1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I believe so, as my 2nd notebook was origionally x86 VISTA Premium. However, it is a feature more of a chipset & BIOS supported feature then anything ellse. I know for sure it works on the mobile chipset PM965 and of corse recent PM965 Revised (Sant Rosa Refresh) as well as upcoming Montevina (mobile G35 chipset).

@ BigDK, Please "PM" me or describe what type of pro media and office apps you run under VISTA. I had plenty of issues with such a year ago, so have not run them on my VISTA machine and took it off my notebook. If the Adobe fixes have been delt with I will reconcider my mobile install. I do like the look, just not the compatability issues I had.

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Look at my siggy, you think it'd work on my computer to boost my video card performance?

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

NO, I have not read any confirmed support or hack for Intel Turbo Memory on desktop yet. It is likely supported of the P35 and X38/X48 but Intel has locked this feature out of the chipset. So far, it is also dependent upon the Intel ICH9 SB chipset (maybe ICH8 too, but not sure). If we do see a NAND chipset hach for PCI-E 1x it will more then likely be from ASUS. They are good for that, opening the doors to features not yet available. Remember, PAT for 865P, or PRB for 865P and later for !915/925X? as well as the !925XE chipset unlock?

ASUS does offer several Notebook with T-KGA775 and do support Turbo Memory. A lot of the big gaming laptops useing the E6750 do this as well as SLI and full sized SLI external. Cool stuff.

UPDATE: I did the reg edit, and all is fine so far. I did notice that my Server x86 machine did not have these explorer entries, (but it is fine as is). Just curious.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Quick question. I heard word of incompatibilities between Creative's Sound Blaster audio cards and the nVidia 680i chipset. Anyone else heard anything about this or is it just a rumor spreading around? Could it be the cause of my computer freezing and sending a screeching sound through to the speakers/headphones?

5. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Not heard anything about it but it could be something to do with the drivers. Search torrent sites for "Daniel K Creative Drivers" and use those, they are more stable. If I am allowed to post a direct link to them, I will. Somebody let me know if I am allowed to.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The list of incompatibilities with 680i is quite large and knowing Creative's drivers, that wouldn't surprise me. I had no issues with the 650i with them though, so that would surprise me - the 680 isn't vastly different.

7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Yes, the list of incompatability issues was long with nVidia 680i in general as well as the 680 for AMD. It was just a bad experience overall for me and many enthusiast overclockers for each stability and reliability. Didn't matter what brand, it was the chipset itself. It had many BIOS issues as well wich lead to others and driver stability. Hence the reason you will NOT see a DFI LanParty on 680 anymore as new models. I can't speak for any of the other 6x nVidias, but 680 was a heck of an experience. I had to go back to my finicky 590i till I decide on 790i yet or at least for my AM2+ solution.

So to answer that question, YRS, I heard of it and experienced it. I had the X-Fi Platinum Pro back then (still do) so it may been worse for that combo.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yeah I think I may swap out my soundcard for the nifty little soundcard Asus includes with there boards and see if it helps any. Sad to give up my soundcard though :( And I will get Daniel_K's drivers, wonder whatever happened between him and Creative?

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

like I mentioned, it is more of the chipset, not ASUS or as much the card. I used X-Fi and 2 ZS Platinum Pro's in AMD 590-SLI and Intel 950i with no issues. THe SoundMax is a codec riser, not an APU, so if you already have stability issues somewhere, it is not likely to improve with codec over PCI. The SoundMax card uses more system resorces now since it lacks its own APU and RAM. Especially for overclocking. But anything is worth a shot. Believe me, it is not ASUS or DFI, as I had each. It is just a chipset and BIOS issue. Some mobo makers still poppin them out try to fix but I haven't seen any rock solid. I am already hearing of issues w/ 790, let's hope it's not the simular thing again, cause I want one of them. I want a 790AMD mobo next.

Are you experiencing this at stock or on OC profiles? Are you on BETA or FINAL BIOS rev? For the record, my 680i gained a tad more stable after FINAL BIOS and fresh install of XP x64 SP2. Actually, it's my lil' brothers mobo, but I messed w/ it enough. I remained on each AMD and Intel 590i/590AMD

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I have the 680i P5N32-E SLI mobo. I never experienced the phenomenon (spelling?) at stock speeds. My first initial OC was to 2.6 Ghz up from the Q6600's G0 stepping 2.4. I have since gone up to 3.0 and left it there as it satisfies my demands. I am using BIOS 1103 final, there are newer BIOS available but I read in a few OC forums that 1103 is the best for quad core intels.

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Wow, that's a tuffy. I had trouble but not that bad, just not daily stable or reliable for high end media work. BIOS was just buggy. I worked w/ my brother to get his Striker Extreme and it felt nice at first but just picky when it came to overclocking and at higher FSB and RAM ratios especially. I never ran my quad on it, but I do know they were hard to get going up there on the nVidia in general but especially the 680i. 400x9 was an easy "almost stock" on any other mobo and barely on the 680i.

For starters, keep the CPU:RAM linked for 1;1 equuililent for now, as this chipset had way too many black holes for me and others. keep all the RAM performance options off, keep HTT link and peg stuff to auto or stock. And make sure the SB link gets a fair share of OC volts too. Try SLI_16 up/dwn/ to 100 for now, and especially if running Gx2 GPU's. The biggest issue I had was RAM OC.

Just for starters, but either PM me or POST you CMOS options template and your settings (actual, as reported by power mangement, this mobo tends to overvolt from wich set).recap on your basic system parts, ie: PSU, GPU, APU, DRAM etc. The mobo itself is a nice piece of work with better of the nVidia for Intel editions (actually, since DFI discontinued 680 support, it is the best left). THe 680i chipset just needed much more work before release.

I only have the ASUS P5N32-SLI 590i but I'll do my best form memory of the Striker, to help get you further or at best, stable.

Good luck!

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Peainapod: Probably a lawsuit, Creative really went to town with suing people over software.
    NuckNFuts: Now you mention it, I did experience a popping sound issue a while back with my creative sound card, but IIRC it was not with my 650i, but with my nforce 4 SLI and Audigy SE PCI. Tbh, it was probably another part of that chipset's slow migration to brickedville.
    What I did however notice though, is sound STUTTER. I would experience slight pauses in sound quite regularly when my CPU was given a new overclock setting. After a few days it would slowly disappear, but whenever I changed a setting, be it the voltage, FSB or whatever, the judder was back... I never really looked much into it at the time.

You don't need me to tell you that it has never re-appeared with my P35C-DS3R or X38-DS4...

13. tripleoh

tripleoh Member

X2 4400 2x1 meg cahce
    Fsb at 334x9
    Cpu volts 1.45
    Ht 3x ( 3x334= 1002 ht speed)
    Bios 1405

Mobo A8n32-Sli deluxe
    Ram Corsair Cmx1024pro pc 3200 *3,3,3,8 1t
    2x1 gig sticks
    Raptor as main hd/ then 500gig/750gig

Cpu temp 33c -36c idel load low 50's
    Gpu 8800gts 640 oc'd 675/1500/1000
    Dangerden dd-8800gts water block
    Gpu temp's idel 40c load58-65c

750 watt psu 50amps on 12volt rail
    Thermaltake Kandulf Fulltower Liquid cooling system
    and more goodies

my qustion is and i think i know the answer but getting little hyped up... can i run like ddr2 in a ddr board??? wont the ddr2 just underclock??? if i can then newegg or tigerdirect has some ram for 10 bucks :) now it may not oc like mine but if its underclocked then i can just raise it ( see iam getting excited and i think the answer is no but lets see) So will ddr2 like 500 or little higher work in a board that is rated for only ddr400 ( but u can get the ddr433 or what not and use it on this board) ty for ur replies

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, DDR2 is different to DDR1 physically (different slot type and number of pins)

15. tripleoh

tripleoh Member

thought so :( crap

16. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Technology wise, some quality DDR1 RAM uses DDR2 ic chips to get the speed and performances from overclockers RAM such as PC-4400/4800. Even the Corsair XMS Expert series RAM uses DDR2 chips inside for its DDR1 PC-3200 LL @ 2-2-2-5.

Controller wise, AMD on 939 was not ready to handle DDR2 specs so even if mobo makers, made socket changes, it wouldnt work. This not so much the case for Intel and it's transformation from DDR2 to DDR3, where only a NAND flash has to be made to chipset to adjust for sub timings.

X2 4400+! If that's the 89w, nice set up there. 3GHz easy on air. I had to use 300*10 cause of my RAM in 1:1 for DDR6000. What RAM divider did you have to use and resaulting spds?

EDIT: who's using a GX2 on an Intel mobo yet while OC'n (mobo, noy GPU)?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I managed to get 4.0ghz out of my asus rampage formula mobo and E3110 Xeon cpu. I had to up the vcore to 1.312v to get it stable in orthos. is that too much vcore for this cpu? stock voltage is .956 - 1.225. I've also got some questions regarding some other features/settings in my bios. what are these?

CPU PLL voltage
    SB 1.5 voltage
    CPU GTL voltage
    NB GTL voltage
    DRAM Controller Voltage REF

thanks in advance.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I know this is a strange question this being the OC (OverClocking) Thread, but I have a computer that I just bought used, an eMachine T3616. A Vista Only, Socket AM-2 3600+ 2.0GHz Sempron and 512 ram. Less than a year old, but crippled by Vista Home Basic. Damn thing crashed on me 3 times in about 15 minutes just sitting there idling! I just got done converting it to XP The MB is pretty good (FoxConn) as is the quality of everthing else, so the $284.89 price tag in WalMart when new was a big surprise.

I want to put a better CPU in it, and I have 2GB of G.Skill handy. I'm trying to stay under $70 if I can so I'm thinking a 64x2 4600+ @2.6GHz would be my best bet. $66 at the Egg! I though about giving the 65nm 4050E @ 2.1GHz a shot but I don't think even with the larger cache that it would be as fast as the 4600+. Might run cooler though! I also thought about the Opteron 1210 @1.8GHz, but since I'm limited to no overclocking and I'm thinking 4600+! Of those choices, what would you guys recommend?

TYIA,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The exact figure doesn't seem to be a straight answer Mort, but from what I've heard, day to day running shouldn't really be anything above the stock voltage. I certainly know 1.36 and above seems to kill the CPUs, as for 1.3, you might be alright, but you could still be close to the danger zone if you see what I mean.
    Theone: The 4600+ is an alright CPU, and it would certainly eat your old D940 for breakfast. It's not as fast as most of the Duos which is why I don't recommend them but if all you need is the CPU, they're quite cheap for the performance level. Cache aside, I think you should see performance levels not too far off the E6400.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

that's the only con of having a new wolfdale cpu and X48 mobo. there's not that many out there yet to compare too (get answers from/about). it's just a rule of thumb that when you OC the cpu, you have to increas the vcore to keep it stable. at least with a major OC. I know the wolfdales will OC to some degree (400-500mhz maybe) without a vcore increase over the auto setting but we're talking 1,000mhz in my case.

.087v increase doesn't sound like much vcore increase. I'm not worried about heat. temps are good but then again you've got to take into consideration that I'm using a TR ultra 120 extreme w/ a scythe SFF21F 120mm fan. the only thing I am concerned about is electrical migration. I've heard the wolfdales are more susceptable to this.

on the other hand, I have read reviews on the E3110 and E8400 where they have been OC'ed to 4.3ghz+ with vcore voltage as high as 1.443+

on a side note, this mobo is absolutely amazing. an overclockers dream. no guesswork with voltages or dram frequencies. vcore voltage settings range from 1.100 to 2.400 in 075v increments. dram voltage settings range from 1.80 to 3.40 in .02v increments. same applies for NB, SB, FSB, etc voltage settings. you get the idea.

there are 4 FSB straps to choose from (200mhz, 266mhz, 333mhz and 400mhz). each of these will then give you 2 or usually 3 choices for dram frequency which are of couse dependant to the cpu frequency. there is absolutely no reason a person can't get extremely close to the rated speed of their ram regardless of where they set the cpu frequency. there are a lot of dram settings that I haven't even touched.

another nice feature is that all the OC settings are under one header in the bios (Extreme Tweaker Menu). all frequency settings, all voltage settings, and all dram settings.

this is without a doubt the most OC friendly mobo I have ever had. it takes some learning/getting used to since there are so many settings/features. I highly recommend the asus rampage formula.................

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008