1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

45nm Q9540,

Well this Q9450 is'nt doing much over 450FSB stable and w/ 8x that isn't much. Not to mention the stress to keep it there and little performance gain over a Q6600 at same FID and FSB. It needs what feels like too much FSBT and PLL to stay at 450FSB and while temps are fair, it just feels like a lot of work.

As for those 45nm in general hitting 4GHz, that isnt unusual, especially the QX w/ high and or unlocked FID since everybody is using highest possable multi to do it. Even 9x is a challange for any QX but doable for the E series duals. Like I said, it's not the vcore they seam to need, it's the PLL, and FSBT. I never had to go over 1.47v to try at 475FSB Yet to even boot, it needed 1.55v FSBT. It was also sensitive to high GTL_Ref and PLL. I had to lower to 1.632v PLL but w/ 63% GTL. And if on the P5E3 Premium with quad core (dual CPU_GTL) GTL I could reduce the 2nd set of GTL even lower and probably get more stable.

In testing, I find that YES, w/ creative use on trd and lower FSB overclocks, you can get the feel of high FSB OC's but it isnt all that big a real world feel. 1st off, the chipset has to be cranked up much more then would be just to up FSB (if CPUI can do it?) then forcing a trd of say 6 or 7 at lower of 400~425FSB I can get trd 8 at 480 and with much better real worl feel and even better ram scores in Everest with similar RAM spd.

Just some of my personal experiences so far.

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

Hi,
    Seems to me like sticking with 65nm is better cause I am running a e6300 (1.86ghz 65nm conroe) at 3ghz with 1.15v! Now thats what I call Intel severely underclocking their CPUs, I mean, this cpu could have easily been a lower-end extreme edition with 2megs cache because it seems to me that the only reason they sold it as a e6300 was because the other 2megs of cache was malfunctioning. Plus, with 65nms', there are more choices for motherboards and you dont *need* DDR3 ram. Both 65nm motherboards and DDR2 ram are cheaper than 45nm motherboard and DDR3 ram so going with 65nm would be a lot more economical.
    -good luck

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They probably weren't malfunctioning either...

4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

2.55GHz is about it before you want better cooling as if it is only the 90nm temps will be around 55c and thats w/ the Zalman CNPS9500. It has the potential to do 2.8GHz easily w/ something like the TR120E. 250x10 & 250HT @ 5x should be very doable for somethign like the AsRock (if not use the 11x) and Freezer Pro. Let us know how it goes. The 65nm version will give you better temps even if at same OC level.

5. navskin

navskin Regular member

hi and thanks for the info need somthing to put my pc under load to put it to the test can you help and as for the i have the 65nm processor and like you said i am getting low temps. like 45C and the mobo is @ 31C

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    A while back I did some very comprehensive "real world" testing of the Zalman CNPS9500 vs the AF7-Pro and the Freezer 64 Pro on 3 different platforms for another Forum, and the Arctics were marginally superior, especially as ambient temperatures rose! The Zalman, while a good cooler, is much harder to keep clean in a dusty environment like where I live because you can't easily remove the fan to clean it. All those little "Vs" on the inside of the cooler start trapping dust and dirt and will grow a "carpet" outward from the inside if allowed to go too long without cleaning.

I prefer the Freezer series over the 9500 because they cool at least as well, is much easier to install and fan removal for cleaning requires no tools. It's straight through airflow design is much better IMO since it doesn't trap much dust. Cleaning with the 9500 was at best monthly, while I only have to clean the AF-7 Pro about every 6 months. The Arctics are all much quieter too! I tested both on some real heaters! P4 Prescott 3.0/800 OC'd to 3.84GHz, and AMD Athlon 64 4000+ OC'd to 2.9GHz and the much cooler E4300 at 3.34GHz and the temps were 1-2C lower than the 9500 on all 3 platforms.

I also took the opportunity to test the AS5 vs the Ceramique and found no meaningful difference in temps in any range. The thermal properties of the ceramique are not as good as the AS5, but the smaller particle size of the Ceramique is smaller so it puts more particles in the same space to achieve equal heat transfer!

BTW! Still loving that Enzotech NB cooler. It works exactly as you said it would. Thanks!

Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And while I'm at it, the Freezer 7 also makes a far less annoying noise.

8. navskin

navskin Regular member

your probly right but i have a total of 9 fans in my pc now. so dont know that its there lol.

2 X 120mm
    5 X 80mm
    Cpu
    GPU

i just got my nvidia 8600gt running @ 600mhz Core And the memory @ 400mhz and the sharders @ 1500mhz and it nice and stable and my pc hasnt crash yet with my cpu at 45C while pay call of duty 4. do you think thats any good.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

45c is a good CPU temp for load.

10. navskin

navskin Regular member

please can you have a look over thase numerber if tell me if there i dont like the red boxes on the nvidia monitor program.

ps i think i am doing ok with this overclocking to say i am noob to it lol.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

navskin,

here are some good free proggys to load and test your cpu and system stability: OCCT, Orthos, and Prime. you should run them for an hour to test stability. you can google for these. keep an eye on your core temps.

here are some proggys that will tell your cpu core temps: Everest ultimate edition, coretemp and realtemp. you can google for these as well. Everest ultimate ed. is not free however.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So guys, I managed to OC my Celeron D from 2.6ghz to 2.8ghz. Now I just don't remember what program I used because you had to do it from Windows. lol I could probably use that extra 200 Mhz.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

navskin,
    You didn't say what Brand of case you have, but I use 1 120mm, 2 80mm, CPU, GPU and a 40x20mm NB cooler and have had no problems with heat in a Cooler Master Cavalier Mid-Tower case with my E6750 and the previous E4300 and an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. It's all about the airflow and where it goes and how fast it moves, going through the case that counts. Too much airflow is just as bad as not enough as the air moves too fast and doesn't absorb as much heat. Dry climates are even worse because the air moving through the computer is less dense! Try playing with your fan speeds and directions. Balancing speeds is important, as there's currently no other way to do very much to alter the airflow patern better inside the case.

I have a clever, inexpensive device I just invented that I'm having patent searched right now, that may go a long way towards helping out with this problem. I have the design fixed, but I'm working on the prototype, which means I have to build it from scratch as there's nothing available off the shelf that will work as efficiently! Even gave it a catchy name, Secondary Computer Cooling System or SCCS for short. Stay Tuned! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

and on the flip-side, I use three 120mms at a very low speed and also have no issues with heat. Having changed my PSU for a quiet low speed one, my CPU doesn't cool that well passively with the case fans at such a low speed, but at 1000rpm for all, it runs fine. I have two 80mm slots for fans in my case, but I can't say I really notice the difference when I use them, temp wise. It's probably due to the fact that the vent hole for one of them at least is quite large so ample air can seep through it to balance the pressure, that and the fact that I haven't got any 80mm fans good enough to push much air without making a din. Might try a pair of Nexus 80mm ones soon, they're even quieter than the 120mms, and I'm running a pair of those at full chat right now - a very faint roar in the background, it's even quite a pleasant noise! lol

15. im1992

im1992 Regular member

Sorry fo bringing this up again....but.....,
    Is a 120mm fan at 1162rpm good or is a 80mm fan at 2000rpm be better?
    -thanks

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

im1992,
    It's not that simple. It's all about how many CFM the fan makes at what RPM! My 80mm Silverstone moves about 25 cfm at 1300 rpm and the 120mm Silverstone moves about 75 cfm at 1400 rpm. Both are capable of much more cfm, but they would be too noisy for most people. Still the 120 is capable of 110 cfm and the 80, 75 cfm. Ideally, you would want the most airflow at the lowest possible speed to keep it quiet as possible and still cool well. Another plus is they com with individual controllers

I like ball bearing fans for their durability and steady running speed. I like and use the Silverstones because they move lots of air at the speeds I run them and at the speeds I run them they are reasonably quiet, don't disturb my sleep and can barely be heard across the room (about 10 ft.) The video card is the loudest fan in the computer! when lying in bed with the computer running I can barely hear them at all (about 6.5" away).

Another direction to go is with some type of sleeve bearing fan, and regardless of what fancy name they give some of the bearings they all pretty much work the same, the heat of friction causes lubricant to render out of the bronze or ceramic bushings to lubricate the shaft. They tend to have more of a change in running speed because of this process, so they do speed up and slow down, but it's not that noticeable. They do get more noisy towards the end of their life! If the lowest amount of noise is your goal, then these type would be best for you. Unless you live in a very dusty environment like I do! Even magnetically sealed sleeve bearing are terrible here as the dust works it way in and ruins the teflon seal on the turning and static surfaces. They don't last very long here either! I think the longest one has lasted is about 6 months, and then they start rattling and screeching when you first start the computer The ones with the Sony S-FDB bearings are the worst, as they are no mach for the fine silt like dust we get all the time around here. It gets into damn near everything! Scythe s-aflex fans are good, but they only have one model I tried personally and it had less cfm at 1600 rpm than the 120mm I have now makes at 1200, moving about the same amount of air!

Don't even consider most of the manufacturer's claims for noise as about 85% or more of those claims are pure BS! Sam is the expert on Silent PCs around here and has probably tested more fans than anybody here. If a silent PC is in your plans, he's the man to talk to!

Good fans generally cost between $15 and $20, but are generally worth it. I don't generally think too much about the warranty, as cheaper fans usually cost more to ship back than the fan cost to begin with. Even some name brands like Thermaltake tend to fudge a bit (a lot on the Thunderblade!) on their noise levels. They claimed 21dBA @2000 rpm for the Thunderblade. I tested one out after feeing that it was making between 33-35 dBA, rather than the claimed 21. I've got a pretty good ear and it tested out at 33.7 dBA in the company I work for's Anechoic Chamber. Pretty good hearing for an old man who'll be 64 in a month! Sam has extraordinary hearing too! That's the main reason he wants as quiet a PC as you can get. Like me, he hears things most people don't. Like me, he's a great music lover, with an ear for good music. I think it's because we both hear things most people miss completely! I know my hearing goes all the way up to 21,700 cycles as of the first of May, and Sam's range must go to the moon! LOL!! as he can hear things even I can't! I know I listen to Eric Clapton and Duane Allman's work on the original "Layla" it's like Nirvana! I hear every frett, every note and every harmonic (SWEET!) Believe me when I say, it's absolute Magic to listen to! I'm so glad I can still hear it all!

marsey99,
    Sorry bout that! I completely forgot that Sam switched coolers, I'm just used to the Freezer 7! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 120mm fan will probably push more air, but it'll be a lot quieter doing it, 120mm fans are always better than 80mms if you can fit them in.
    For reference, the

Also out of interest, two Casecom ball-bearing fans in my old PC that are now a few years old are making hideous grinding noises when they're first powered on and run at about 1/4 speed until the noise stops, or i knock them. The two Nexus sleeve bearing fans I have are over 18 months old and so far still perfect - same running speed as new, and although I'm sure the rpm does vary slightly, its actually less than the FM121s, because it isn't noticeable to the ear. Then again at 22dB, not a great deal would be!

A little 'for reference' for you:
    The Nexus 80mm fans push a little under 20CFM at 20dB. They are almost inaudible behind any high or low pitched noise, such as a hard disk spindle, watercooling pump etc. On their own in a silent room you can hear something's there, but not much.

The Nexus 120mm fans push 30CFM at 22dB. They are clearly audible, but only if there are no other prominent low frequency noises such as other fans, hard disk vibrations etc. In the typical PC environment both fans will be heard as a faint and calm rushing sound, there's very little tonal motor noise, it's mainly just the air pushing past whatever vent you have. If you are able to use a Metal circle fan grille and nothing else, this is ideal, as it cuts down the turbulence for more airflow and less noise.
    The Nexus fan spins at a bit under 1100rpm for 120mm, and 1500rpm for 80mm.

By contrast, the Scythe S-Flex fans push 50CFM at 1600rpm, but 31dB (for the 120mm). These produce a clearly audible tonal noise, but relatively low vibrations, and are still quieter than the 'average PC' by themselves.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  18. im1992

im1992 Regular member

hi,

damn.....fan buying is so f...ing hard!

Well, I don't have any equipment to check the actual CFM so I did the hand test. And.... the 80mm fan @ 2000rmp moves much more air than the 120mm @ 1162rpm. This is so annoying.

Thanks for the help guys.

I also have a question about fan placement...
    The case has a place for a fan in the front (80mm, 92mm, or 120mm)
    A fan in the back (80mm, 92mm, or 120mm)
    Two fan places on the side panel (both 80mm)
    Which way should each of them be pointing? For example: front: in, back: out, sides: in???

-thanks,
    im1992

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

1st of all there's much more to it than just fan size. it all depends on the cfm. I completely agree with what sam said. a 120mm fan will move more air than a 80mm fan (same rpm, blade pitch etc.). an 80mm fan has to turn faster or have an increased blade pitch to move as much air as a 120mm fan and are therefore usually noisier. the proof is in front of you. your 80mm fan is turning at 2000 rpm and your 120mm fan is only 1162. most have a rating (rpm, cfm and noise level). look for high cfm (cubic feet per minute) at a low noise level (dBA). a couple popular choices are the scythe SFF21F and the antec tricools. there are many other good choices. I would stay away from the thermaltake thunderblades. their name says it all. they are loud. simply put, use a 120mm fan where possible.

you want the front fan blowing in and the rear fan blowing out. it is not always necessary to use a fan on the side panel. if you choose to use one, try it both directions, monitoring temps both ways.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  20. im1992

im1992 Regular member

ok, i will do that
    also is it true that side panel fans disrupt the "natural" airflow of the case?
    -thanks