1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Nuck,

my NB, SB, and FSBT are all set on auto. NB voltage is at 1.62v (spec is 1.25v). that's what my mobo overvolts it too so I just left it on auto. my FSBT is at 1.39v (spec is 1.20v). my SB is at 1.06v (spec is 1.05). my buss speed/cpu freq is at 455mhz. nothing special about my ram. 2gb at 1068mhz (534 x 2) 5-5-5-15 at 2.22v

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

These ROG series tend to overvolt, but no biggie, just set and view in power tab (CMOS) to adjust for what you really need. manual is best. You'll find a lot of it is more then you really need, especially vdimm and PLL. For a dual, 1.6 on NB is kinda high, try 1.5v for FSB of 475~500, or 1.472v for 450~475. 1.40v is fine at mild 400FSB, but add if using dividers. I have no idea yet on the safe or comfort PLL zone for the Xeons yet. I am getting the X3350 and I hear it cant handle nowhere as much as the Q6600. Mine uses 1.648v daily some need 1.712 to hold 480~500FSB.
    What kind of daily FSB range and dividers are you using?

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I set it and forget it. no daily setting and performance setting as such. my pc is not on 24/7. probably 6 - 8 hrs a day usually. I've always stayed with the default divider (usually the highest as I can't afford the extreme edition cpu's). maybe my method is wrong but for example, to achieve 4.0ghz, I run 455 x 9 as opposed to 500 x 8 or 571 x 7.

I set the NB to 1.47v. lowered the NB temp 3c (40c now) and SB 1c (42c now). I also changed the FSBT to 1.33v (highest green setting). is that high enough?

just for my knowledge, what is the benefit of running a higher fsb with a lower divider? I've often wondered that. I could see it with older chipsets where you are trying to achieve a certain fsb: dram ratio but with this mobo and the 4 straps that is no longer necessary.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Newegg is dropping the Price on the P5E everyday! It's 150 dollars now. A little bit more and it's mine.

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

omg how cool do these boards run???

21c is as high as ive seen it but i get another mystery temp of -2c??? i was surprised by the size of it too, they are so narrow my gpu overhangs it by near 3 inch.

so far so good, booted fine upped to 3.2ghz, installed what i need and now i wait. i think i will see how far it can strech its legs over the weekend and then il post some shots for you.

russ how much did you need to increase the chipset volts on yours when you hit 500 fsb?

noctua, they were the reasons i choose it over the hr-5. it was only a few pounds difference in price but the nc-06 had slighty more surface area and twice the heat pipes so i went with it. i think its great and it really did help my p5nesli to oc. not put it on this board yet but looking at the temps im not sure i will need too :D

7. tripplite

tripplite Guest

alright my genius ocing friends............

i just helped my buddy build a nice new rig with a
    athlon x64 3.2ghz, we have a proper cooling installed and he might be interested in OC'ing that bad boy:p

-how much do think it can handle OC'D, whats its limit?

-has anyone her overclocked one?? and at what speed oc'd did they find the sweet spot???

alright thanks guys:)
    -tripplite

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

3.4/3.5ghz and it will get warm. the 6400x2 is almost pushed to the limit of the tech its made on so it only clocks a little bit.

gl+hf with it tho.

9. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

How would I go about overclocking my RAM? I have 2x1GB OCZ @ 2.1v and 2x1GB Adata @ 1.8v. All are 800MHz. I would like to push it to the limits with the best stability. I know how to adjust voltage and speed and all but by what intervals would I do it at and how would I test stability.

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

RE: AM2 X2 6400 I just mentioned this CPU a few post earlier. It is nice but since it is 90nm and stock 120w, it is hard to keep cool on an overclock. And for getting the 3.5GHz I spoke of, it will typically need more then the 1.5v most are afraid to use. I know it can handle several day of 1.6v to hold 3.64GHz but I dont even know for dailiy use if thats safe for the AMD stuff. This is a lot of stress on a nVidia so I'd say go for the nV590 or new 790 as the 6x series had many quirks about it.

Also good cooling like the ThermalRight become more of a must when OC'n this boi. I'd say 3.4GHz is realistic for 1.34v or less, but on good cooling. Just try to keep it under 61c comfort zone, 66c peak (actual cores, not CPU die). The BE is an unlocked version wich utilizes lower multi and on a good gaming mobo can handle 400FSB nicely and DDR1200. Non BE locked multi are fine for those overlook the lower multi anywayz and are forced to only use a high 16x. But with a mobo that offers the DDR1066 divider, you can work with it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

4 sticks are hard enough to OC on any chipset, but with 2 different grade (quality and timinges) it's trickier. You can at best expect to get the lower of the best for the Adata RAM installed and loosen the OCZ to match. If you latest BIOS offers a trfc of 50, use it to help stable out the 4x 1g sticks. Most DDR2 can handle 2.2v fine if kept cooled. OCZ already has one of the better stock heatsinks so try to cool the Adata to match. What model oCZ? I would try to know the limit of the Adata on it's own 1st cause this is likely the RAM that will set the ceiling height on the 4 stick OC. Then relax overall timings a tad to keep stable, Do try to use trfc (Row Refresh Cycle Time) to 55~55 for stability. if only 42 then just add more vdimmor loosen timings some more, Amd DO, disable any performance boosters.

Keep RAM in 1:1 or Auto frequency and strap for now. lots of OCZ 800 is known to hit 1000MHz. And several can handle 2.24v if need be.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  12. tripplite

tripplite Guest

NuckNFuts- if i can only push it 200mhz then i think its best to leave it at stock speeds;)

thanks guys!

-tripplite

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

core2kid,
    Simple! Lose the Adata and replace them with another pair of the OCZ. There's really no other reliable way. If it was Latencys it wouldn't be such a problem, but .3 difference in the voltage is a lot when it comes to memory. The OCZs need that 2.1v. They might boot up at 2.0v, but may BSOD on you with any kind of load. You will get more out of just the 2GB of OCZ memory without the Adata installed at all! Every set of the Adata I've ever come across got very hot when you upped the voltage. I'm assuming these are the red ones?

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. shubagh18

shubagh18 Regular member

Hello All

I have the following problem with my PC and would appreciate any help. It only occurs when I am playing high performance games such as Call of Duty 4. The game will load fine. Once into the game and playing within a few minutes it will crash stating no signal input on the monitor.

I have noticed just before this happens the graphics card fan begins to really speed up. You can hear game for few seconds before i hear beeping noise and have to reset the PC. I initially thought it could be a power issue and replaced it with a new one to rule that out. I have this morning downloaded ATI TOOL and manually changed the fan speeds to 100 % and I still have the same issue.

Is this classic sign that the graphics card is broken ???

AMD Athlon 64X Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20GHZ
    2GB RAM
    GRAPHICS CARD: ATI RADEON X1950 PRO
    600W Seasonic Brand New Modular POWER SUPPLY

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It sounds like either you overclocked your graphics card way too much or that it's heating up. Run ATITool artifact scanning and check how your temps are doing.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shubagh 18,
    Sounds like the video card is overheating. Do you have any utility like Everest that will tell you the temp of the video card. Do you have any idea what kind of video card it is? If it's an Ati, Ati tool would be useful as I believe it shows the temps. Overheating would be my guess.

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

18. shubagh18

shubagh18 Regular member

Thanks for all your help guys.

ck5134, I will try what you said and update the drivers for my card and will let you know the results.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

This is usually a sign of a graphics overheat more than anything else. Try using ATITool to force the fan speed on your card up a bit (try 60% or so)

20. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

the latest drivers arent always the best, look for stability.

also what brand card is it you own????

i know sapphire have released a fan speed bios update, to help reduce overheating.

more info here -> http://forums.sapphiretech.com/announcement.php?f=4

if your unsure about flashing the bios of the card you could always fit an after market cooler which can solve this problem.

i had screen blanking before in cod 4 but then i realised that there was 2 drivers still on my system.

also if you have overclocked your graphic cards memory try backing it off.

sam built a nice system up for my mate last week with 2 his iceq 3870's in cf, on ccc it only shows one card, he doesnt want to overclock it though, but i did look and yeh its unclear about overclocking them in crossfire.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008