1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

and heavens, you have. That's pretty much FX-55 speed, and without any modifications other than FSB!
    Nice work.

2. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

Well no offece but I can't see that being much of an overclock guys, I run an AMD 3000+ Skt-754 Newcastle core and it can be happily overclocked to 2.5GHz with the stock speed of 2.0GHz, that's a 25% boost. I'm currently only running at 2.0GHz, but the only reason for that is I was given some extra RAM and it's very cheap stuff which makes the pc unstable.

With the 512mb Kingston RAM I have that I was only using I got it clocked stable at 2.5GHz and the only reason I couldn't clock it more is because my motherboard only allows me to clock it to that.

To be able to get more out of you CPU don't forget that decent cooling is essential, as the more youi push it the warmer it gets. I also recommend pushing it's stock voltage up a fraction of a volt to give it enough power to be able to handle the extra processing.

Memory clock can also give your pc that little bit more of a boost, but just be careful about what you play with, I clocked my ram up from 266 to 400 with a press of a couple of buttons and almost busted my pc (this being due again to the cheap ram that is currently residing inside my case).

Another helpful thing is clocking your GPU and to do this with Nvidia just download any of the modified drivers as they have built in overclocking abilities (right click and select your monitor at the desktop and look in one of the menus).

3. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

@ sammorris,Matching the FX-55 was my intended goal.I have been considering the A/64 4000+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104257 appears to be the last possible candidate for the 754 m/b but for the price maybe I should take the S939 plunge.What would you suggest?

@InvGir,No offence taken. The 3400+ from what I 've been led to believe is not much of an over clocker to begin with and as far as voltages etc.. they all remain stock.I have used the Nvidia gpu oc utility but it is set to auto.Cooling appears to be just fine as the cpu has never exceeded 45c even after a half hour of Halo at 1280x1024.

As I noted previously,I am not an avid overclocker simply doing some hopefully non destructive experimentation.
    All your suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2006
  4. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

Yeah, that's what I started off doing when I did it, I then slowley pushed more out of it etc...untill i got this new ram which makes everything destructive heh.

I think the highest temps I was getting was like 47c which suprises me due to the fact I have a £15 cooler on the CPU. I never saw much improvment with the overclocking of my CPU, but I think it was bottle necking on the mainboard and that reduced the power, as I have a fairly cheap motherboard.

5. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

I too am wondering if the m/b could be holding me back,this is the third board now(none broken just trying to improve) and they all have been with the nforce 250 chipset.

Question, How do I go about unlocking the pipelines on my video card?

6. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

Well I'd sujest the latest Nforce boards, the Nforce4, but I don't know if you can get them for the Skt-754 chips.

As far as I know the 6600GT has all of it's 8 pipelines unlocked and doesn't hold any more. My 6200 is one of few versions of the 6200 that was made with the 6600 chipset and so instead of having the 6200 4 pipelines it has the 6600 8 pipelines but 4 were locked.

I unlocked them by using RviaTuner which is available most places www.guru3d.com is a good place to get it and other tweaking tools.

If there are unlockable pipelines go here http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache...ipelines+on+a+6600gt&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=5 (a quick google soon puts weary heads at rest, along with calming the inquisative minds :))

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Are you kidding? 30% is ample, I'm amazed he got that much, especially without any voltage modifications (which, as has been subtly hinted, will see a further performance boost)

This is done by what is known as BIOS flashing. By changing the graphics BIOS you can run software that allows the card to run with all its physical data lines active.

Hey, you're one up on me, I haven't started yet!
    I'm running a £10 cooler with arctic alumina that I obviously haven't applied very well, and the cheapest RAM out there, so atm I'm not going to bother, it won't be worth it.

8. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

Hehehe, nice, I'm using unbranded thermal paste which ran out whilst applying, so had to be really mean with it...I'm sure there are some gaps in it :/ an Arctic LED cooler, some expencive ram mixed with cheapo ram, and of course the healthy dolop of hope (that it wont break as I cant afford that).

9. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

@ sammorris,Did you get a chance to check out that link for the 4000+,I would really appreciate your thoughts.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104257

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I did, and great as the 4000+ is, with that sort of power, you may as well up to 939.

11. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

I'd personally say go for 939, and the 4400+ (if you go to X2). OR 939 and Opteron if you wish to overclock and stay single core (can go X2, but costs a lot).

Skt 754 is not as powerful as the 939s and is far less future useable. Soon AMD are releasing their new Skts and so also 939 will become cheaper and less useable, and 754 will be rejected almost completely like Skt-A.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Only 2500? What about the Overclockers Quad SLi then? That's £4300!

Ideally, you're after going Socket 939 with an X2 processor, maybe 3800, maybe 4200, depends on your budget. I'd avoid single core with 939, you might as well stick with 754 if that's all you can manage.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Edit: double post - bad connection

14. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

That is more than likely what I'll end up doing(S939). Speaking of socket A I just finished putting together a system for the Mrs. I had an old Abit KV-7 board and XP3000+ Barton lying around.Stuck a single Corsair xms 512 ddr 400 in it. It runs circles around her old H-P Celeron 733! But I just can't seem to get it to run one of her favorite games...Keeps re-booting. The wierd thing is the game played fine on the old HP. Go figure!

15. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

Well my brother build a rather tastey rig for about £1500. I plan on getting this...

[​IMG]

The yellow ones are the parts I;m unsure as to whichI would want to get. Unfourtunatly though I have no money at the moment and will be going to Uni at the end of the year, so won't be able to build this rig, but will get an Asus A7Jc laptop (most likely) aswell as an external HDD to go with it (seems a fairly powerful laptop for the price aswell as being a 17" widescreen display which is what I'm after).

16. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

I'll take a look a little later, got to run off to work now!

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds like you and I have something in common.
    That system would be good with the Opteron 170, but avoid anything with the silenx fan, especially if you're after a quiet PC, it's false advertising, they're about 30dB, you can get far quieter. Fortunately my mate who bought one got his money back for it. Believe it or not on a forum, a silenx techie mentioned something about something or other, and two other users came along saying "I've got a silenx such and such and it's brilliant!" etc. and they were from the same IP address as the silenx tech support rep.
    A corrupt company, and I don't like corrupt companies.
    Anyway the upshot of that is that your Water cooling system will not only be a waste of time and money (like all water cooling setups) but will also not be quiet.

18. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Well Guys I've been doing some window shopping and it appears at least for now that these two items should get me started on the right path.
    cpu-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562

M/b-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131541

I do realize there is no pci-e slot on the board but this will allow me to save a few bucks by using my existing card for now and the board can always be replaced when my budget allows.

Total cost with shipping $372.00 If anyone knows of a better deal in the U.S. please let me know.

Oh and yes...opinions and comments are welcome!

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's good, but better still there's an asus motherboard out there that has them both. Can't remember where it was though.

20. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Hi sammorris,Yes I spotted that board last night also but it has a couple draw backs.That board is matx form factor,has only two ram slots and the fsb is limited to only 1600 mhz. I also had my eyes on the A/64 x2 4200+ it's only $100 more but out of my reach financialy at the moment.