1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Fry's Electronics local in store sale. They were normally $349.00 I think or maybe it was w/ the mobo. I got the retail box only, no mobo. Rare for them to "sale" them like that. I never use the mobos they through in anywayz.

I am barely running it today for the 1st time. It feels nice but just trying to get the feel of the vcore range. For basic tets run I'm at 425x8 in 1:1 @ 1.29 vcore and 1.616v PLL BIOS reports 4 cores averaged to 33c but everest keeps reporting 45con #4 and 55c on 1~3. It reported this since stock FSB (333) & vcore of 1.19v and same PLL. core Temp say the same. are they now updated still? I am on Everest Ultimate 4.50.1330. CoreTemp shows Tj Max to be 107c Is that right? Interesting!

Otherwise, gonna do some more shortly. It feels nice even if it isnt up to where my Q6600 was. Even under full load I can barelyt feel pipes at base of my TR120 get warm to tough and can barely tell from tips off top. Not bad in the heat dpt for sure.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    That's a guesstimate by CoreTemp! Intel wouldn't release the Tj Max so it's an educated guess on CoreTemp's part! LOL!! I read about this a while back. I thought I posted it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i thought it was 105?

best way to find out is let it heat up till it throttles itself, then you know exactly where your limits are.

edit

http://www.panopsys.com/Downloads.html

throttlewatch can show you.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Well, it's day 7 and got around to the FSB test and it looks to hit the wall at 455FSB but still working on settings. I have a newer BETA BIOS v0401 for the Rampage Formula to try and see if it helps. It appears to play fine w/ Ballistix Tracers on X48 dispite the bad rap it gets for X38/X48. I just dont really know the "quote" overclockers comfort zone for vcore. I ran it up to 1.448v while still on 450FSB and only hit 39c idle (4 cores averaged), but I am on first hrs of TIM break in. So far it seams to like 425x8 on 1.288v and much lower FSBT of 1.37v and CPU GTL ref of 63%.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I thought the tj-max for 45nm cpu's was 95c. that is what real temp reports for my E3110. core temp and everest report 105c.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I too thought it was 95, though I can't remember where I read that.

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sorry i didnt realise you had got one of the 45s i thought you was on about one of those in your sig.

yea it seems the 45s tJ is 95 from what they are saying.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I don't have a Fry's or Microcenter anywhere close. really sucks. they seem to have all the bargains. I can't even buy from microcenter online for a lot of their stuff :(

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    You have no idea how much better off and lucky you are! LOL!! I was standing in line to check out one time and noticed a guy standing there with what I was pretty sure was the same exact hard drive I had returned 20 minutes or so earlier because it was defective. I had all the paperwork on me and it turned out to be the same defective drive Fry's just threw back on the shelf without testing, and sold again! They do that all the time in Anaheim! Fry's gives new meaning to the words "Buyer Beware"! ROFL!! They also specialize in "Customer Indignity"! Exiting the store after you've checked out is known here in California as "The Final Indignation", as Security gives you a final going over before they let you out the door! They will physically prevent you from leaving the store until they decide you're "clean"!

If you think I'm kidding, read here, and try not to laugh too hard as it's both a tragedy and a comedy! ROFLMAO!!
    http://www.accesscom.com/~dave6592/frys.html

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

yes, my bad, tj- max is reporting 105c not 107. I did load test it to what Everest shows as 75c highest core and 70c low and it never throttled. It also didnt get anywhere near as warm at the base and end of heat pipes my Q6600 at 70c So my guess so far, is it;s not 75cI even lowered the fan to 800RPM and only went up 1c (I was only on 1200 before w/ 1600 highest) Sythe S-Flex. This is the recent Core Temp as of last month v0.98 as of 04-24-08.

About Fry's, our Bay area stores only peak in half lazy half the time so the can hurry unless the snooperviser is standing accross the walk. I had 3 bags full of items with 2 types of sales slips and the girl was able to see and check everything in 1 sec. Lol! One time they just waved OK as if they could tell as I was comeing toward the door like with x-ray vision. Pretty high tech.

I been going to Fry's since it was a back room shop and they still sold "white" labeled generic beer up front in the regular Fry's Market. Lol! Yup, they sodl food first then electronic stuff. I got my 1st DFI when it was a local plain white box, bottom shelf special.

11. navskin

navskin Regular member

hi i just got myself an artic cooler 64 pro, and i want to overclock my system from 2.2ghz to 2.5ghz would you recermend this on my system here is the all important specs.

AMD ATHALON DUAL CORE 4200+ @ 2.2GHZ
    ASROCK ALIVE-NF6G (P2.20 BIOS)
    NVIDIA 8600GT 512MB ddr 2 (i think)
    4GIGS DDR2 RAM 800mhz
    SATA DVD ROM
    IDE DVD RW (SONY)
    SEAGATE SATA 80GIG
    MAXTOR 80GIG IDE

so also can you tell me if i have somthing to work with or not.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You should be able to achieve something, but I'm not sure what overclocking features you'll have on that ASrock board.

13. navskin

navskin Regular member

14. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Cool, some activity again.

Anybody having any good luck w/ FSB OC on a 45nm quad? The 9450 or Q9550 to be more exact?

Thanx!

15. im1992

im1992 Regular member

by what I have heard, they go to 4ghz pretty easy!
    good luck

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I've heard you talk a lot about hard drive performance over the years and Maybe you can explain the differences between these two Sata drives!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The same WD drive seemingly performs better on the AMD than it does on mine. I'm just trying to understand why they are so different in performance?

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

... and then go pop. I know someone who's got one to 3.7Ghz, but on 1.5V, which I told him off about.

Russ: Different S-ATA chipsets have different performances.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I read where the 9450 should OC to around 3.7-3.75 but it's really pushing it to go much higher. haven't researched the OC capabilities of the 9550.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Your answer made perfect sense! Then I started looking around in my software collection and found an update for the SM Bus that I had forgotten to install! I installed it and both drives perform identically now! LOL!! I just had to believe that there couldn't be that much difference between the two of them. 15MB/s to me, is a lot of difference! Thanks for the help!

Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, sorry for the short response, I was busy at the time - but yeah, the software for the chipsets seems to have a lot to do with it.