1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have my eyes set on exactly the same processor, and the same situation applies to me at present. However I'm hoping to make a full system out of it - £1200 worth. Wish me luck!

2. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Of course you have my very best wishes and thank you for your suggestions.Hopefully before too long we will both be getting something to truly brag about!

Now if I could only win the lottery.lol!

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, that would see me with the overclockers FX-60 crossfire solution and a 42" Plasma screen. But we live in the real world, and besides we've already had our fair share of winning for the past decade, we won a £600 TV, so that can't be argued with!

4. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

You have better luck than me,I have never won anything of significant value...perhaps my time is due!
    Either way and if all goes well, I should be able to purchase my new board and cpu within the next couple weeks.Maybe there will be a price decrease by then.

5. *agent47*

*agent47* Guest

help me out, whats the difference between a celeron processor (2.93ghz) and normal intel processor (3ghz)

what is better? y is celeron cheaper?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Celerons are cheap because they are basic, they run very slowly compared to the mhz speed they run at. P4s have more advanced technology and run faster for the same amount of mhz. However, AMD processors such as Athlon64s run faster still. Celerons are often stripped down versions of pentiums, and consequently a 3000mhz celeron is roughly equivalent to a 2600mhz P4, though this obviously varies depending on the task at hand.

Lol love the massive nVidia logo in your sig and yet you run an X850XT - nice choice.

7. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

possibly off topic but sam don't get the 42 inch plasma
    it's a; too big lol and b plasma
    get an lcd reflector the new ones don't scar when you are playing something fast (nfs underground )
    we bought a 42 inch lcd tv with a dvi socket and i couldn't wait to put the computer on it and have a go (had to wait til the wife went out) and the darn thing was too big

just my thoughts lol if i ever have enough spare cash i think i'll go for the 32 inch

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't know they made 42" LCDs, that would be preferable. 1920x1080 or 2560x1600?

9. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

sony wega and i'm not allowed to put the pc on it lol
    but it works the same as a moniter when i do

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, our 26" Aquos will accept up to a 1280x1024 input but the PCs up in my bedroom and the tv's down in the living room.

11. *agent47*

*agent47* Guest

oh ye my sig is nvidia but its all about the game - hitman contracts. believe it or not i only bought my x850xt graphics card just to play the new hitman 4 game - yet to be released

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fair enough, no problem with that, although really you should have waited to avoid wasting money.

13. Lancer68

Lancer68 Member

I'm trying to OC my new AMD Athlon XP2800+ and it's a nightmare. I had a Sempron 3000+ that OC'd beautifuly but everything I read said the 2800 was a better OC'r.I tried to read the old thread here concerning this but it didn't get me anywhere. What I'm wondering if there is someone here that is using the same cpu and mobo combo and has OC'd successfully. One thing to note and I dont know if it's important, the memory that is installed is a matched pair of Corsair XMS 512's, and one stick of XMS 512 that is not.(PC3200) And no, I'm not going 64 just yet, no need. I'm posting pics of my BIOS settings for OC'ing. Chinese to me.
    [​IMG]

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1536MB isn't a good combination of RAM to overclock with, you really want single or dual channel. It shouldn't stop you though.

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi guys,

I've got a quick question about a setting for my memory. I currently have the dram refresh rate set at 15.6 uSec but I read an article that said for memory modules 1 gb and larger the setting would be better at 7.8 uSec. BTW I have the dram idle timer set at infinite. My specs are in my sig. Any input? Thanks

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Having not heard about the setting before, I doubt it would make much difference, latency is where you're best focusing your ideas.

17. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

edit

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2006
  18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

OK i am new to overclocking and really dont know how to do it.

Motherboard
    MSI name: MS-6577M-ATX
    HP/Compaq name: Giovani2-GL6

Base processor
    Intel Celeron(P) 330 2.66 GHz:
    533 MHz front side bus
    Socket mPGA478

It is a celeron D. I searched but couldnt find a guide that helped me too much.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have a read through a few pages of this thread, we could repeat ourselves every time someone comes here otherwise.

20. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

If I plan to OC the AMD Athlon 64 4000+ will I have to modify the chip?

Thanks