1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed we know - hence why he doesn't use that voltage every day. Note that 45nm Quads are more susceptible to the issue than the Duals.

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

oh, no worries
    i really appreciate the info!
    thanks,
    -im1992

3. im1992

im1992 Regular member

what i heard(ppl say that Intel warned them before) was that even using the voltage for like 5 seconds causes permanent damage! And then ppl started blowing their CPU's running them only for 5-10secs with extremely high voltages (which is 1.4 - 1.5 for 45nms).....I really wouldn't even boot the system with more than 1.4, i mean, do you really want to throw away 200 bucks (for the cheapest 45nm)???
    -im1992

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

But yeah, based on information I've seen from various forums, bolstered by that thread, the max I would ever recommend going to (even once) is 1.35V for an E8000 series, and 1.25V for a Q9000 series.

5. im1992

im1992 Regular member

so u do agree that 1.5v is wayyyyyy too much for even one boot, right?
    -im1992

6. im1992

im1992 Regular member

just out of curiosity.....what is the max for 90nm and 65nm?
    thanks,
    -im1992

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Correct - his CPU may last a decent length of time if he doesn't ever go above stock voltage, but it wont' be anything like it would be if never increased. It's for this reason that I probably wouldn't spend the money on a Q9450 over a Q6600 even if I had it - the amount you can overclock to safely is about the same, if not better with the 6600.

I'm not sure what the 'official' max is for the 65nm chips, but I set a limit of 1.45V.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  8. im1992

im1992 Regular member

Cooling in the future...... watercooling........no way.
    45nm's barely need a fan! I feel sorry for ppl who get those phase change systems for 2000 bucks and now none of that crap is needed.
    One thing is for certain tho...with 45nms, you can overclock very easily w/o touching the stock voltages....its only those who push their limits that end up with dead chips.
    In any case, even if you do manage to "rupture" the die on the microscopic level, thereby rendering the chip useless, I doubt you will have any trouble RMAing the chip as long as its not lapped or has burn marks. I, of course am not saying that you should RMA a chip that you know you blew but if you really have to.....I don't think you will run into problems getting a new one.
    -im1992

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh absolutely - you can still make well above 3Ghz on the Q9450 without nudging the voltages up - but you can make well above 3Ghz on a Q6600 in its safe zone too - you're paying double the price for lower power consumption and a bit more cache.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    If he does, he won't be doing it for very long on a 45nm! LOL!! It's not a question of if it's going to fail, it's only a question of when!

im1992,
    It's not a question of rupturing the die! Think of the electronic pathways inside a chip as water pipes! Once they spring a leak, their finished. They can't be repaired! Intel is also getting a little less friendly with RMAs these days. I even had to come up with a receipt for my D-940, which I've never had to do before, ever! If they wind up sinking AMD for good, Intel will get even worse about it as they'll be the "only game in town"!

Russ

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

<nods in agreement>

12. im1992

im1992 Regular member

absolutely!
    we are all saying the same thing in different words....over and over again.....but at least we all, for once, agree on something!
    thanks,
    -im1992

13. im1992

im1992 Regular member

sorry for the wrong wording....i was trying to say the same thing tho...
    thanks,
    -im1992

14. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

stop being girls, this is an overclocking thread ffs.

if it would help me i would give my 8200 1.6v for the odd bench run but as it is i cant get above 540fsb due to my ram. when i was testing this out tho i did give it 1.43v but it only needs 1.38v (load) to stay solid at 4.3ghz.

sam...3dmark 06???? do my eyes decieve me?? :p not a bad score for that clock on your cpu m8. i still havent beat 14.3k but it crashs with an app error when i try to run it on this new board for some reason even at stock clocks??? tried everything bar a new os install so im not sure what it is. i would guess that i would be hitting 15.5 ish if i ran it @4.2ghz and my g card maxxed as in sig.

tbh 06 is a quad only bench now as it gives you +2k for the same clocks. the daft thing is 05 works fine??

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, the extra score the Quad core CPUs get is nuts.
    Not really a fair comment, a lot of first time overclockers look in this thread, and we don't need the following advice that sees their CPUs going up in smoke within weeks.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    There's a bit of a difference between being girls and being sensible! As Sam pointed out, we get a lot of newbies here that come and go. I'm not saying that you can't push things a little over what Intel recommends, but there's still a reason that the VID voltage limit on your CPU is 1.3625v and not say, 1.37v! You also don't get warnings in the same way you did with the older Intel CPUs like we did back then either! Back then when you were getting close to a CPU's limits the CPU temps would start climbing. When that started to happen we knew that we were right around the limits of the CPU.

Today, heat is not the issue! Electro Migration within the chip doesn't give you any warnings, it starts to give errors and then just dies! Start throwing in things like pencil mods or soldering mods on the MB, and you have a recipe for disaster! It's a bit like tying down the safety valves on a boiler and then upping the heat. It will work for a while, but someday it's going to go boom! Since most of us here are working stiffs, we can't afford to blow things up. Add to that, Intel is getting less and less friendly about replacing CPUs and it could get real expensive.

You know, Vdroop is there for a reason. It's not some inadequacy, it's part of the design! There's a purpose to it and should not be eliminated! Just like the boiler I mentioned before! By doing those mods, you are effectively eliminating the safety valve. Add a cheap PSU and you are courting disaster! Every time you see the CPU voltage fluctuate, Vdroop is doing it's job, as it was designed to do.

We get a lot of people who come to this forum and particulally this thread because they want to learn. People with absolutely no experience whatsoever! It's not an extreme overclocking forum. They come here for advice so they can learn to overclock their computers. It does absolutely no good to advocate doing things that aren't safe to do, for the inexperienced. This particular thread along with the Building and cooling threads have a good reputation. It's not cutting edge, it's a thread for people to learn from. We are like a school, and this is Kindergarten! For the life of me I can't understand why someone with the proper knowledge and experience doesn't start an Extreme overclocking thread, but to me, this just isn't the place for it!

Only my opinion, of course, but I think a very sensible one!

Respectfully,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed. There's a difference between benchmark racing and overclocking for genuine daily benefit, and not everybody knows that.

18. im1992

im1992 Regular member

anyone who really wants to test their limits can just head on over the [H]ard forums! for the rest of us, there's AfterDawn...
    -im1992

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

im1992,
    There are precious few places a Newbie can go to learn! That's why I get agitated with the work ethics of some of our younger members. No matter how you want to look at it, Patience and Time are our friends, not our enemies! There's an old computer expression, "GIGO"! If you take the time to learn and then do things right, you'll have very little "GO"!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I'll have to give into this. I recently burned out a E2180 trying to push it to the max. Luckily Intel replaced it for me, but I'm WAY more cautious now.

The thing is most of us overclock to get performance gains, not to run silly benchmark and show how big our epenis is :)