1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

"Mosfet Cooling" & "vdroop"

I aimed this at Gigabyte owners here as many on here are using them, and it was asket about before. Yes of corse they can fit many others. I mentioned these for our Gigabytes as none to my knowledge are readily available to snap on out of the box. We are left to modding like this. So many guys make just about anything you can need or want for the top end ASUS models. As for the few ASUS like P5B, w/o 2nd mosfet sink, the holes are there to simply add as needed, of pre made size, same as 1st one.

As for those many mobo makers that dont cool mosfets, many will not gain anything from this since lot are not overclockable in the 1st place, I know we can name many.

As for the vdroop, the point is, weather we like it or not, it has one period, mine is as much as 0.06v at certain FSB levels. So we just have to overvolt to zero out to what we really need under loading. With the X38/X48 & P35 from ASUS and now some Gigabyte, offer a zero loadline feature to keep OS idle vcore to same as when loaded. As for ASUS, at certain vcore and FSB levels, it may actually give a vboost so you get to set idle vcore lesser then loading now. I like that better.

Sorry to confuse.

Just Clearing that Up!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

But will they fit with my Freezer 7 Pro on there?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Yes, they should! They will on my P35-DS3R!

Russ

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well Then, buy 'em and post pics so I can make sure lol.

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I dont have a Freezer 7 for Intel to measure, but as for the older Freezer 64 Pro, look fine as far as height. These are not tall enough to be a prob. The fit fine under the ThermalRights as well with over plenty or room to spare. The Swiftech MC14 BGA Memory Ramsinks w/Thermattach T411 Tape fit great under them. I just had to slice them in 4 ways to fit most parts of the Gigabyte cause of obstructions. Most Abit and ASUS, you can just pop them on side by side as needed. The bigger ones I used for my GPU RAM are 14mm x 14mm base and 14.5mm tall.

For modding concerns, these are solid copper and cut very smoothly with hack saw of fine tooth cut.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't have a saw though, so if I do get some it looks like it's gonna be the other ones.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Go get you a Coping Saw and some fine metal blades and cut them up. Very easy and very neat!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I was gonna suggest that too, But a hack saw blad is more sturdy and can be used w/o the handle if it's all you got and the fine 32 tooth per in blade can be had for $3. - $5.00. the cut is so smooth if kept st8 with vice, tou can simply sand smooth. But the smaller ones will do the job. I just like that the larger ones are taller for more cooling and cheaper if you cut in fours and have plenty left over for future projects.

You'll notice for the GA-P35CDS3R the spacing of mosfets is scattered around the core chokes. You will need some singles in some areas but can or may use some half slices of the 14mm models to snuggly fit inbetween Ferrite Core Chokes. If using Zalman 7700, 9500 or any with a like rentention bracket, you will be limited to height and need to cut there too since bracket is directly over top of the chokes. I did some cool cuts with some halved 14mm L by 7mm W and one rod nipped of to height of core choke and has worked fine around Zalman bracket. ThermalRight and some others will be able to use full height on a 14mmx7mm sink on the mosfets inbetween and single 7x7mm cuts on odd ball ones. Not a big deal, but I opted for Artic silver 2 part thermal cement for better performance, but that's totally up to you.

Hope This Helps!

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    Rather than cut anything up at all, I would just get the Enzotec ones and put one on each Mosfett with the thermal tape that comes with it. They come 10 to a set so You'll need 2 sets. No cutting anything as they fit the Mosfetts perfectly!
    [​IMG]
    $9.99 in sets of 10!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I believe what is what I just said in previous post. I only mentioned the Swiftech MC14 BGA Memory Ramsinks as the others were not available a year ago when I needed them. Besides that, they are the better deal @ $12.00 as you cut only what you need and if you insist on individuals, you now get 16ea. 7mm squares. They are also a few mm taller for those not having space issues.

Regardless of what versions you choose, for the GA-P35 series, you will have to cut tops off several rods if using the Zalman CNPS77009500/9700 style rentention bracket.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Finally got 2nd E6750 relapped with beter efforts. I also removed the X38 chipset IHS for added improvements and is already doing great. Fan from RAM cooling helps otu a bit too.

[​IMG]

Settling for daily use of 3.80GHz as 480x8 in 5:6 @ DDR1153 @ 5-5-5-13. Will be comparing it to my 500x8 on 5:6 DDR1200 @ 5-5-5-15 shprtly.

Clockin' Around The Clock!

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

why not try to take off the heatspreader of the proccessor?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't suppose anybody here knows about overclocking with crossfire do they? I should have that opportunity in a few days' time.

Shaff: I know you mean respect, but would you mind removing that from your signature? I don't really want to be reminded every time I post.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Shaf, taking the heatspreader off would probably not be a good idea. First of all they are soldered on there, and even if you manage to take it off safely the chip is very fragile. The heatsink would probably crush it in no time. So it's good to leave the IHS on.

15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Very nice polish 'bling job' on that CPU.
    I would however never take any lapping to that extreme, as anything over 600 grit actually tends to have a detrimental effect on heat transfer, all that is needed is flatness not mirroring.

Just thought I'd point that out as it’s a lot of hard work which won't have any benefit to cooling, I used to go to that extreme myself until I realised it wasn’t required and wasn’t doing any good.

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sorry sam. i have removed

and azubar, they arnt soldered, they are shut by glue, via silicon filling.

(just knife it)

and with screw on HS (ala most that arnt the Intel or freezer pro 7) you can choose how far you want it to sit.

17. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BigDK,
    Just to add to your post, it also voids the warranty on the CPU. If Intel can't read the numbers on the heat shield, no warranty!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

CPU IHS
    I did remove the NB chipset IHS since it doesnmt get a lot of weighted wobble. But yes the CPU IHS does come off just as easy and is or does have some thermal cement to die but is easily removed by Isopropanal, Ethenal, or Ethal Acetate or all of the above in combo cleanres. A controled drip inside one slit can be wiggled right off, and will finish lossening the glue surround as well. So yes of corse I did try this on another Core 2 and it didnt look sturdy enough to mount like that. The cool thing is, if only using the formentioned cleaners to remove (no knife), it was a snap to put back on as all you needed to do was redesolve the glue and melt back together. I did use Artic Silver Industrial cement inside (die to IHS). So this helped a 2c extra.

However the issue is not the weight so much as it is the shifting of the weight as is expected in verticle mounting. It would might be fine in a desktop or cube stacker and especially on water cooled. Lossening screws on most will not help as most retention barckets are suing springs so the weight is balanced overall, and you will only cause it to be more proned to wobbling and creating more stress on the die.

This was more so needed on A64 and was simple on 939 on since there was no weak center area to worry about and as long as you have a sold metal back plate, you were set to go.

As for the CPU mirroring, I did just make sure it was flat, and only gave it a shine cause it looked nice and actually used the silver compound to buff it with non static felt and it came shiny on its own with lil' effort. I only went 1000 on final and buffed the reston flat granite block under felt and flannel.

Additionaly; I dont know about Intel, but ASUS doesnt care or look inside. So it is easy to do the same with the x38 chipset IHS as well. I have mine to glu back if needed for another RMA.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  20. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

It does look good though sitting on that board with all the copper, its a nice looking setup.