1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interestingly enough, for the same overclock my P35C-DS3R autoed at 1.41V, the X38-DS4 at 1.44V. I assumed that was more due to vdroop though, or lack of it.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll answer them in the order they were posted to avoid confusion.

marsey99,
    That would be a bummer! LOL!!

sammorris,
    Gateway, eMachines, HP and Compaq all adjust the voltage on their own. All overvolt them a small amount automatically.
    Yeah well, stupid is as stupid does. That's why I'm against extreme overclocking on this thread. Far too many Newbies come here for advice and they are not going to even think about it and maybe blow things up! I knew better and I let my "Lust" for power go to my head! I wanted to be like others and see it run at 4.0GHz!
    No it always ran at 1.44v minimum, but i had already talked to intel and was assured that 1.5v was the limit. I honestly didn't realize that it was failing at the exact same CPU speed, in spite of the different FSB settings and multipliers. I didn't snap to that until my post last night! LOL!!

abuzar1,
    I'm going to do just that!

NuckNFuts,
    Nope, it's the CPU calling for that voltage. I tried 2 different motherboards I have here for customer build and one reads 1.43v and the other 1.44v on auto at 2.66GHz. Not blaming you in any way, BTW! I should have know better than to try to get to 4.0GHz out of the box like that. Had I not been so obsessed with seeing 4.0gHz, I wouldn't have even have bought this CPU, I would have bought the E6850 instead for the 9x multiplier and more flexibility with my settings. My own fault entirely!
    LOL! How long before we see a Six Pack, and I don't mean MGD, I mean six cores (Triple Decker?)! LOL!! They've about reached the limits already and have to use some pretty fancy technology with the ones we have already, what with special compounds to minimize Electro Migration now. The pathways are about as small as is practical for proper operation without problems. More cores is the only answer at the moment. You can only get so much crammed into the available real estate! I firmly believe that's why a lot of these CPUs were not available for a while and the change in voltages on some of the C2Ds. It's the very reason that some of the Quads aren't true Quads, but rather paired Duals. Maybe Intel thought they would mate! ROFLMAO!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Update with the Q6600 w/ 680i Asus motherboard. Well I read a article over at overclock.net So I downloaded the 1203 BIOS, installed said BIOS, loaded up my previous BIOS OC settings and booted. So far it is a stable 3.0 Ghz @ 48-51 degrees celsius. Temps within range for this proc.? Comments? Bueller?

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Pea,

is that cpu temp or core temps? idle or loaded? what cpu hsf do you have?

5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

That is my core temp as reported by CoreTemp ver.0.96.1 That is at idle (iTunes and web browser open, along with some system tray apps.) and I am using this Thermaltake CPU/heatsink with AS5 thermal paste. Everything is housed in a Cooler Master Cosmos case.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

may be a little on the warm side. my E3110 (OC'ed to 4.0ghz) core temps at idle are 41c according to core temp, 46c according to everest ultimate edition.

you need to run OCCT or orthos for an hour and keep a close eye on your core temps. if they climb over 70c, I would shut it down. during OCCT or everest, my core temps will rarely bump 60c according to core temp, and 65c according to everest.

I am not at all familiar with your cpu hsf. I don't know what stepping your Q6600 is but those with the GO stepping are easily capable of 3.4ghz. some are getting 3.6ghz plus with adequate cooling.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

PeaInAPod,
    What's your address, and when is no one home! LOL!! That's a nice looking case!

Seriously, I wish they would make a Mid-Tower model as that sucker is tall! Almost 25". My CM cavalier is only 17.25" tall. at 20" deep it has pretty good working room for a Mid-Tower. Mine sits on my desktop to my right and I'd have to stand up to change DVDs with the cosmos! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Running orthos now. Core temps seem to be hovering between 60C and 62C. Gradually seeing more of the latter.
    After 4 minutes of testing I'm at 70C for coretemp...

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

ouch, what program are you using to read core temps? core temp, everest? with mine everest reports 5c higher core temps than core temp does but everest is on par with what OCCT reports.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Stabilised at 78C Cores and 41C CPU. This using CoreTemp 0.98.1 for the cores, SpeedFan 4.33 for the CPU core (Speedfan read 63 for the cores btw) and running whatever the most recent version of orthos is.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    that's really odd! I thought your temps were so low? Gina's E4300 hits 56C running OCCT. I didn't have Orthos back then!

Mort81,
    I just checked with the newest version of CoreTemp and it and Everest agree on the temps! Hmm.... CoreTemp is version 0.97.1 which came out March 8, 08. Everest is version 4.50.1330. Doesn't work that well on K8 motherboards. It will read the CPU, but it doesn't read the cores right. They tell you that when you install it. I was running the 4.20 Corporate Edition, but no display in the system tray!

Edit I just downloaded CoreTemp 0.98.1 and it reads the same!

Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Aside from coretemp they are. The CPU temp only reaches 41-42C, be it speedfan, everest or whatever else. Coretemp however, 78...

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

1st of all I took an ambien sleeping pill and have tunnel vision big time and feel like I'm drunk but I did manage to dl core temp vs 0.98.1 and it now also agrees with everest. damn it took me five minutes to type that one sentence. I better go to bed. under load my cpu temp remains about 10c under my core temps give or take a degree or two. GN and ttyt.

sam, did you manage to run orthos for 1 hour?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I did, yes, and as of about 20 minutes in the temp remained at a steady 78C for coretemps and 42C or so for the actual CPU.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I would guess they are not up to scratch on the X38 chipset yet! I would believe Everest and speedfan if they match. I just can't see an E4300 getting that hot! My temps were cooler with it than the E6750 that replaced it. I know I'm a copycat, but I just may save up and get the same MB as you. Everything I've heard about it is good. Oh you hear the usual bitching about the IDE port Placement or stupid stuff like that, but it seems to be a very good MB. Then around Thanksgiving I want to get at least a Q6700 for it. If I can't get the MB then I'll put a Q6700 in this one! No Big!

Hows that cooling for the chipset working out? What kind of MB temps you seeing? How's the CrossfireX going? Boy, I ask a lot of questions! LOL!! I'll have to sit down and read the manual and see what it's all about.

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The cooling for the chipset has been superb. It's the coolest chipset heatsink I've had for years, both in what Speedfan reports and how it feels to the touch. It can manage the same overclock I pulled with my P35C board, so that's all fine and dandy too. Crossfire X, however, has been a trial. That's not unexpected, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite as ridiculously tedious and painful as it has been. To cut a long story short, the most recent revision of Catalyst is the first good one for a very long time, and keeping two rather poorly-designed graphics cards cool in a case with practically no airflow where one card exhausts into the case is a nightmare. The Asus card (which I received as an RMA for the DOA Sapphire one - just as well, that thing was LOUD!) runs fine regardless, despite how cheap the cooler looks. Even if you only run the Powercolor one on its own though, you have to increase the fan speed, and if you run both and use crossfire, you have to have high speed case fans as well (For the time being until I get rid of the stock cooler on the Powercolor card a 2000rpm Antec tricool has taken the place of the Nexus as my side fan. It's still hooked up to a fan controller and I turn it completely off for normal use, but when gaming with crossfire, even you'd moan about the noise level)
    Still, the 3d performance of some games is mindblowing, and given the total cost of the affair, while still not on a par with a big single card, given the lack of that option in recent months, it's worthwhile for those who want the best performance, and who are VERY patient.
    As a technology though, it's still a bit poor and needs some work.

Back to the motherboard though, I think you'll like the X38-DS4. I see no reason why it would need a teeny chipset fan to cool it (and heck, the heatsink is so big if you did add a fan it would be far from teeny) and it already comes with a good Vreg heatsink (bear in mind, however, that this is linked to the chipset one with a heatpipe, so if you replace one you have to do both). The southbridge heatsink is as tiny as they always are, but it gets the job done.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    That's good to know. I just downloaded the Manual for it. God, PDF downloads are so slow!

BTW, My Pipless Pipe Organ is coming along pretty good. I'm working on a program to modify the pitch slightly depending on the weather. Temperatur, Humidity Etc. I may give that up though as the humidity here is usually very low. It's probably not practical here. I've got about 2500 Pipes stored so far, and I plan on another 5500 or so. I've tuned them by ear (I have perfect pitch) and with the software for it altering the pitch in a totally random fashion, they sound pretty good. I have a Wurlitzer 260SP 4 manual console to tune them, but I need to get a decent usb keyboard. I figure with 2GB of Ram I should be able to install and hold in memory, at least 2000 of them. maybe more! Still, with no special sound system, it does sound pretty good. I can shake the house with the Bass notes pretty good! LOL!! It will give you that empty stomach, uneasy queasy feeling real easy!

I'm going to get to play the real Theater organ at the Fox Theater again, and I've been practicing. Should be interesting to get a comparison to the computer generated pipes. You don't really need much of a computer to run it as it will work with a high end P-III. It's just the storage and retrieval of the individual Pipe sounds will be a lot better on this! Still I am getting there! LOL!! Old and getting slower! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

PDF downloads aren't slow, the Gigabyte website is slow...

20. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

big balls there sam, i saw my rear when my 4300 hit 72c in orthos and i turned it off. i didnt get any throttling tho, did you?

i did some reading about the 4xxx cores not long after that and there seems to be different tjunction temps with some at 105 and others on 85. so your 78 could infact be 58? just a thought but dont take it as gosple till you can prove it you know.

are the e3110s 45nm? use realtemp if they are, http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2809778 this is the source. they have a lower tj than is being read.

edit
    yea sam mine does start at a lower vcore.