1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If there is ever a problem (and there is, albeit after 8 hours), then chances are it will eventually catch you out when you really don't need it, like an important bit of work, or after having done a very hard section of a game, or at 99% of a video encode.
    if I were you I'd try dropping it, or changing what you do, to stop the problem from occurring. 8 hours is unusually long, but if problems occur, then you need to turn something down.

2. punqewe

punqewe Active member

Yeah I was thinking of going down to 2.45GHz and testing again tonight. I'll give er' a try.

3. furryboo

furryboo Regular member

I have just purchased a Asrock K7NF2-RAID motherboard. I was just wondering whether anyone knew the settings for the bios so I can get my XP2800 chip running at it's fastest. I have been told the chip can run at 2.25Ghz...

Thanks

Da_Boo

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How fast it will run is dependent on your RAM and Heatsink. If you've got good cooling and quality memory (Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, OCZ etc) then you should go far. If you're running extra value RAM then I wouldn't expect great things.

5. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

He's right there...I had 768MB Kingston DDR RAM in my pc, and could coverclock my AMD Athlon 64 3000+ to 2.5GHz, now that I have added two 512MB sticks of value RAM (from a pc that was being destroyed...no point in wasting...if bought I would have gotton more Kingston) I can't overclock my CPU without it crashing.

Also the more expencive the RAM you have the more you can overclock that to give your pc that little bit more of an edge...again prior to additional RAM I could run all of my pc overclocked.

I only run on a £20 coolerfan for the CPU, but have a couple of case fans aswell to increase airflow and reduce the heat build up...they are all 80mm though and so increase the noise a lot.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now the question answer man becomes the question asking man.

I'm looking at getting an X2 4200+ and overclocking it, as far as is possible with normal resources. I see little point in a 5% overclock, so if that's all I manage (i doubt it) then I ain't going to bother.
    Whilst I know what the process involves, I've not done it myself, and in particular with Athlon64s and their hyertransport bus I'm missing a few of the bits of information required to do it successfully.

I'm intending to use an Arctic Cooling Freezer64Pro Heatsink, and Arctic Silver V Paste. Now, how would I go about an overclock, and is standard Kingston CAS2.5 RAM ok for the job?

7. punqewe

punqewe Active member

Well an update on my OC.

I turned it down a bit....my settings now are

PC GEAR
    Asus a8n-sli Mobo
    Athlon64 3200+ 939 Venice DH-E6 (stock 2.0GHz)
    1 gig of Kingston ddr400 pc3200 2x512

NEW SETTINGS

CPU-2.45GHz (10x245@1.5v)
    RAM-2.5-3-3-6@2.8v
    HTT-4x
    PCI Synch-33.33

I am now stable as ever with stock cooling. I have heat spreaders on my ram now and my idle temps are about 31 celcius and my load temps are about 47 celcius. Temps tested at about the 5 hour mark of Prime95.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not bad, you're running the equivalent of a $330 CPU for $150.

9. *agent47*

*agent47* Guest

i have a 256mb X850 agp card. (agp sucks - i know)

how do u go about over clocking this???

for will the benefits be?

10. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

It should have an OC program that is on your comp when you installed it.......O and you have to make sure you have enough cooling...Or you could screw up your graphics

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2006
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nah, with stock cooling which is what 99+% of people use, you're not going to wreck the GPU, the software won't allow you. The worst case scenario is that the PC will need to be restarted.
    AGP doesn't really suck, you'll find plenty of PCI express cards slower than that one, trust me!

tocool4u, I appreciate you helping everybody out, but sometimes I think you should read through stuff before you post, no offense meant, but sometimes you could lead people down the wrong track.

12. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

YEA OK>>>>>>>But i havn't found a sight with stuff i can learn from...Can you please direct me to 1..O and i knew it would restart if it got to hot or system became unstable..because i have like the crapiest RAM that i can't OC at all wothout out my system becoming unstable....I found a really good Hardware sight but it is only a forum http://forums.vr-zone.com
    No but i am serious though i knew it wouldn't srew up his card i was just scaring him...Or just over exaggerating the point :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2006
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes well, don't... A lot of people ask because they genuinely don't know, you scaring them isn't going to help proceedings!

14. *agent47*

*agent47* Guest

ok thanks for that info, what tempurature is safe for the graphics card to be at? wot is the average? what is the safe highest??

and if i did overclock, will extra fans help, or is water cooling needed?

and what are the real benefits? just it really make a difference by having an extra 100mhz memory clock?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With graphics cards there's no real rule of thumb. Some cards will operate significantly above 100ºC whereas others may start to creak at 70. I wouldn't worry about heat too much, if there are any problems you'll hear about them - artefacting, stability problems, restarts. I would never recommend water cooling to anyone as it's a disaster waiting to happen. Just buy plenty of low noise fans (below 25dB). In general you can never have enough cooling, so if there's room to fit it, do it.
    An extra 100mhz on memory is quite significant and can reduce the slowdown on games quite effectively in a few instances.

16. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

Well when I o/c my CPU I clock it up by about 50mhz on the core clock and 110mhz on the memory and I can't say that it makes much if any difference. I am only running a GeForce 6200 TD, which is why it can only go up a small amount, plus it is also on stock cooling which means it may not be clockable higher.
    Also being a cheap card it doesn't have a temperature sensor (that I know of), which means I can't tell on the temp fronts.

On the side of cooling, you only need watercooling if you are really, really overclocking you pc, as most fan cooling will perfome well enough for the smaller (new to clocking) overclocking.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With a Turbocache graphics card however, not all the RAM is from the GPU, so increasing the memory speed will make very little difference indeed.

18. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Hello guys,I'm new to this thread and don't have much knowledge of overclocking but I have managed this so far.
    I would appreciate any suggestions on what you think I might do to get more from this rig or if it's already maxed out.
    [​IMG]

It is running stable at this speed with a cpu temp.of 31c.(system #2 in sig.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2006
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The image is difficult to read because it's rescaled...
    Is that a 2.6Ghz core speed?
    If so, that's a very good result and I'd be happy with it!

20. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

@ sammorris,Yes that is 2.6ghz. I have resized it,hope fully it will be more ledgible. This was all accomplished without any voltage changes,or memory timing modifications.My intentions were to achieve maximum performance with my S-754 platform.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2006