1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

well i got a p5k-e and a used E2140, and i got it to 2.8GHz at 1.32 (cpuZ) Vcore.

took it to 3.0GHZ, but its unstable with orthos at 1.34

should i push it more?

i left the NB Voltages to 1.25, but the next one is 1.4 so not sure if i should move up.

at 2.8Gz under orthos load it neither core goes past 50C checked with everest and HardWareMonitor.

also sould i do anything to CPU PLL?

and my corsair ram is rated to run at 444 12 at 2.1, and in doing 350 FBS with 1:1

should i push it more, or leave it?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is the E2140 normally 1.325V like the 2160? If it is there's no harm in going as high as 1.4V.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

ok thanks. what about NB voltages?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd try going as far as you can without raising them first. Chipsets will be just as prone to electronmigration and 150mV is a big increase.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

shaf,

you may need to raise the NB and FSBT a bit. 1.4v NB won't hurt.

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

1.4v? i had my p5n upto 1.7v and it was still only reporting temps of around 35/40c after hours of abuse.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    Different chipset! The P35 runs a bit hot to begin with at stock voltage. That's why I added the 6.5 cfm Antek fan to mine and why I'm going to install the EnzoTech NB cooler on it Tuesday when the Dominators get here. I'm also pulling the Freezer 7 Pro and remounting it with MX-2 thermal compound at the same time.

I'm running on 1 stick of 512/667 memory at the moment as UPS is supposed to pick up the defective G.Skill 1066 memory sometime today. Just for funnz, I ran Sandra on it running stock at 2.66GHz. These new CPUs from Intel never cease to amaze me as it still pumps out over 24,000 MIPS!

[​IMG]

Stock voltages and half a lung! Amazing!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually Russ, my P5N-E ran at around 75C for the chipset versus only the 45 for the P35, and my board lasted far longer than yours! From what I gather the chipset on that wasn't supposed to get nearly as hot as it did, but hey. The way I see it, if the heatsink's cold and the northbridge temp is huge then the heatsink obviously isn't working. But when the northbridge claims to be 43C and you burn yourself on the heatsink for it, then measure it with a thermal probe to be in the mid 70s, what do you make of it? granted, there's not much airflow in my case, but that never affected anything else in my system, nor did it affect the P35-DS3R that replaced it!

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    True, but I blew mine out with a cheapo PSU and overclocking it too high on an essentially obsolete MB. If you remember back then, I wasn't having any temperature issues either except when the Zalman 9500LED lost it's coolant and the CPU temp shot up. That may well have something to do with it's failure as well. Liquid on the motherboard never helps either! LOL!! I'll go with Morty with the 1.4v for the P35. I don't know about the 650i!

What do I make of it? Well I know my P35 was hitting 53C when I got it and the 40mm fan mounted to the NB dropped that 11-13C. 75C is pretty hot for any chip though!

I'm surprised you didn't comment on the Sandra bench! I know I was pretty surprised! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I looked at it, but forgive me, I don't see what's to be surprised about. Your CPU's a wee bit faster than the E6700, which surely is to be expected?

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Hell, I never even looked at mine at stock speed and I didn't even think of the E6700. That's why I was surprised. Flat stomps the D-940! LOL!!

No one seems interested in the D-940, which surprises me as we've had a bunch of guys with Celerons ask about overclocking. It would be a pretty good upgrade from one of those. I guess it's the same with the 3600+ Sempron. No interest there either. The Sempron is for AM-2 and 64x2s are pretty cheap. I still like the way the AMD runs though.

No more problems with the games on it since I upped the screen refresh rate to 70 hertz. I guess it defaults at 60 for the LCD monitors. Would raising it to 85 Hertz help anything?

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe well, going to a Core 2 Duo from an Athlon64X2 was a noticeable upgrade for me, let alone from a Pentium D! You're running a higher speed than me as well so the difference should be even bigger.

As for the refresh rate issue, is this a CRT? Because I've never had to use anything but 60Hz on an LCD, ever, but using anything less than 75Hz on a CRT hurts my eyes from the blur.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Yes, it's that old Dell. Best CRT I ever owned. The dot pitch is the smallest I've ever seen on any 19" flatscreen, at .024. I'll never get rid of it even if I have to replace the tube! It's that good! I've owned a number of Viewsonics, NEC's and other high end CRTs I can't remember the names of, and this one is the best of the lot. I just wish it was widescreen! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, you need to use 75Hz or more with CRTs really.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I'll set it to 85 tomorrow. I didn't touch it after I set it to 70 Hertz. Part of the reason for you is the 50 Hertz current. We don't have that problem here with 60 cycle current. I remember the first tim I was in London, the TV's there used to drive me nuts. Not to look at but like out of the corner of your eye when you were doing other things around the room and you could notice this almost imperceptible annoying flicker. I guess my eyes were still set to 60 cycles! LOL!! Either that or my hangover from the Rock Concert in Mayfair Park the night before! I took the girl from the Magazine stand in the Mayfair hotel to the concert! She told me about the Rock Concert, so I invited her! Had a great time! LOL!! Yikes!! It's so far past my bedtime that it's nap time! LOL!! Been busy! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Meh, I prefer the UK system as our standard def TV is 1024x576 and not 853x480! lol

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Actually, our Broadcast TV isn't even that good. On a real good set you might get 450 lines. More like 560x420 or so. They are not like a monitor where you can see every dot of a given resolution. TV blows here anyway. I rarely even watch it anymore. Most of what's on are nothing more than glorified Soap Operas! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeedy, the precious few Tv programs I like usually get grabbed off the internet, shall we say. I rarely watch TV any more.

19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I agree, I still use a 19" wide Falt CRT for my graphice and video editing and it just blows any LCD in the $500. range away. I can run it to 120+ HRz for crystal clear in 16??x960 and it looks beautifull. Thing can look so tiny but at least you can still read it.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I couldn't agree more!

I have the commercial version of the Dell 1226H 19" Flatscreen, which is .024 dot pitch and with a good video card it does some astronomical resolutions. Crystal clear and sharper than any other monitor I've ever seen. NEC made one just as good too (same tube)! no eyestrain here! LOL!! I even have a new tube for it in the closet all boxed up brand new from Toshiba. If it goes out, I'll repair it. I don't care what it costs! It's almost 8 years old and if I live another 10 years, it will still be around. Magnificent CRT monitor!

Best Regards,
    Russ