1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

EDIT, forum error! Please delete!

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Pea,

for nvidia chipsets a good buddy of mine swears by EVGA 680i mobos. he hasn't tried a P35, X38 or X48 yet to my knowledge but did have and like the 975X chipset (not as much however as the 680i since he uses nvidia GPU's in SLI). he's gonna try a X48 one of these days.

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Wow, I gues you gotta' be devoted. I had the worse experiences with nVidia 680i more then any of the nVidia and just as equally bad for the actual AMD counterpart. Like I said in my previous post, it had more to do with it just being a bad chipset from the get go, and never really getting a reliable BIOS (speaking as of 2months ago, maybe they got it together now). And not to mention among then many overclockers forums, Evga had lots of reported RMA's for each the 680i, and AMD-SLI. Notice as of last year in this month, DFI dropped it from their line up. ASUS has probably done the best to keep 680i going but it's not perfect. Not to say some didnt get a lucky one. But in my overclocking experience, and remember, I OC for daily stability as well as test for endurance, the !975X passed it up in many areas especially FSB. Believe me, I was trying to like it, it offered cool features, but if I had to revert back to a 590! and 590-SLI just to regain stability and overclockability, then I cant ignore that.

I'm not a fan boi, nor am I a gamer, or benchmarker. So I realize if you must or want SLI, then you try to look for the best of its offerings. 680 just wasn't it. Mayby only for the benchmarkers for scoring braggin' points. When it did work RAM bandwidth was good.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    The TJMax for an E4300 is 85! That's what both mine and Gina's read!

You all can yack till the cows come home, but no air cooler is going to drop 30C from core temps to CPU temp. I repeat, that heat has to go somewhere. If the 42C is accurate and the cores are at 72C, then where's all that heat going. It would have to be removed by the cooler, through the CPU's heat shield, so where is it? Did you look under the bed! LOL!! maybe it's on a vacation to the Arctic to cool down! ROFLMAO!! If I get proven wrong I will concede! None of the programs you are using have X38 chipset support yet. Everest only supports the P35/G35 at the moment, so I'm 99.9% positive that those temps are wrong!

Respectfully,
    Russ

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Talking about CPU coolers, there is a new king for bang for the buck.

http://www.directron.com/rvt12025.html

All the reviews put the performance really close to TRUE and it even comes with a fan!

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yeah I am a fan of nVidia chipsets, mostly for the reason that I am a gamer and that means SLI is the defacto dual video card setup. But I also think that,albeit some bugs, they continue to out inovate the competition.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Unless you have a crap load of money, SLI is kinda useless. Go for a majority of gamers, they shouldn't have to put up with Nvidia chipsets. From what I've seen Nvidia chipsets aren't as good as the Intel ones for performance purposes.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Nope, same company different branding. The kingwin is cheaper because of different packaging, but the product is the same(not sure about the fan, that might be different too). Anyway it's the same thing, but not quite a ripoff.

You also have to consider that you don't have to Lap this and you have to Lap the TRUE. So for 30 dollars and coming close to the performance of TRUE(55 dollars without a fan) it's pretty damn good.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

abuzar,

that is a good looking hsf and at a darn good price too. btw where did you get your info obout how it compares to the TRUE.

FYI, the TRUE does not have to be lapped but lapping will improve it's performance 4-6c on average. lapping will improve any heatsinks performance but is not a must. I RMA'ed my TRUE because it had a pit in the cpu mating surface (defect). I decided since I had to remove it anyway, I might as well have one that was lapped. the retailer I ordered it from didn't lap them so I ordered a lapped one from a different retailer that did. I'll more than likely just get a replacement instead of a credit for the one I RMA'ed since it was more than 30 days old.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah you don't have to Lap it but the base is Concave on the TRUE. On the performance, it's just what I've read on other forums with people who have owned both. Also I saw a review on Frosty Tech(I think) that put the Xigmatech better performing than the TRUE. Of course the fan was a little slower on the TRUE, so I'm assuming with the same fans the TRUE would outperform it a little bit, but not by much.

EDIT: Also reference this:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179992

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I agree except for the base. I can't tell if it's plated or aluminum. If it's plated copper, then why plate it? You would get better heat transfer with just plain copper. The cooler, while it seem to be decent, is just a more inexpensive way to make a 3 heatpipe cooler, and nothing more. The down side is that it would be even better if it had a base. more like the AF7, or at least some sort of bond for the top of the base. Lots of air space in those slots! The fan is also a 3 bladed design, which usually are noisy and inefficient, hence the high dBA ratings. 3 blade designs tend to have more balance problems than 7 and 9 blade designs and tend to vibrate a bit more because of that. Still. it seems to do a pretty good job My educated guess is that it won't do as well at lower speeds, so you will have to put up with a lot of noise. We'll see as soon as someone buys and installs one. It's funny how the performance in tests like Anandtech and Tom's do, doesn't always work so well in real life, especially when the tests are run at 74F like one of many I looked at today. Up that room temp to a realistic 78 to 80F or so and the performance might well not be there! Just my thoughts!

Thought for the day! There are only 3 kinds of people in the world; those that can count and those that can't! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, the base doesn't matter because the copper heatpipes directly touch the IHS.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I really hate to disagree, but yes it does. You only have those 3 copper strips and the upper part to remove heat. All those tiny air gaps between the two matter as air is not a very good conductor of heat. That's why we lap ours so the surface is smooth and flat. That's why Mort's Thermalright didn't cool as well as it should and it only had a tiny imperfection in the surface! That's why he returned it and bought a lapped one! I would for sure use Creamique or MX-2 when installing it as they would better fill those tiny gaps. Especially the Ceramique as it's on the thick side and should squeeze in there nicely! I wouldn't use AS5 though as it doesn't spread out as well. buy one, try it and if it's too noisy, or doesn't cool that well with your OC, you can always sell it! You seem to be good at that! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

That doesn't look that good at all but reviews never lie!

16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

that xigamte is the new f7p, but it has already been beat by ocz. its the same basic desgin but the fins have dimples pressed into them which increases the surface area and its cooling ability.

the direct heat pipe contact is the future of air cooling im sure as it does yeild very good results, as for the gaps, well im sure it would be better if it was a solid flat base for contact but at the same time it doesnt seem to be needed.

edit

those looking at the nvidia chipset want to look at xfx, their new deal with them means they now seem to be getting the choice ic.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I really am thinking about it. You just never know, I might end up selling My CPU, cooler, and Motherboard and buy this cooler, a new Q6600, and a P5E.

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

why you selling your old Q6600?

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I tend to stay with what I find works! I've been using the Arctics for about a little over 2 years. Replaced the Zalman 9500 with it. Better cooler and much quieter! At least in my last 2 cases! What CPU you have now. I can't keep up with all the changes you make. LOL!! Anyway, if you do get one of those Kingwins, let us all know how good it is.

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I have a Q6600 and it doesn't overclock that well. I pulled it down to 3.2 because at 1.5v that's all it will be stable it. Some guy is interested in my CPU and motherboard. Hopefully I can sell the Freezer 7 Pro to him too.

God, this is like an unending cycle.