1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

BigDK,
    You got props from my side of the pond for your ability to OC a rig. lol. docTY said you were EXTREME and he wasn't kidding!!! I'm also impressed that you haven't fried that many components considering what you do and how you do it. ;) Pretty COOL I'd say.. lol. Pun intended!!

sammyboy,
    How did OC'in that E4300 work out?? As you saw cincyrob is contemplating a build for a friend with the E4500 maybe... Are they good cpus?? Sorry a little lacking on the E4x00 series chips... :)

...gm

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, well I have a slight issue with it in my X38-DS4 but it worked fabulously in my P35 board. Overclocks from 1.8 to 3.15 with a minimal voltage increase (1.325 to 1.40) and uses very little power (77W according to Everest). Maxes at 44C under load with my Thermalright Ultra 120 and low speed case fans. Orthos puts it at about 50.

pro clockers, what do I need to set the FSB strap to in my BIOS? I've never come across this option before and there's no auto option for it. I have to choose 266,333,400, but my CPU's originally 200mhz FSB, now running at 350...

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

ATM I plan to bypass it totally, I may change my mind later if I get itchy fingers that need a newer toy, I did have the E8500 and then Q9450 on pre-order but backed out of buying when common sense kicked in for a change.

If anyone wants to give/lend me their 45nm CPU to play with then I’ll gladly take it :)

I'm trying to restrain myself and hold out until end of the year when the newer CPUs are hopefully out, but that will mean new motherboard, CPU and memory all in one go.

I certainly won't be putting any of my latest kit in the phase setup until it’s been downgraded by a newer system, CPU is the only exception as it can easily be replaced if damaged (not necessarily with a like CPU, maybe using one of my E6600s)

This DQ6 I've got now cost me £187 pre-order so I'm not ready to risk damaging it yet, wouldn’t normally pay that much but it coincided with my P5B Deluxe dying on me + I managed to put that and the Q6600 through my business so it wasn’t as big a cost as it could have been.
    I bought the Commando after deciding to sell the DQ6, but after I found some memory settings in BIOS I had previously overlooked, it suddenly became a far better OC’ing board and I decided to keep it, by then the Commando had already been tampered with, and as I’d always wanted one from when they were released I decided to keep that as well.
    There are those out there that simply throw money at things without a concern (credit no doubt) and then those lucky enough to get ES versions or gifts to tweak, but I have to balance my hobby with running a house and bringing up 4 Kids, my funds aren't unlimited.

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sam, maybe caus the x38 chip runs hotter, try making your fans a little quicker....(and bare with the sound :p)

btw i can get the GA-P35C-DS3R for £45. its fully working, just without a few cables manual (which i can get from the internet) and no backplate.

what is ones opinion?

5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

just make sure you get it up and running asap and stress test it.

Personally I wouldn't bother getting b-grade boards again.

So many people mess about with kit, stress it, break it and whatever and then RMA it, you don't know what your going to het.

I've had good and bad b-grades, but wouldn't buy one for my main rig.

You can get the backplates on ebay (usually from the US) still pretty cheap even with UK delivery.

6. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I would set it to 333 1st and then stress test it with Orthos for many long boring hours and see how that works, if you get errors try it at 400, that should handle it without any issues.

So it depends if you want to go for absolute guarantee or try and see what you can get away with, chances are the 333 will req more voltage applied, best to tinker and see what works.

The lower you can set it the better the performance will be mush like memory timings has the same effect on performance.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shaff: those are the same temps I posted as before. What's your point? (And In fact, the X38 chipset runs cooler than the P35 board due to the bigger heatsink)
    Motherboard deal sounds good, as long as you don't drop anything in the PC with no backplate!

BigDK: Thanks, I think I'll set it to 400 for now to be on the safe side. Turns outmy stability problems were graphics-related though, so I'll have to see what happens. I wish Aria wouldn't keep giving me cheap OEM knockoffs and passing them off as retail products. Yes you get the box, manual and everything but the coolers look positively homemade.
    What I wanted: http://www.overclockzone.com/zolkorn/Year2007/11/Sapphire_HD3870_3850/IMG_1362.jpg
    What I got last time: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102719
    What I got this time: http://xtreview.com/images/asus EAH3870 TOP 01.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

well after a year of service i think its time i put my p5nesli out to stud, well in the htpc anyway :) the thing is im not sure what to replace it with.

i need one that can handle ddr1066+ with high fsb(500+) what do you think? o yea im still a cheap arse so.....:) not a striker extreme 2 then.

hey sam what do you think of this for temps? only fans were psu and gpu all settings were stock (ish)
    [​IMG]
    thats 10 mins with fans
    [​IMG]
    another 10 without

i left it running all night like that but the temps only went lower as the house got colder.

and at 3.2ghz with fans
    [​IMG]
    and again with just psu and gpu fans.
    [​IMG]

ifx-14 big but cool.

the 4xxx series isnt worth it now btw, get a 7xxx.

edit

o this is why i need a new mobo
    [​IMG]
    and i want 4ghz from it.

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sam gonna love those p5n-e stable OCs :p

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sam does love my p5nesli/e4300 combo :D

nah, its just luck of the draw and i know i was lucky with both, i just hope the 8200 is as responsive too.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shaff: I've no reason to comment, my E4300 was stable at 3Ghz during the normal usage of my P5N-E SLI. I didn't experience the BSODs like theone did. The only problem is the board's not stable enough to install Vista (well, one of the specific devices isn't, not sure which).
    I did well out of my E4300 and until the chipset failed (which I'd really say is nvidia's fault, not Asus') I did far better than most with the board.
    Those are some impressive temps with a passive CPU cooler - I like! I'm surprised the chipset doesn't overheat like that. You could not just fry an egg on the heatsink for mine, but burn it!
    4Ghz from an E8200 might be difficult though, because overvolt a 45nm chip and it'll go up in smoke in days. I highly doubt you'll make 4Ghz at stock voltage, it just isn't going to happen. If you want to make 4 gigs, get an E6750 or E6850. As for the board, well you know what I'm going to recommend...

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

or the E8400 / E8500

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

E8500 maybe, E8400 I'm not so sure, for the same reasons as the E8200.

14. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

See, I'm not the only one who likes to go for extremes in overclocking. Yet I get the weirdest when I give input. As if I'm crazy for risking it or pushing them too far. We each do what we like. No pain, no game. I dont build thee to prop on a shelf for looks. And believe me, I always have at least 4~6 back systems to fall on. Like BigDK, I like to find the limits, as long as it last to my next buil, I'm all good. Besides, I cant remember using one PC for over a yr anywayz. Thus I never had to change my TIM on daily machine. Lol!

@sammorris, CPU strap of NB! These setings also have to do with CPU to RAM divides. So if using one, you may find only one of the A,B, C, D straps to work. Of corse 400 (D for Gigibyte) is most stable, but as FSB gets up there (wich most here wont use), the DDR frequency wanted may no longer fall in this strap. So now you have to use 333. Ie, for my 500x8 in 5:6 for DDR1200, I can only use C strap of 333.

Hope that helps.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I chose D. So far so good...

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

well I'll let you know after my E3110 is broke in. I'm gonna shoot for 4.2ghz with 2gb memory and if all is stable I'm going to add 2gb more ram and shoot for 4.0ghz

marsey,

you might consider an asus P5E open box (if they're available across the pond anywhere) like abuzar is looking at. only $132 US. I know the rampage formula like what I just got will satisfy your needs but I'm sure it's more than you want to spend.

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@mort
    p5e is on the list along with some from giga evga and msi but a friend has offered me a nearly new p5b dlx on the cheap and i am very tempted i must say. they took the 6xxx to some very high fsb and that is what im looking for.

i even know of a member or 2 around here who have had and gotten very good results from them so....only thing is hes not a clocker so i dont know what it can do.

@paul
    how hard were those vmods you did on yours?

sam the ifx is a monster mate, even the heatpipes are bigger. the gpu fan was spining @1200rpm to keep it cool so the mobo was cool too.
    [​IMG]
    the hr-10 helps keep those temps down alot too, you can see it top right thru the fan.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    So how come no Orthos and CPUz for the last one? LOL!!

BTW! Didn't you have your E4300 up to 3.6GHz for a while? I know someone here did it on a P5N-E motherboard, with both an early CPU and MB!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

the IFX-14 is the cats meow, even better than the ultra 120 extreme but in most cases it has to be mounted 90 degrees from traditional with fan blowing up or down like in the pic in marseys post.

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Let me know if you get to compare it side by side in exact case CPU combo and fans. Cause a year ago, it was still beat by the Ultra 120 eXtreme with same 2 fans in push/pull. The iFX-14 need the dual fan to keep up. But do keep us posted, as I will surely give it a try. Except, I use HR-07's in dual so it's already hard to configure anything oriented 90d'

Anybody notice the Xeon X3350 has come down in price to actually maybe less then expected Q9450 with equilvelent specs, less some core extentions (wich slip my mind at the moment, so anybody fill in). It has the nice 8x multi too giving an edge over the X3320.

I may get board waiting and just get one myself, Just wondering if anybody overclocked oe yet. Would love to see a 500x8 review.

Clock It Foward!

EDIT: I know it's not an OC thing, but who knows the in and outs of the nVidia Control Pannel when used in multi monitor mode w/ 2nd output to TV. having trouble getting 4:3 40" tube TV to display as widescreen (letterboxed, not morphed to fit) from PC media and DVD. My main system w/ HDTV of corse does it fine. PM me and I can explain or link me to an nVidia multi display mode tread. Thanx!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008