1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The good old ebay trick... If it doesn't overclock, ebay it!

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah pretty much.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yeah, i dont get why ebay sells non OCed item for higher prices

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I know what you mean. Imagine what it was like 18-19 years ago when prices were outrageous. $400 to $500 for a 1024x768 non-interlaced monitor! LOL!! memory got as high as $100 per MB in the early 90s! And it was much slower than today.

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

hell last year you could get PC6400 2X1GB for about £150, now for £30!

time move, technology moves, newer tech is expensive, craper tech get cheaper....rinse and repeat

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I should know - i've bought it at both prices!

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Memory must be cheaper this side of the pond. I just paid $94 with a $40 MIR for my 1066 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 Dominators!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's only £45 here, so about $90...

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

infact, thats with VAT, we are cheaper w.o

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

I look at something as it costs to get to my hot little hands!! We have taxes as well as all other countries out there. ;) I don't like MIR but hey they save you money if you get them. The only ones that I've missed are the ones that I haven't sent in on time. I've only done that twice. The last was with OCZ Memory. lol. I thought that I had three (3) weeks but it was 12 days..... Misread the directions. Well pooh!! lol

I've compared the prices from the US and the UK!! AND to my surprise they are normally pretty close BUT your VAT does get in the way and I don't think that I've ever seen and MIR from the UK sites. I'm sure there may be some but I haven't seen it. ;)

....gm

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

hey pinksman xD

nop, never is any MIRs here, and 17.5% VAT is a killer, esp when you order alto of items as we get taxed AFTER shipping is added aswell (normally above £50 with quite a few items)

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    I've had very good luck with rebates. the only one I never got was for my electric scooter that I bought on a rebate deal from Pep Boys. $90 is a lot to loose and I'm not letting them get away with it. I've worked my way through lower management and I have an appointment with the regional Manager in 2 weeks. Their attitude is that it's the rebate outfits problem. I told them, I don't think so as they didn't sell it to me with the promise of the rebate and that it's Pep Boys responsibility to see that that agreement is honored! I have a lot of Attorneys who buy computers from me so I get a good bit of help for free. The Corsair Domminator rebate went in the mail on Thursday! LOL!! That's through Newegg, so it should be no problem.

On the same subject, I read a lot of times that people wait to send in the rebate, so if something goes wrong they can exchange it where they bought it. Most companies do the same thing so I don't get it. Every time I ever had to send something back to a Manufacturer, it was maybe an extra day difference, tops!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Exactly. The concept is there, but better if the pipe was bigger and or spaced closer together. Or berrter yet, 2 big pipes directly to CPU die as in mobile cooling. I'm sure as is, it will beat the Freezer Pro but not likely gonna even touch the origional ThermalRight 120 or newer ultra 90 Extreme.

Lol! and they never say anything on TV that isn't true. Hehe.

If this new cooler was to utilize a ThermalRight style design and essentially remove the lower plate to mate directly to CPU IHS, it mihg actually be prett great. 5x 8mm flat pipes to IHS.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah, but we are talking about USER reviews, not paid advertising reviews.

15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

"USER reviews", sometimes even worse, as often they are heavily influenced by personal experienced, may it be bad to user error or good. And dont think for a minute that those big review sites arn't influenced by the gifts they get to show off a product. ASUS and Intel are good for that.

One has to take them with a grain of salt and use as general refference. Wvwn big named Lab reviewer dont even pcompletely push a product like we do in OC reality, ie: a mobo along w/ a CPU for FSB and or volts as we often want to know. I find many where you have to dig hard to see the real vcore used. Good example is the BE AM2 6400+ wich many show can do only or now more then 3.5 on air, but at only 1.5v. go 1.6 and you can easily get 3.6 on air with that, speaking personally and for many others.

16. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

What voltage would I need to overclock my Q6600 to 3.1 or 3.2 GHz?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

MIRs are illegal in the UK so that's why you don't see them - only banks are allowed to temporarily take hold of people's money in that way IIRC.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Core 2 Kid, even with a G0 stepping CPU, if you're not very lucky you will need voltage above 1.4v, maybe up to 1.5 depending on your CPU.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1.5 tends to be the level people say is required for 3.6Ghz. 1.4 tends to get people in the 3.2 ballpark. I wouldn't necessarily judge all the 6600s based on your experience, Abuzar.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It's the best info I have to go by. Plus I did say above 1.4v, I didn't say just crank it up to 1.5 for 3.2ghz.