1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sleepy_92

sleepy_92 Regular member

Are you sure if i buy ASUS P4P800 i wouldn't need to change anything i have in my pc right now(like ram,hard drive,video card(i will change it but later) cpu(im going to change it too but after a while) and will it work on my pC?

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Yes it will but you will need to either reinstall the OS or do a repair on it.
    If your going to do a new build later why not save this $$ and put it towards the new build? Also if you want to play PS so much get it for a console if you have one. Its out on the PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii.

3. sleepy_92

sleepy_92 Regular member

I have an ps2 in summer im thinking to modify it to play back up games.
    Bye the way what is OS (operating system?) ?

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Windows, Mac OS or Linux, essentially. If you want the technical detail I'll give it to you.

5. im1992

im1992 Regular member

exactly, but unfortunately, the staff at school will probably have no idea what the diff. is between a Core 2 and a Pentium 4

Most ppl @ school have never heard of Core 2 and think that Pentium 4 is better than anything..... cause the "Pentium" has been around for a long time, maybe after four/five yrs, they will think the same of the Core 2 and by that time, ppl like us will be using Core 3 Octos' (Nehalem)...

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well do they? Intel seemed to introduce the Core 2 trademark to shed all the nasties about the association between Pentium and slow and AMD and fast. They later brought back the Pentium name as a lower end version of a core 2.

7. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Just buy the game for PS2 then, you'll probably end up spending less anyways rather than upgrading your PC so you can run NFS PS

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. I prefer racing games with a pad anyway.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I've been watching with a certain amount of amusement as a lot of people bash the AMDs as being complete rubbish. To begin with AMDs still do more work in less clock cycles than the Intels, and it's going to be that way until Intel moves their memory controller to the chip instead of the NB! Then maybe we'll have less heat problems as the NB can be moved to a better location on the MB, away from the CPU. The AMDs are not quite the "Slugs" people like Abuzar (sorry Boozer, I had to pick on someone! LOL!!) make them out to be, and they shouldn't be dismissed as such, as they are far from slow and still far better than any Pentium or Pentium D. The 64x2 4800+ I put in the AMD was pretty darn fast at 24,500 MIPS stock, and a better performer than the numbers would indicate. They just don't overclock as good as the C2Ds. Let me put it this way, If I had an AMD AM2 based Sempron that could be upgraded to a 64x2, I sure wouldn't throw it away. Spend $100 to $150 bucks or so on anything from a Windsor 5000+ to a Windsor 6400+ and you can walk away with a very nice game machine for cheap. You could even spend even less money for a Brisbane core and still have something more than adequate to do the job, although the lack of L2 cache on the Brisbane's does hurt a bit! That's why I bought the eMachine after looking it over carefully to see what was in it, for $80, and I'm still making money off of all the old parts from the D-940 so I actually made more money than I spent! ROFLMAO! So far I've made over $200 above what it all cost me and have a warranty until 07/09! LOL!! Not a bad deal if you can get it! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Umm, seems to me that Intels do more work in less clock cycles. The 3800+ X2 is 2Ghz while the E6300 is 1.83Ghz. Here is an example of what performs better. You can check out more benchmarks here:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2203597,00.asp

[​IMG]

11. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Ah, back to AMD vs Intel. Love these debates!

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What debate? If you want an absurdly cheap CPU get an AMD, if you're willing to pay any more than 50 dollars, you get an Intel chip. That's about all there is to it.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ABUZAR1,
    I'm not talking about FPS or benchmarks. Memory bandwidth, GPU and video memory have more to do with how high your FPS are than the CPU at a given speed. I was able to raise my 3DMark06 score from 2800+ to 4000 just by fattening up the memory bandwidth to 8200+MB/s at virtually the same MIPS! Sam commented that 4000 was a surprising score for my 7600GT! If you can fatten the memory bandwidth with the processor running the same MIPS, then you can increase your FPS at the same amount of MIPS. The memory pipelines are much shorter on the AMD so effectively, in the real world will do more work in less clock cycles as the delay is shorter in both read from and write to memory operations. That doesn't imply that they are faster, just faster than the synthetic benchmarks indicate they should be on a comparative basis, as it's just a more efficient way of doing things! The gap between the two technologies is wide, but not as wide as the synthetic numbers would indicate!

I may even buy an AMD Socket AM2 64x2 Windsor 5200+ for the AMD to take advantage of the 100% more L2 cache and use the 64x2 Brisbane 4800+ for an office machine. Russell wants to get AOE-III, so with the 5200+ and a decent but reasonably priced video card, it should work pretty good.

Remember I have the advantage of having both platforms here in the house to fool around with, so all comparisons are based on real world use. I have been very impressed with the performance of the AMD. It's much better than I had been led to believe, and far better than I had expected.

EDIT:
    Sam,
    I agree, there is no debate, it's just that comparing game performance to everything else you do with a computer to relate to it's overall performance is the wrong way to look at it. I never said the AMD was faster, only that in real world use it's better than I expected in real world use. Also, that $50 limit needs to be qualified. If you already have everything and have an AMD AM2 rig, then spending the $100 or so for the 5200+ Windsor is certainly worth it. If you are starting from scratch, the C2D is the way to go. You can't even build a the cheapest C2D for that money!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The AMD architecture remains the more intelligent design, unquestionably, but the lack of development to it (let's face it, the new 6400+es aren't exactly much different to the old X2s which weren't vastly different from the old A64s) has hurt its comparative performance.
    With regard to Age of Empires 3, remember not to max the detail! It's one of those games that doesn't run that badly on midrange gear, but if you turn up the settings, it struggles even on top end machines.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    See my edit above!

Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed, there's no sense changing platform if you already have all the gear needed except for the CPU. That probably would have stood for the Pentium D and Athlon X2 back in those days as well.

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i miss that thread :.(

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    Me Too! Far too much emphasis on gaming and video performance here today and far less on the overall performance of the computer! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All it was was a bitchfest. I don't miss in the slightest, and neither do the moderators I'm willing to bet.

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

& we like to keep it like that.