design that I've found, so far. The promise that the Forcetake JTS-0006 Heatpipe makes is that you can adjust the distance between the cooler and the base so the full cross section has the right orientation to maximize cooling. You wouldn't put a radiator in a car sideways, as it needs airflow of some sort across the large surface area to be effective. I think I'll try one! Either that or the Enzotec!

EDIT: I'm going with one of these. It should solve any heat problems with the NB!

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/encnfoconoco.html

Great price too, and is the only one I found that comes with the fan bracket. I've already got the Antec fan, so I should be good to go! LOL!! Extremely easy to install as well!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  6. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

7. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i just got a new p35-ds3l and an e2200 and i have a ram ratio question. why use a 1:1 fsb ram ratio? is there a performance difference when you use that ratio instead of something like 4:5? also what are same temperatures for my cpu? i am stress testing at the moment and it is at 60c.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Use dividers only when and if either CPU mobo or RAM cannot keep up with one another during overclocking. On Intel 3 series mobos, you can only updivide. This is usually cause current RAM is much faster then CPU's as far as FSB goes. Depending on mobo and chipset, it is more of a question of stability at a given OC. Dividers tax the chipset on an overclock (more volts equal more heat). Features such as "Stand By" (S3) can fail to remain stable or not work at all on high OC on a divider.

On a good mobo, 1:1 should be just fine with good RAM since provided your CPU can handle the FSB. Ie: 500FSB in 1:1 is needed to reach DDR1000, and that is more common now for the better part of todays CPU/RAM and just about all the decent mobos.

Just about all moden systems will run 400FSB for DDR800 stock spd in 1:1.

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, that's what comes on the Freezer 7 pro. Most people take that stuff off and apply AS5, but someone told me the Arctic stuff is better so I left it on.

Guess he was right!

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm going to try and track down a proper version of Everest that gives you GPU temps and all. GPU-Z works with this GPU, but no versions of Everest do.

As for the chipset cooler, the airflow from all the 40mm fans I know, whilst reasonable for their size, is so weak that the heat from the chipset will end up with the CPU anyway. With a decent CPU cooler that really isn't much of a problem anyway - the only route for heat to travel from my chipset to outside is via the CPU cooler, and the temperatures of both are quite manageable.

12. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No matter, I found a working serial number that got me access to the GPU features.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    All I've ever seen come on the Arctics is a silver/grey sort of thermal pad, which does work very well. The MX-2 is white and needs to have a thin coating applied to both the CPU and the cooler for best results. Apparently doing this eliminates any loss of contact with both surfaces, if you apply it to both! Someone suggested using a small high quality Acrylic pain brush to apply it. I think the fact that it's 100% non-conductive is a huge plus as well! I'll have to get some and test it! Maybe I'll get it for the Enzotec!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm due a new tube of silver soon, so I'm keen to see how well that works out...

16. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Gigabyte owners looking to add some stability and OC potential to their mob, loo at these. from Enzotech. Enzotech MOS-C1 Forged Copper Mosfet Heatsinks @
    They seam to fit as is and can cover 2 chips at once and may be cut sliced) down the center to fit a single in tight corners of PWR mosfets on most midrange Gigabyte mobos where NO cooling option is featured. This is and will be the limiting factor in most higher overclocks, especially on quads.

I used the bigger ones but fr sure I had to cut them down but worked great on my GA-P35C-DS3R, The SB did fine w/ passive cooling with Enzotech copper block, EnzoTech CNB-S1L but mine for some reason on each my P35 and X38 needed hole space modding to fit. Or one can just thermal cement it in 180 degree rotation. This doesn not get too hot even on +0.2v oC, and helps kep RAID more stable when OC'd.

Have Fun!

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Your URl is messed up. I checked them out though, and they seem pretty good.

Will they fit with a Freezer 7 pro on there? Will these actually help stability and help with vdroop or vdrop or whatever it's called. I might get some if they do.

Heatsink Link

18. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Hello again guys, I see your all talking cooling so i though i might give you this link and tell me what you think. Handy little gadget and it might help with those hot spots with inadequate cooling.

Antec Spot Fan

19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

NO, to my knowledge, the vdroop is just an issue controlled by CMOS and PLL IC chip. And not till the X38-DQ6 was this finally fixed. Maybe the P35-DQ6 too. It will help overall mobo temps and stability with high vcore draw on mobo during loaded OC use.

"Antec Spot Fan", I have one and they're cool for on the fly cooling of hot spots on your mobo such as RAM or chipset or even mosfets. It isn't the sturdiest of mounting (single screw, usually integrated into mobo mounting standoff) but can be tweaked to point where needed for the most part. Lights in blue LED. 3 speed and not too loud for its size in high.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    They're not just for GigaByte motherboards either! In fact many motherboards only partially cool their Mosfetts, just the ones behind the CPU. Even the much touted P5K-E/WiFi only covers half. You have to buy the Premium model for around $40 more, to get all the chips cooled! They're virtually for any motherboard that doesn't provide a cooling solution for these chips! As far as Vdroop, as you call it, mine's between 2 and 4 thousandths of a volt under maximum load!

Best Regards,
    Russ