1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

C'mon guys, liet's be open minded as you say. Mort has a valid point and I believe I said this several time before. You do get what you pay for. I cant speak of bad service because everything I needed, and it's been far and few over the past 13 yrs of ASUS, has been delt w/ in comparable manner to any other high end mobo I had to RMA. If I sent my Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz in for a major service call and it was done in an hour, I'd be a tad bit concerned as to why & what may have gotten overlooked. Lol! Quality takes takes time and patients. Good things come to those who wait,... sometimes.

I speak for me when I say that if any RMA issue w/ an ASUS has been something I did do my best to my home lab ability before I sent it back and sending results along to a lab tech. They like that and use it to determine the outcome. Remember, I like Mort OC and we OC to the gills at times I'm sure. So that has to have some sort of allowance. As for the daily user, I would expect I would have never had an issue w/ an ASUS high end board. My brother is an example. He sticks to average and is fine for years and gave it away before he ever noticed an issue out of the ordinary.

Be sure to take the comsumer reviews w/ a large grain of salt and allow for a 50% BS factor aside.

"My Two Cents"

not taking sides, just being open minded like the rest.

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

@NuckNFuts
    you have 2 e6750s..... if you switch them, do they overclock the same?
    what i am trying to ask is that is the CPU holding the mobo back or is the mobo holding the CPU back?
    -im1992

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Happy Happy Birthday Abuzer, belated it may be but, freakin' happy it should see. I too never get into the age thing. Besides, I found that a few of the said to be older and mature (30~44+) act as if they were 12 anyways. NOT at anyone here, just in general. It happens.
    I got 2 of the same time period when 1st released so they do OC bout the same w/i .01~.02v required for a given OC and maybe a 1~3FSB max of the 2, differences on the same mobo, the ASUS P5K Deluxe & Abit IP35 Pro then in early July then late aug of last yr (2007). On both the P35 , X38 and now X48, it is still the CPU holding me back but not by much. Especially on the P35 since a good E6300 can only go a tad over 533FSB and I get up to 515 stable w/ E6750 and 505FSB stable w/ Q6600. These are FSB max test on my 3 different mobos so it has to be the CPU if I only get about a 1~2 FSB wall difference including my older Abit IP35 Pro, wich btw is still it's weight. Good temps, voltages and ACPI support on an OC.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  4. im1992

im1992 Regular member

@NuckNFuts
    so its a cpu wall and not a mobo wall if i am understanding you correctly?
    -thanks,
    im1992

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

haha, Thanks guys!

Yeah things did get a little out of control here. I agree with NuckNFuts on this one...

6. navskin

navskin Regular member

hi people just a quick question. i have a nvidia 8600GT graphics card and i am overclocking it and now i cant ocerclock it because i will not let me install the XPERTVSION software that lets you overclock the card.

dose anyone know where i can get the software from on the internet to download, been on the manufactors web site and they dont have the software there can some one help me please.

ps i am installing xp as i think vista is a load of crap. you might agree on that or not. just my thoughs

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You might want to get Rivatuner to overclock that video card.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Oh and get the latest beta drivers from Nvidia. Last time I used them(The ones released on May 13) I got a big performance increase.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sigh, well my large post still got ignored.
    Oh well, I tried.

As for quad core games, Crysis doesn't really need one that much, I got almost the same benchmark as Waymon when I was using crossfire on my dual core CPU. The only games that probably would benefit from it are Assassins Creed (which also doesnt run badly on a dual core), but more importantly, Supreme Commander. That's about the only game that runs at less than 20fps on a 3Ghz Core 2 Duo because of CPu-lag.

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

wehey everthing is sorted.

sam you owe me an apology >8-[

for making me read such a nice, yet long, post :p

thanks sam, im sure many others also wanna say that to you.

i always though u hated them untill a few months back, when you said youve never put down a top end asus. and i agree to that.

ill be the first to admit anything under £85 for asus is a no go (unless you talking about the 780G, even their Uatx mobos are over that, but they are good (intel chipsets))

sam you spoke liek a man their, and ur the better man now for owning that you were mean, you have gained more respect from me (so that means nothing caus i have always hated u, so ur still in negative numebr with me :p, no i joke)

abuzar (can i got back to azubar please? :D) honesty on forums is important, becuase it makes your posts seems that more reliable when they come form an honest source, and with someone so young who is so into this, and VERY good at this hobby (well bar the case fetishes:p) i have to commend you, and you do also have a lotof respet from me. i never knew u lied about ur age, but that would have made be think of you less (liek i think of you highly anyways :p) of course i do :)

so now that this is ettled, lets all get out our guns, and murder mort for being a FANBOY :p

no im joking, he is just recomending a great product that he has had success with. one wouldnt recomend OcUK if they had a problem with them (it happens in every company, how ever good they are, bar kustompc) but to another, OcUK could have been nothing but golden.

same with nvidia chips. hell Q-tecs for some have been perfect aswell. IT HAPPENS.

so can we be less fanboyish.

(ME INCLUDED :D)

and sam, i do recomend corsair, jsut these last weeks i hadnt, but untill last few weeks, it was only corsair from me. to me it depends all on budget, so if you have the budget for the modu82+ 625W go for it, if you dont have a budget for that, go for the corsairs, (unless u wanna £45 psu, go for the 385 pro82+)

ok and to top it all off imma post a pic of me

jsut randomly

[​IMG]

this is about 6 months old, but one of my faves. now i have a nice beard.

bte anyone wants to msn me ***email removed by loco***

and face book me: shaffaaf arif :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

While we are all posting pics of ourselves. This is my ONE AND ONLY myspace kinda picture.

[​IMG]

11. navskin

navskin Regular member

@abuzar1
    thanks work perfect.

Core Clock 600Mhz
    Memory Clock 400Mhz
    Sharder Clock 1500Mhz

and stable.

did i tell you guys i am 16 doing my GCSES and my computer bought and paid for by me.

oh and one more thign what a good program for running benchmarks on my pc.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Cool. I paid for my computer by selling other computers :)

I was going to do A levels before I came to America.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shaff: Thanks for the kind words, and similarly thought out (and similarly long, heaven forbid!) post. As for the PSUs, I like to think I have an open mind, and I was planning on getting a Modu82 unit to quieten my server. I found a comment on SPCR's forums that they had QC issues, but I can't find any proof - so I'm probably going to go ahead and buy the 385W unit for it once I get the money. The corsair VX450W is slightly cheaper where I've looked, but realsitically if you're using 400W of power, it's a noisy beggar, so you'd really want the HX or Modu82 anyway...

Now time for some brutal and perhaps upsetting honesty... I had no idea Shaffaaf was your real name, I thought it was a random set of characters, since they're so close together... :p So um, my apologies about that!

Nice pictures, the pair of you.. :p

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Thanks!

I think I'm a tag ugly, but girls tend to disagree ;)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I also disagree, in a totally hetero way... :p

16. im1992

im1992 Regular member

@NuckNFuts
    so its a cpu wall and not a mobo wall if i am understanding you correctly?
    -thanks,
    im1992
    ***LOL, just gotta post this again since he may not scroll all the way up....***

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol that's fine...

18. im1992

im1992 Regular member

well, wtf! i hate supreme commander anyways!
    anyways, does quad core help in running virtual machines?
    i use vmware a lot so would it help in that at all?
    -im1992

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

haha, yeah no homo.

Why don't you get your moms Q6600 and try it out. See for yourself.

20. im1992

im1992 Regular member

she thinks i will overclock it and doesn't let me near her computer...... she has to run her "business" without problems.....
    this is the very reason i am gonna go quad, i was gonna wait for nehalem as they are almost twice as fast (confirmed) but by that time i can sell my q6700 for almost what i bought it for and then go to nehalem.... no loss and plus i get to have quad bragging rights for the next 5 months before nehalem and then 8 cores!!!!!!!!!!(nehalem):)
    -im1992