1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

so thats wat they have names us then :(

XD

hehe, yeah i would argue, but i think i have set a personal record tday of foruming.

i got my E2140 from 1.6 to 3.0, and i havent pushed it to its max yet.

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

push it to the max!!!!!!!! asus mobos are good, until, you deal with their RMA dept....
    -im1992

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I could have sworn you told us you were older than that before Abuzar, and if there's one thing I can't stand it's people who lie about their age on forums, and I genuinely mean that.

im: I have an E4300.

4. im1992

im1992 Regular member

i agree, abuzar, if you are lying, thats just pu*sy in my book.

E4300 at 3ghz..... not bad, 24/7 right? almost same set up here.... e6300 (1.8ghz stock @ 3088mhz 24/7 with 1.15v)
    what mobo is this on?
    thanks,
    -im1992

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

pretty sure before said he was 16 before.

thats the one thing i hate about asus, they have no mobo support in the uk what so ever. you have to call the usa to get some.

but then same for corsair :(

these two need uk centres. or EU centres (maybe they ahve an EU entre, i cant remember

6. im1992

im1992 Regular member

and let me tell ya, the support in the US is so bad, you start thinking of just buying a new motherboard.....i mean it took them almost 1 month to replace the mobo and i was only 3 states away, they were "testing" it to see if i abused it.....
    -im1992

7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Well, the bigger issues is the 680i in general, certainly not just ASUS. Notice DFI doesn't even push 680 anymore for over a year now? Go for the Q6700 for the price and multi. all quads are hard to OC on low multi, high FSB so the Q6700 will give you more of an edge on thos not willing to challange the quad FSB OC but you now can now tweak trd (on supported BIOS) to regain what lower FSB lost. It works mostly for numbers but not the best for real world since lots of voltages need to be cranked up to keep chipset stable and cooled.

How do you like your Q9450? I am not all too thrilled with mine in the area of FSB overclocking and use of trd in chipset OC is way too much stress on overall system, especially on dividers, not to mention the amount of FSBT, and PLL to get them up there.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

NUck: Not just DFI, Gigabyte too. The 680i truly was poor.
    Shaff/im: and you're a lot more likely to need Asus' tech support.

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yeah your right sam.

NucknFuts

how far have you pushed it m8?

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

what asus mobos have you had experience with? no mobo wars but I will let you in on some of my experiences with asus. firstly, only go with their high end intel based mobos. stay away from their low-mid level mobos and those with nvidia chipsets. if you want a lower-mid priced mobo, go with a gigabyte.

I had my asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi and E6600 OC'ed to 3.6ghz 24/7 no problems. set it back to 3.2ghz cause I'm gonna loan it to my brother. my asus rampage formula and E3110 is running at 4.0ghz 24/7 no problems.

I agree their customer support is far from great but you won't need it with a top end intel based mobo. they're getting better. I had to call asus customer support with a question on my latest build and I got right through. absolutely no hold time. they even gave me the correct answer. I have never had to RMA a top end asus mobo. they just work and I'm yet to find a better bios. I seriously doubt I will ever stray away from top end asus intel based mobos.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mort - I don't mean to be harsh, but you still defend Asus with a very immature manner. I didn't say that any other motherboard manufacturer was better. Corsair make RAM and PSUs, etc. and the problems I've seen occur with that are pretty darn low - lower than for any motherboard manufacturer I know of.

Sometimes it seems the only reason you chime in these days is to protect your beloved global semiconductor corporation...

12. im1992

im1992 Regular member

i had experiences with 2 strikers, a s939, and 2 socket 370's back in the day.... all bad experiences, it takes them way too long to replace mobos...
    -im1992

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

mort, there are other mobo manu's out there :p

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sam,

I am merely sticking up for what has worked best for me in the way of mobos. ppl are too willing to bash asus just because they had problems with one of their lower end models or one that is nvidia based and had to involve asus's poor customer support.

I am only saying in regards to top end intel based mobos, asus is one of the best. myself and a most the high-end OC'ers can't all be wrong can we. don't badmouth general motors just because your vega was a piece of $hit. GMC makes cadillacs too. you got what you paid for. see ya and good luck all. I obviously don't have any flocking idea what I'm talking about since I don't have a clue when it comes to OC'ing or dependability.

use what you will. my immature a$$ is done here.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then I'm going to be brutally honest here and say exactly how I feel.

So be it - we youngsters may not know it all, but at least we're the slightest bit open minded. Ever since buying the Rampage Formula you've been a disgrace to this thread posting nothing but your amazement for how good it is and how everyone who gets in the way of that is wrong, supposedly.

I used to regard you very highly and think of you as someone who knew where it was at with all this. You've left me very disappointed.

16. im1992

im1992 Regular member

now, now
    don't bash on each other
    ASUS is good sometimes and bad other times, its just that EVERY time i buy something from them, its turns out that its a POS. Maybe its just my luck. I think we all need to STFU and keep "our" "good" brands to ourselves and never speak of ASUS again.....
    -im1992

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

im, the point of my post was that I never actually started the motherboard war, Mort brought it up out of sheer blind ignorance.

18. im1992

im1992 Regular member

i agree sam, we shouldn't be talking about it....
    i didn't mean anything bad to you(sam), if i did, i am sry
    -im1992

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sam,

STFU. my 1st post on the last page was directed at IM because he stated he was never going close to asus again. I asked him what model asus mobos he had used to make him feel that way.

then I explained that I have had only good results. then you had to put in your two cents. I didn't start $hit.

look who's being childish now. so now you want to bash on me now that I'm done here. big man.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

<shakes head in disapproval>
    I've nothing further to add.