1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. im1992

im1992 Regular member

thanks for the information
    i really appreciate it!

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

My board is not the P35 but my chipset IS the P35. Is there any mods I could do to the board? I will be picking up another fan for myself. Whats your recommendation? $40 or below please.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@mort81

Thanks for catching that mistake. Will change it now to avoid confusion for any other readers.

@im1992

No problem, glad to help. Also I can post all the BIOS settings I used if you want.

5. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

6. im1992

im1992 Regular member

that would be awesome if you could do that!
    -thanks

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The graphite lowers the resistance of the resistor I believe. I would suggest that you find the exact place and pencil it in. I don't know what happens when you do it to the wrong place. Most of the times nothing happens, but there is potential to screw something up. So find the right spot and then do it. If something doesn't match up then don't try it. Pencil it a lot, a little bit wont do anything.

That's the correct mod for YOUR board. It says it works with all kinds of P5K motherboards.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

BTW I tried the vdroop mod for my board(GA-P35-DS3R Rev2) and my voltage usually dropped .03v from idle to load, but after penciling it in it only drops .01 AT MOST, usually I have no vdroop.

Also to be noted is that conductive ink or solder is recommended for this mod, they say pencil doesn't quite work as good. So if I use conductive pen or solder I'm pretty much guaranteed 0 vdroop. I think it's time to bust out the soldering iron.

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

ASUS P5K Deluxe/Premium, P5E/E3 Deluxe/Premium, ROG Maximus/Rampage Formula all have Loadline Cal to my personal experience. It was never stated that it levels out the CMOS v/s actual, just actual loade line (vdroop. Most ASUS regulars know by know they tend yto need more setting v/s read out and yet tend to overvolt the rest of the mobo.

Interesting, on the review you mention. Maybe it has something to do with x48 and certain 45n, cause I can speak from personal experience with several CPU core 2's that enabled for over 1 yr + that it is fine and 3 w/ nominal raised vcores to 1.48v. Same is said for high PLL, yet I ran these same CPU's to 1.632 1.5 yrs on E6600/Q6600 and 10 months for 2 E6750's.

P35 "chipset" ye that's what I meant. I did hear a lot of ASUS P35 (chipst) user w/o Loadline using the pencle mod. I cant think of any ASUS P35 based mobo for $40.00 or less. maybe a Gigabyte. Some of our other helpfull members may know more in the Gigabyte entr level offerings.

EDIE: vmods, I forgot to mention, soldering mod is better, but is harder to get rid of if you need to RMA as it can void your warrenty. Pencil mod can be removed neatly. just use soft lead and a steady trace of it. If over time it wears down, just add more.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Who has found a good vdroop mod for the P35C-DS3R? is it the same fo rthe X38-DQ6? The vdroop on these is easily upto +0.06v at certain FSB over 500mHz.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I think the vdroop mod for the GA-P35C-DS3R is the same as my boards. Why don't you try it out?

[​IMG]

Note: The circuitry in my board is not EXACTLY like the one in the pic, but it's close. I still found that part you had to shade in, and it worked! So if it's a little different, don't worry. If you can find the area marked then just try penciling it. Worst comes to worst all you have to do is take the graphite off with the eraser.

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Cool, thankx for the pic. It looks like if I can nip the vdroop in the bud, and retire an extra E6750 to this boi, it is actually gonna make a good HTPC secondary rig.

Can any of you Gigabyte P35(any version) confirm the actual or read out voltages for each FSB9(VTT) PCI-E and MCH as used when set to each of +1,+2, & +3? If I remeber, +0.3 equaled almost 1.55 on NB More then I needed for 500FSB in 1:1 w/ DDR2000 or DDR1800 on divider. Also vdimm is out of wack from DDR2 to DDR3. Hard to get it to stay around 2.22v. 8 months ago, Everest wasnt reading out for this mobo so I had no NB, or SB or other then vdimm as recent as v4.20.xx last year.

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Kiss goodbye to the board if you start to bridge it with solder!

People should also try to research what what vdroop is before trying to correct it, it is built in 'as per Intel design' for a reason (a pretty obvious one at that)when you've looked it up you may reconsider doing it.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well other people have done it without any adverse effects. Maybe conductive ink then?

14. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Can anybody take a picture of the whole board with the area where the vdroop mod goes circled? Im having a hard time figuring out where the zoomed in picture of the board is located.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Look around the CPU socket and find a chip labeled korea.

16. homesick

homesick Regular member

i looked around but didnt see any stickys for beginners, can anyone point me in the right direction?

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Go down to the corner stop light and make a right.... there you are where ever you are. LOL.

Right direction in what??

IF it's OC'in then post your specs and such. That'll help us determine where you need to go. ;)

...gm

18. homesick

homesick Regular member

ok AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 6400+ 3.21 Ghz
    2 gb dual channel mem cas lat of 3
    FSB 1000MHz HyperTransport
    North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 6100 /nForce 405 chipset
    400watt psu. not that great i know
    msi Model K9N6SGM-V mb
    bought a barebones off newegg.
    secondly i should add i am not looking to go all out, i just want to bump it up a lil. i want to play it as safe as possible, without staying the same :)

19. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i didnt have to touch mine to get 500fsb and +1 gets me 535 which is when my ram falls over (dam 2gb stix) but i will check next time i have mine open. do you know where i can read them on mine?

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

It may not be the best OC'n board out there, but for being an ASUS, it's gonna' give you a few decent options. The 6400+ as I mention (the BE edition for mine) can OC, but not w/o some vcore and cooling. Add a good cooler like the ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme, 1/4 the cost most will drop for a 2nd video card or equal to a new game, and you can at least get the CPU up if only on the high 16x with decent RAM and HTT. I'd guess 3.4GHz easy at around 1.472v (actual). It can go further w/ that cooler, but at least you get the balance of cool & quiet.

Wow, I had to use +0.2 to keep it stable and w/ added mosfet cooling for daily 485x8 @ 5:6(3.88GHz/DDR1165) Also using Intel SATA Raid 0 so SB needed more stability at increased PCIE. I dont know yet where to read but I do have some research to go through and can let you know as for the vcore/vdimm/and such. I thought maybe some of it is detected by Everest now.