1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    The iFX-14 has to be a better cooler. It's very simple, Surface Area! It has twice the cooling surface area of the Ultra 120!

I do have a couple of question! Does the case have to have a cut made in it for the external cooler to go through? I saw the DFI arrangement with the PS fan cooling the exterior cooler. Can a fan be mounted on it instead, or can it be installed in such a way that maybe the case fan does the cooling?

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well temps went UP one degree after installing the fan. It's a delta fan too, running at full speed.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Checking temperatures where the Ambient temperature is so low is meaningless! The proof of the pudding is where the room temperature is 29C or above! In the summertime here it's 115F (43C) outside, it's around 82F (31C) and above in the house. We've got one AC in my room and a Swamp cooler for the rest of the house! That will tell you just how good your cooling really is! It's much harder to cool the computer down when it's hot in the room to begin with. 26C is nice but you ain't gonna see that if the room is 32C+. More like low 40s!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

To be honest, the iFX-14 has a small amount of surface area increase do to the fact that it is also slimmed out a lot to make lighter as well as 2 less heat pipes (1 actual). However, the pipes are 8mm opposed to 6mm so we shell see if it helped as much as we hoped. I do like that the 4 pipes in each stack are better spaced to distridute better.

No, in most cases, as long as you have small amount of room above the atrea of RAM slots, just behind optical drives, but in front of PSU (of average set up), you shell be fine. Now I am anctious to see the results this has on temps when used.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    Did I miss something? I thought the secondary cooler was mounted outside the case???

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

That model is a unit made exclusively for DFI LanParty UT, where it does protrude out through the I/O pannel. The production modle iFX-10 included with early iFX-14 and now available seperately is mounted directly under the mobo socket and must come up from top edge.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

That Acer laptop never ceases to amaze me. I ran Sandra Business Professional on it and it punched out 11799 MIPS! Imagine that! Tomorrow I order 2GB of Ram for it. Corsair Value Select is great for laptops! 2x1GB and usually it will run a little better Cas Latency than advertised. I would love to keep it as it's perfect for my laptop needs!

The Default screensaver is a running 3D Graphics ad, extolling the virtues of Acer laptops. The picture is well beyond magnificent! I've never seen anything like it! The 3D effects are stunning! I'm watching Eragon right now and it's like nothing I have ever seen on a computer screen before! It's definitely raised my standards for any future monitor I may buy for my main rig!

Russ

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I run PC-26400 in both my current and older Notebook even though mobo is keeping it at DDR667. I use the OCZ with good DDR800 timings wich of corse equal great DDR667 timings to 4-4-4-13. Not bad for notebook RAM so far. It's 2x2g but I configure to 3.5 for GPU dedicated RAM and so XP x64 can utilize S4/STHDD (Hibernate).

Remember, just like for our desktops, higher RAM then we need (or is speced) gives us plenty of options and headroom.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, have you seen the 17" laptop screens Russ? They're mindblowing. 1920x1200 on a screen that size has to be seen to be believed, the picture is so incredibly sharp.

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@sam dont you feel that some of the iq is lost on a screen so small?

@russ

the hr-10 is what make sthe world of difference between this and all other coolers i have seen. it mounts to the back plate for the ifx and takes all the heat away from the socket area to the fins above the ram slots via 2 heat pipes. if you have a normal case with you psu at the top you will have no issue at all runnig this setup but it you have your psu at the bottom you will need to hack a hole in the top of your case so it can poke out the top.

back to overclocking

p5nesli, well for what i paid it was a very good board and you can now get them for under £50, even better but i did spend £30 on small heatsinks for the power regs. mine will do 1750 fbs as its limit anything above that can and will post upto 1840 (refuses to post at this point on any multi) but without 100% stability. on the ram side, well it seems linked to the fsb, if i lowwer my ram i can eek abit more out of the fsb and vice versa but drr1000 is about its limit. on the flip side it did vdroop like a bitch, upto .12v under some conditions and it can be very picky about your divider.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Same basic idea on a smaller scale with the 15.4 screen. The sharpness and detail and contrast are amazing!

Marsey99,
    I'm going to respond to that even though you asked Sam! The thing is, that the detail is there to begin with so it doesn't deteriorate, but just gets smaller. I have a 7x OptiVisor that I use for turbine work and looking closely at the screen, the picture doesn't seem to break down at all. I have no idea what the Pixel Pitch is, but it has to be tiny!
    It's what I've been saying for a long time. With the closeness of the NB to the CPU and with all the connections between the CPU and NB, you get a lot of heat transfered to the CPU socket from the NB. If you can transfer that heat to another location from it's source, then the CPU will run cooler. Just adding a 6.5 cfm fan to my NB heatsink drops the MB temp 5-7C, which in turn lowers the CPU temp about the same amount!

Beat Regards,
    Russ

12. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

@ theonejrs:

Which model Acer do you have???

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Marsey: You don't lose image quality with a drop in screen size (you sit closer to a laptop screen after all) but rather with the resolution, and the dpi. Since the resolution of those screens is high (1920x1200) and the dpi off the scale at over 130 (my monitor is 101 and that's high) they look superb - you've seen how picky I am about image quality, I have very little complaint about those screens apart from the fact that some of them are prone to light leakage.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

teflonmyk,
    It's an Aspire 5610-BL50 with a T2250 1.73GHz CPU, 1GB (2x512MB) of 533 Ram, a 120GB HDD, WiFi, Dual monitor capable and a CrystalBrite 15.4" widescreen. I just now ordered 2x1GB 667 memory for it from the Egg, so I should have it tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll let you know how the new memory works out

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

Cool... I have the Extensa 5620-6830 with the T5250 (1.5 GHz) and 200 GB HDD. I upgraded mine with two gigs of G.Skill 667 from the 'Egg... I like it so far. Had it 'bout 6 months. Still not sold on Vista, though. If you have any Vista tweaks, let me know.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey so I noticed a wierd thing. When I ran prime 95 my Motherboard temps did not go up ONE DEGREE. Maybe prime 95 doesn't stress it that much? Maybe it's the Thermalright cooler? It doesn't make THAT much of an impact at idle but keeps the load temps down...

Who knows.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

teflonmyk,
    This is the first time I've ever done anything with a vista machine. I've converted several computers to XP-Pro for customers, but I never even really looked at Vista before. I do like the Vista Home Premium to a degree. It does everything it's supposed to but too much emphasis on security. I really don't like to have to ok it, when I open a program I use all the time! LOL!!

I would love to keep it, as it's a really fine well made computer, but I need to get it sold so I can finish a new machine for my roommate! I still need a case, PSU, MB and memory to do the build! I'm installing the 2GB of better memory because I would never in good conscience sell a Vista machine with only 1GB of memory to begin with. The new memory should be here tomorrow, so we'll see what 2GB does in it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

VISTA can be tweaked for most of that stuff. But is is often a hack to to get some pro media apps to run correctly. For example, you have to disable the VISTA transpanencies for Adobe Ahdition 2.0 to run. I only have VISTA Business x64, but a lot of stuf is still not ready even after 1 whole year. The UAC "User Account Control" can be disabled from tools menue using msconfig. It can easily be turned on and off as needed. I'd say leave it on during normal use but configure your daily used apps to have permissions rather then to have to click yes every time. But you can do fine w/ it off like if in XP (basic security). It can also be edited in registry group ploicies.

The use of the "turbo memory" is pretty cool, but I have not really saw an big difference except for resume form S3/S4, wich is nice on notebooks. You can also dedicate more flash RAM to GPU. My 512 8800-M can get 768 now w/ Turbo RAM in VISTA x64 SP1.

Little by little it starts to feel better as we get to learn the tweaks and the drivers get better. I'm just waiting for Adobe to become more VISTA friendly w/ their pro media suites.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  19. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I've been using Vista 64 Ulimate for a few weeks and so far have had no issues what so ever.
    Went through the learning curve on what to switch off where, and now it seems to be very stable and run every application I've ever used be it 32 or 64 bit.

Currently running Crysis in 64 mode without any of the issues some people have reported.

I managed to get the Ultimate 32/64 dual disc retail pack for £185 new, compared to the normal cost of about £370.

I must have gone mad somewhere, and started to only use legit software (getting old), I also have a copy of 32 Home premium OEM, but that was crap, even moving my GPU from one slot to another caused the OS to deactivate and I ended up having to ring them to get it activated, they're taking security too far with the OEM.
    Thats worth considering when deciding if you get the retail or OEM version especially if you tend to rebuild or upgrade over the life of a PC.

20. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Does the 32bit version of Vista have "Turbo Memory"?