1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In what sense? How would you modify a CPU?
    All you need is good RAM, a good heatsink, and the will to adjust some settings.

2. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

@sammorris: I haven't heard of modifying the chip either until I read
    in a tweak3d.net how to article. I don't know how credible tweak3d is or if what their saying even applies to the AMD 4000+ cpu (though it was supposed to be a tutorial on OCing the AMD 4000+).
    This is where the quote came from http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/howtooc1/3.shtml. Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Taking a soldering iron to a £200+ CPU? Count me out. No chance unless you're a very trained professional, what's wrong with using the other settings?

4. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

The article made it sound like you had to "modify" the cpu before you could overclock it. I just wanted to make sure that you didn't have to do any of that in order to OC the AMD Athlon 64 4000+ before I bought it.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No no, you can go to various levels, there's even an auto feature in some motherboards so you just choose say "10%" and it does some basic adjustments for you. You get better results messing about with it yourself, but it's a start. Trust me, not even Tom's Hardware physically modify chips to get them overclocked and they've produced some absolutely astonishing results. The 4000+ is a top end chip, so I wouldn't expect great things, but you should get at least 2.7Ghz out of it.

6. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Hey totally out of context but i just thought id mention that i have overclocked my AMD San diego 3700+ to 3 Ghz which many people told me would be ipossible without phase cooling.
    HAHAHA
    So to them i did it!
    lol Thanks for your help all you guys
    Lecsiy

7. bobrlz

bobrlz Guest

my friend told me something about being able to overclock pentiums by messing with the jumpers. he kinda thinks he knows it all about computers but is this actualy possilbe. i have a pc that likes to complain alot and overclocking would be a welcome thing

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

At what voltage? bearing in mind if it's very high like crowy's build it may not last all that long...

9. catfreak

catfreak Active member

sammorris=[​IMG]

10. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

You know, if you don't have something worthwhile to post, don't post it. Yes you mr. "i have a picture of a can of spam".

As for playing with jumpers to overclock I haven't heard about that in years, yes voltage increases can be achieved via jumper positions on some motherboards, but in most cases it's all in the bios and software based.

I can't say that there is much in the way of safety when overclocking an Intel chip due to the fact that they run hotter and completely differently to AMD chips which are much more stable with temperatures and clocking abilities.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

catfreak:

[​IMG]

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

lecsiy,

But is it stable at that oc? The numbers may show it at 3.0 ghz but have you tried running any real world applications there such as prime or done any transcoding or encoding. What are your idle and full load temps?

bobriz,

Oc'ing with jumpers is almost unheard of anymore. Most mobo's these days have jumper free settings in the bios.

13. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

sorry if i am being stupid. but overclocking does not necessarily fry your computer, just the crappy parts right?
    had a 3700 and a 65.00 mobo overclocked to 2.6 and it blew.. i know have an abit.. and i am just wondering..

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If your parts go up in smoke after a reasonable overclock, then the parts were rubbish. As long as you don't go mad on the voltages, an overclocked PC should last into double figure years before it starts going wrong.

15. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

cool.. i got it up to 2.75 befor windows would crash.. and thats just messing witht the frequency.. fsb. i dont know what else to mess with because i dont want to fusk up again.. and catfreak must be loosing it.. he is getting really annoying..

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Just keep an eye on your cpu temp at idle and under full load. Make sure your memory frequency is still 1:1 and 400+ mhz.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  17. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

yeah well my computer is starting to fusk up.. probably software related but o well... i dont know what is crappy on my computer? other than i am not used to this new motherboard...

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In what sense? (try not to use that expression on here) What's happening? There's always a reason!

19. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

other than the alcohol 120%, but it is acting fine now... i am running mac os right know on this through a program that changes EVERYTHING to mac... iti is pretty damn cool.. but i want to go back to windows.. a lot faster..

but it looks like the spectra and the 100.00 ati card are headed my way..
    Thanx,
    FIHSNERD

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Alcohol is wrecked on my PC too, so don't fret.