1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Not nessisarily all those things, depending on how good your power supply is and how big your case is. When I rebuilt my Celeron D to a Quad all I had to replace was the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Video card. I also replaced the power supply because I wanted to have the other computer in use also and I had a spare case in the house to do so.
    1. How big is your power supply and what brand is it?
    2. Your new parts may fit into your old case, depending on what size motherboard is inside and how big the case is. Its worth a try I guess, if it doesn't fit then your can later go out and buy another case.
    3. Did you try running the NFS PS demo on your current computer? Did it not run at all or did it run at minimum settings?

2. sleepy_92

sleepy_92 Regular member

1. I have no idea what power supply i have right now :D
    2. The case is like 20 centimeters i dont know about the motherboard but when i changed ram i looked at mob and it was kind a huge :D
    3. Tommorow ill try to run it on my pc

EDITED not 30 centimeters but 20 lol

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

His board supports DDR RAM, but it will only support lower FSB CPUs which will still need overclocking even to make the 2.8Ghz grade and will run pro street very poorly. I GUARANTEE he will have an insufficient GPU and PSU as PCs back then always did, I never saw a PC come with a stock power supply more than 250W older than a couple of years.

4. sleepy_92

sleepy_92 Regular member

sammorris iff you would see our school pc's you would lough! :D:D:D:D

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The PCs at my secondary school (they were when I was there and still are now) are a reasonable spec, 2.4G P4s or 3000+ Semprons, and they only use 150W PSUs... That's all that's needed for a PC that doesn't play games.

6. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Our school has:
    Core2Duo's in the Writing Center (Word Processing Only)
    Pentium 4's 1.8 with 256 RAM in the Programming room (Doesn't work out well)
    Pentium 3's in the 2nd Writing Center (Word Processing Only)

All these are Dell Computers.

I just don't get why they don't switch around the 1st Writing Center and the Programing Room around, that'd make sense.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Writing center probably gets a higher budget, sadly.

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Please share how! I have used each a low end card for testing and replaced with near top end card and can't recall a difference in videa teanscoding or just encoding. I would like to test my old bench tester 6600GT to see if it can gain anything. If so then I'd be interested in fiddling with the 7950 & 8800GT's I have here. Just for the record, what kind of imorivement are we talking? Can you share an example with GPU modle and type of video w/ times?

Thanx!

EDIT: Can the firmware be flashed on these Graphics cards just like the old one? I have a 2nd PNY 6600GT and it is not working great on it's own when after installing drive (last of the 9x.xx series). If I do install it, and try to open anything like an AVI in a media player, it craps out and system crashes. This of corse was on an AMD rig, then. On an Intel it just crashes the app and if it is still locked up sometimes I had to restart.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Nuck,

I was mistaken. I though they were talking about OC'ing the CPU. my bad.

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Sorry, I'm not sure if you got my POST. I did point all that out as to what option you chose. New or used mobo like ASUS P4P800 9same socket as yous) NO everything the same. New or used mobo like Abit IP35 Pro (latest LGA775 on P35 chipset), YES, you may need everything new except for mayby one or the other of IDE HDD or Optical drive. Very few low end mobos offer 2 or more PCI 32bit to use IDE DVD and HDD on sepperate controllers (shareing same controller will slug your gaming and most intence app). Some mobo like ASUS can run fine on the old PSU of 350W on 20pin, but will not allow much of any room for overclocking.

That AMD outfit is coming with everything you need for $200.00 but it is by far not the best gaming set up and you will want to change the mobo and GP as soon as you can afford it. followed by everything else I mentioned in that order. You're asking about gaming, much more expensive, the cost in the end will be big, but it can be spread out over short time. Think of it like a GAME Plan.

Well most likely because programming requires so little CPU it can just the same be switched to the P3 and be fine.

@Mort81, No prob.

@ the Gaming bois, Since we're speaking GAMING, we should be thinking RAID, You can RAID w/ IDE, best to use PATA133. But todays Intel onboard ICHR controllers are much faster then older PCI (low priced) cards on IDE/PATA. So that means 2 new SATAII. RAID 0 lets you get the most from your HDD and best in gaming if rendoring from virtual image drive directly from HDD, not CD/DVD. The overall gameing experience is so much faster from boot up to OS, loading and chaptering.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's interesting. I found the exact opposite. RAID's great for transfer speeds, but lots of small files are often in game dirs (UT2004, RCT3 being big culprits) and that's where RAID falls apart. Personally there's no substitute for a fast hard disk. I only recommend RAID for large redundant arrays nowadays.

12. 1234aaron

1234aaron Regular member

Hi, can anyone help me on how to Ocerclock an ACER Aspire SA10
    With a Intel Celeron D 2.80 Ghz.
    Also is there a program that can turn of the overcloking if the CPu goes over the recomended temp for my CPU
    thx

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You probably can't overclock it as Acer locks down the BIOS to prevent OCing.

14. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i found striping my spinpoints was much faster for me when gaming too, but i also found it was quite easy to loose all my data.

hey pros and cons i guess, im looking into a 3rd drive for backups so i can do it again tho as i would rather always be the first to get into the new map, even if its just for bragging rights :D

fyi the games were bf2/2142 cod2 cs:s ins c+c3 plus a few other more boring games.

15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

RAID 0+1 in a 3 drive is cool (HDD's: 2x striped + 1x divided by 2 mirrored) on new Intel Matrix RAID. A 4 disc is better for spd and perdormance. But 1 single HDD equal to the amount of the 2 RAID 0's can be used.

Many are moving to 3+ disc RAID 0 (up to 6 on average) for better numbers but I haven't moved there yet. I am happy w/ the classic 4 matched disc RAID 0+1

16. im1992

im1992 Regular member

because writing is very important!
    *cough* NOT *cough*

17. sleepy_92

sleepy_92 Regular member

Ok iv tried to run pro street demo..But it showed some kind of error.
    And im starting to think like : what will change if i buy a new mob lol ill still need to get cpu and video card and + maybe i will need a new ram and other stuff like that!I dont have that kind of money lol im only 16 years old!In summer im going to work but im not going to waste all my money on mob ram video card and other stuff!Its easier to me to buy a video card and cpu.

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

@sleepy_92,

Well, it's back to what I said in the 1st place, Upgrade mobo underneeth what you have for better CPU oC and then GPU ASAP. used should be much cheaper opposed to new. I know other are thinking high end gaming. But the difference is being able to play it , then maybe play it better. I believe the ASUS P4P800 at $50.00 used will use anything you have now but give it a big improvement. later add a Prescott P4 2.8 for just under $40.00 on eBay or elsewhere. If you're lucky, may find an old AGP nVidia 6600GT of 128~256mb at around $40.00~$50.00 respectively.

recap; 50+40+40 = $130.00 Is that do-able for you? Keeping in mind it is and can be spread out over weeks or months. Whatever works for you. You can even go less on the CPU in a non Prescott, the older Northwood 512kb L2 cache for maybe $30.00 or less.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

so you're not going to 'waste' your money on something you WILL need. A waste of money will be buying a CPU that's not compatible with your existing PC.

Nuck makes some decent points, try and find some cheap second hand hardware to use.

20. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Lol! Thats what I say, You can't have a teacher teaching you programing at home but you CAN use the computers at home to type up stuff!