1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

but the bios has to be able to read it & as that board is about 6yrs old then is unlikely.

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Heres how it goes. You want to play NFS PS.
    Your motherboard only supports a 400MHz Bus. Even if there was a pin mod, the motherboard would be unable to see the increase in bus. Your RAM is OK, it is slow but will do. Your video card is useless if you want to play games. Your slot is also outdated. AGP 8x is what you want to play games, your slot is only a 4x. To do a decent upgrade, get a socket 775 motherboard with PCI-E, socket 775 CPU and DDR2 RAM. Also if you can afford it get a PCI-E graphics card. If you cannot then look for a motherboard that has integrated graphics but any motherboard that has integrated graphics sacrifices overclocking capabilities.

3. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not only will it suffer from overclocking but it'll also be dump at pro Street. Dedicated PCI-e graphics are the only realistic option here.

Shall we say:
    E2140
    GA-P31-DS3L
    HD2600XT
    ?

5. ddp

depends on whether sleepy sleeps on it or wakes up to the fact that to play that game he needs to upgrade or buy a new system.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. To be fair though we fed him a few false promises I think...

7. im1992

im1992 Regular member

coming back to my point, getting a new computer......

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Motherboard, chipset + BIOS, DRAM, GPU + VDRAM, then CPU, APU, & RAID set & so on. Invest here in this order and any CPU you put in is gonna do as good as it can. So get a budget OC'r and you now have the best performance to the dollar options. I'm sure many of you know what it feels like to have an expensive CPU on a cheap mobo only to be held back to a point. Afterall, the entire gaming system is only as strong as the back bone it stands on.

"Clockin' It Forward"

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  9. ddp

NuckNFuts, your color blue won't work as site is not setup for any color except red.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

kinda curious here guys. what advantage do you get when you OC your GPU? im not into the gameing as alot are would it benafit me to OC my GPU? (EVGA 7600gt) also does it matter on the OC what kinda monitor you have? i still have the $5 13in crt monitor i bought from goodwill..lol

11. im1992

im1992 Regular member

I personally wouldn't bother unless you overclock it a huge amount. If you aren't into gaming then there would be no point in overclocking at all. But if you still feel like doing it, i would suggest taking off the stock heatsink and replacing the stock thermal paste with some AS5 or replacing the stock heatsink/fan altogether. No, frame rate are not affected by the monitor you are using with your computer but it will ofcourse look crappy to your eyes.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Rob, the advantage we get is a few more frames per second to make the games look smoother.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

so then there is no need for me to worry about that then..lol
    dont need much frame rate burning movies..lol

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

by overclocking, you can get the same performance as a more expensive cpu (usually at a fraction of the cost). OC'ing not only helps with gaming but it also improves encoding time if you're into video encoding/transcoding.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

im1992, not many people take off the thermal paste and replace it on their graphics card.

Mort, Rob was talking about GPUs. He knows all about CPUs(or how horrible it can be sometimes!).

Just trying to clear up some stuff. People also OC their graphics card to get braggin rights on 3DMark06.

16. im1992

im1992 Regular member

yes, you are correct

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Overclocking GPUs does earn bragging rights in 3dmark, but with my X1900 it actually yielded a performance benefit significant enough to be worth doing, over 10%. With the HD3870 it yields no performance boost whatsoever though, so not really worth the trouble.

The big bragging rights right now in 3dmark are Quad core CPUs though, they typically gain 2000-4000 extra marks over a dual core, and actually provide a performance boost in a very small number of games currently.

18. sleepy_92

sleepy_92 Regular member

Some qustions about new mob:
    1)Do i need to buy new ram and othr thing i have on my pc?
    2)Will it incres cpu speed?
    3)Ill still need to buy cpu??

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You will need:
    Motherboard
    CPU
    RAM
    Graphics card
    Power supply

and probably a case as well as the old one probs won't cool the new parts sufficiently.

In short, you need an entire new PC except the hard disk and perhaps the DVD drive.

20. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

1. Yes unless your new motherboard supports DDR RAM, which is highly unlikely
    2. It will increase your CPU speed if you get a new CPU. Remember that newer CPU's such as the Core2Duo's are only 1.86 GHz but fast as hell because of the archetecture and the fact that its a dual core.
    3. Yes, Unless you can somehow overclock yours to a very high number which is highly unlikely.