1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ck, the big cooling problems only affect the 3870s. The X1900 an X1950 series cards were noisy beggars but they didn't usually overheat like the 3870s do.

2. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Im slapping one of these on my card, that should sort the cooling out nicely :) http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/ati-vga/cl-gfxchilla

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

4. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

ill stick with the one im getting, seen reviews with it against yours and its withing a few degree's so ill save money :) anyway off to a Lan do catch ya soon :) hf all

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe I'm off to a LAN in a week's time, have fun!

6. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Without wishing to sound cheeky, that's because people's expectations are lower. With A-Data it's "wow, it was cheap stuff but actually it works, 5 stars!". With OCZ it's "Well it overclocks, but not as far as I would have liked. 4 stars"
    Abuzar: The HR-03GT reliably outpaces the Duorb by 5 degrees, and makes about a quarter of the noise.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I only recommended it because he was going with the other cooler that is cheaper but the DuOrb is the same price.

10. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

So basically see how far I can push the 2 brands individually. What program should I use to test the RAM after the overclock? Does Prime95 test CPU + Memory?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Orthos does.

12. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Ok, thanks. Ill test it out and post back.

13. shubagh18

shubagh18 Regular member

Hi

I am working on changes now that you have mentioned I have downloaded the sapphire BIOS update can anyone help me update the BIOS please.

Thanks and Regards

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

core2kid: All told that cooler will probably work fine for you, butmy philosophy regarding replacement coolers for GPUs is that it's not something you're going to want to have to do again, so you may as well guarantee you're going to get it right first time. The HR-03GT can't be that much more money, and it's a proven performer, so why not?

15. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

You sure that was to me? I wasn't looking at a new video card.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry buddy, no it was directed at ck.

17. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

lol sam theres nowt wrong with the cooler im getting trust me i dont give a damn about a couple of degree's but its silent, seen them in operation and they perform very similar.

18. ccbl

ccbl Member

new to this... built a computer around 9 months ago.. not anything too new.. just wanted something cheap yet with decent power

i have an asus P5N32-E-SLI with an intel 6300 Core 2 cpu at 1.86ghz.. i heard these things can be overclcoked up to 3.0Ghz... i don't really care to max it that much but would like over 2.4ish for sure...i dont even know if this is the thread for a question like this but its worth a shot. i have fair bit of knowledge in terms of how a computer works but i have never overclocked a cpu before..

QUESTION.. how can i overclock this safetly? is there links to where i can look to see how someone with my setup or similar to it did it with pictures?i've been through the motherboard settings before but don't really know to much what to change and how much to change at a time..

other info... i have..
    - 2gb ddr2 6400 of ram from OCZ Rev 2.0 platinum
    - 500 watt psu from taotec..
    - zelman heatsink.. i forgot which one..will post model later if necesarry...
    - 500GB sata HD from seagate

thanks in advance... and let me know if i need to start a new thread for this kind of question. thanks

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

All you need to do is go into your BIOS and change your FSB to 342. It's not a major overclock so you shouldn't have to change anything else.

Let us know how it goes.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ck: I have a case fan almost identical to the blue fans used on that GFXChilla. It's not a loud case fan but it's far from silent, I'd put it about 27dB (trust me, the 18dB figure on the fans is cobblers, companies always lie about the noise level of their fans), and don't forget I only use one of them. The problem with them really is that because they use so many blades, they make a much higher pitched noise, which the ear is more sensitive to. Using a cooler on a card as powerful as the HD3870 means it'll get hot too, so you will probably need those fans at their full speed. I could get away with running my X1900XT on an HR-03 passively with no fan at all. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily expect that from the 3870 and an HR-03GT, a 92mm Nexus fan would be silent by comparison to the GFXChilla.