1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I hear what you are saying, and I agree to a point. We all know the risks involved, and some of us are willing to take that chance, but not many of us have pockets as deep as yours, so we have to exercise a bit more caution. The problems of Electro Migration with the E8xxx chips are well documented, and apparently Intel has done something about it, as they've raised the max voltage from 1.35v to 1.50v. I don't think I would go to 1.50v with an older ones! I know a lot of us will still have at least partly what we just built a year from now, like me! All I'm doing now is upgrading certain things. That was my original plan when I bought it! I'm upgrading the memory in a few days to some G.Skill 1066 ram ( I canceled the Dominators), and my next project will either be a Q6700 Quad or a better video card. I won't need to buy anything else to get that done, so I'll be good to go for at least another year, anyway! You can never tell though. Something new and revolutionary may come out tomorrow, at the right price1 LOL!!

BTW, did you see the link I posted for those enzotech forged copper Mosfet coolers earlier today? Same basic idea as the ones you got, only they are small enough to go right on each individual Mosfet chip and no cutting. The base is 6.5x6.5mm, so fitting them in is no problem! I'll see how the Enzo Tech NB cooler http://www.enzotechnology.com/cnb_r1.htm I just ordered today works out first. I'm going to use the Antec 40x40x20mm 2200 rpm 6.5 cfm fan I have on it now, as it comes with a 40mm fan mount. I just hope it works better than the stock heatsink with the same fan on the stock heat sink! I may just go ahead and order a set of the Mosfet coolers anyway. hard to go wrong for $10 for a set of 10, complete with thermal tape to mount them. I'll keep you posted on how well that NB cooler works out.

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i have seen some of those mosfet sinks in a build log, i think it was oc.n but not 100%, he had sprayed them black and refinished the base and they looked sick.

so is the stock nb hs on the ds3r as good as it looks? it was one of the first things i thought about when i saw the board, hhhmmm looks alot like the one i took off my p5nesli. guess il just move this noctua over to it if it ever turns up.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

My E8400 i just got about a month ago that intel replaced. is it safe to say it can handle the 1.5v?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As a precautionary measure Rob, I'd see how far you can get it at stock voltage and let it settle there for a while. Whilst your at it, we'll try and do some research to find the production date when they certified them being safe at the higher voltage. I'm sure you'll agree, having a working system stable at stock speeds is our current priority!

5. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

no where on the intel site does it say give your 45nm chip more than 1.3625v.

6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Yes I saw, But I got the big ones for look, and only have to cut a few, and most mobos can take the 14mm in nice even sets + I use them all over as in VGA and such. Besides, for ones on the Zalman, there'll be cutting with either in height. You will like that NB cooler. I got it a yr back but w/o fan (not offered then), I just put my own 40x10mm (clears TR 120 on most !975x. It doesnt quite mount as is on X38, but easy to mod, just like for P35. Can you get that special fan base sepperately? Looks like it just has round sleave to rest inside rods. These really absorbs the heat away from the mobo, so for those whoe only get MB temp (not actual NB), you will see a good drop too.

That Noctua NB cooler is something else. I used it on P35 and wow, practically a small CPU cooler if using fan. Best for X38 but I am moving mine to W/C and it doesnt clear the TR RAM and GPU stuff w/ Ultra 120 aboard. Too bad, I love that cooler.

Do keep us osted on them dates. I know m8's who got new GO SLACR Q6600 and getting as good as my early batch again. They fixed something oh right.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    You are 100% correct. Too many numbers beginning with E! LOL!! The E8XXX are all 1.3625v. The Xeon counterparts are all 1.225v!

Sorry!

abuzar1,
    That was for the E6550, E6750 and E6850. The Wolfdales are all 1.3625v while their Xeon counterparts are all 1.225v. Sorry bout that! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So they didn't increase the max voltage, I did wonder...

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Sorry Sam. I had about 25 windows open at the time and I was cross checking voltage specs. I just totally blew it! LOL!! It would be nice if Intel would make a semblance of sense with their CPU numbering scheme. It would make things a lot easier to keep track of! LOL!!

cincyrob,
    It's your choice, but I wouldn't go a hair over 1.35v myself with a Wolfdale! Too many documented problems that people have had! Intel might frown on replacing another CPU!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's fine, I was a little unclear myself.

12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

its funny you should say that as i have used the fan off my 4300 stock heatsink and to me it looks like a mini freezer pro. cools great too if the readings on this mobo are to be trusted.

has anybody seen the new gigabyte x48 extreme or somthing? the stock heatsink on that is as mad as a hatter. im sure it will help cool the board but i cant hepl feel it will also pull the heat from the back of your vid cards into it too.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You guys got a link to this wonderful cooler.

14. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

The Gigabyte EP45, isn't that a beautifull piece or work. I wish ASUS would pick up a thing or two and buy some real copper. Lol!

What heat sink? The Noctua NC-U6 Chipset-Cooler. Hard to find here but all over the UK and Europe. Here's an article; dragonsteelmods.com or here's the site; Noctua NC-U6

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Looks like my TR HR-05. Is this any better?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm receiving one of those in a week and a bit's time, are they good? I grabbed it because it was £10.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I have the SLI version but it's essentially the same. It's great my load temps only increase by 1C or so and it turns out it keeps it right at ambient temp when it's IDLE.

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

YES, I found it much better on X38 (especially mounting w/ ASUS 4 hole). But it also has twice the pipe and almost 25& more fin area so w/ a good 92mm fan, yoiu can really can take some heat up off the chipset and of corse away from mobo surface. They are tricky to integrate into an existing outfit w/ TR Ultra 120 onboard if oriented front to back, you must rotate it top to bottom, but you can now use a 92mm fan to push more aire right through it. A case w/ fan on top is best for this set up, like Coolermasters big tower w/ PSW at bottom.

The HR-05/SLI or iFx-05/SLI are great too, I use more of them cause of easy fit.

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I don't really know why such a massive NB heatsink is needed. the thermal rating for the X48 chipset and the ICH9R SB is an unbelievable 90c. my NB and SB are both running at 43c w/o any chipset fans. the mobo temp is 32c.

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I was speaking of the X38 on 90nm wich is also rated to around 70~90c I believe. But real world performances drops off over 60c, and 50c is more of what we want to aim for in OC stability. X48 is on 65nm so it should run a tad cooler so 43c on the NB is a bit warm for stock. If over 500FSB then is fine. Dividers and or more RAM and tight timings will add to the heat. I get 39c idle, 44c loaded on my X38 on stock air (SE version, less fin then non SE) and at a NB of 1.52v and FSBT of 1.472. at 500FSB. So you should be able to bring down the temps a bit on the X48. Also, the plumbing of the SB takes on back flow heat from the NB on these ASUS designs.

You got a sweet board there to overclock with, PM me if you want to need CMOS profile input, most for getting over 500FSB easy w/ right CPU/RAM combo.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008