1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. im1992

im1992 Regular member

e-penis.......

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not heard that expression? It and 3dmark are often found in the same sentence...

3. im1992

im1992 Regular member

no, i hadn't heard that b4
    lol.....3dmark.....e-p....
    -im1992

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

imran

you never knew what e-peen was....

[​IMG]

LOL

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

Seriously guys a couple of visits already by MOD's and you're begging for more??? Doesn't make any sense if you ask me!!!

I've been having other computer issues and haven't been able to check out my Quad system like I've wanted too... I'll see what I can do with it later this week I hope. It has the Striker Extreme that sammy's friend had issues with... of course NOT the same exact mobo... lol.

....gm

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, best of luck Gm! Maybe you can finally put an nvidia chipset board in some positive light!

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks m8... I'm sure I'll need it with some of what I've read. lol. ;) Of course I know a fella that has taken the 680i chipset to the extreme but it wasn't an ASUS mobo IIRC. ;)

....gm

8. im1992

im1992 Regular member

evga? rofl
    -im1992

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

im what's the deal with the "rofl"?? There are other 680i mobo's as well. ;0 BUT you're right it's EVGA!!! What's wrong with EVGA?? Have you used them and had personal experience (bad?) that dictates such a reply?? I haven't BUT I do know someone that is very proficient with that particular mobo. :p

...gm

10. im1992

im1992 Regular member

oh no
    i was just taking a guess and laughing in the case i was right
    in fact, EVGA is a very good brand in my book...i would never buy another manufacturer's graphics cards
    although i haven't had the opportunity to own one of their motherboards, i am sure that their brand will be one of the top few choices for me when it comes time to buy one...
    -im1992

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I used to recommend EVGA stuff, but there was a period a few weeks ago when there was a significant pile of threads all to the effect that they had a dodgy graphics card, and every one of them was an EVGA. That took them out of my good books. I know someone who used an EVGA board as well, a 650i one, but that wasn't actually the problem, the board's just plain bare, very little instruction or support, it looks more like a board you'd expect to see inside a Gateway than an enthusiast grade platform.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

doing a little OC here

[​IMG]

man i love this stuff, when you got the right stuff to work with..lol

running a stress test and surfin the net all at once no slow down..

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

rob that 12v its reporting is your vdimm.

edit

its been a while since i have seen many more die due to "em" which makes me think even more that it was a couple of bad batch #s that got sold not a design flaw. i know of a few people who have their wolfdales running 1.45v 24/7 and have pushed alot more vcore thru them for bench runs and they still work months after.

after i tried pushing 1.45v thru my 8200 it needed less vcore to stay stable for my 24/7 clocks, not alot but some nontheless.

how long did it take intel to up the max rated volts on the 65nm chips? i will not be shocked when they do the same for the 45nm ones.

vid, somedays i do think they have a tombolla to pick those :D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea i know i set it up to do that. im more worried about the mem volts right now than others...
    im leaveing it set at auto in bios and just seeing how far i can go before i need to adjust the volts on the mem and cpu

damn marcey99 very nice OC there.

15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

cheers rob, the chip has alot more init but my ram (dam you 2gb sticks)lets me down there and no matter how much vdimm they get they will not post at 541.

yours is nice for the vcore too m8. im betting 1.3v will get you 4ghz+ easy by the looks of that.

which rev of the p35 ds3r have you got?

16. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

@ marsey99,

Are you using 2x 2g RAM moduals? Remember as I mentioned many post back when dabbling with these. If not aiming for the braggin' systetic scores, you need to loosen the trfc (Row Refresh Cycle Time) of stock to at least 50 but 55 for more stability if so available. OCZ does this to their new FLEX II kit to insure use in BIOS that do not allow trfc above 42. Also if available, relax any RAM performance options that will effect trd (chipset performance level) level to match match your FSB.

Trfc 50 at trd 8 wokrs great daily for me at 480FSB (RAM 1153MHz) w/ a dual. The Q6600 needs much more NB to 1.55v and trfc 55 to keep equally stable.

Just some ideas for using 4gb RAM in the 2x 2g kits. It's what works for me on my various mobos but will greatly vary from BIOS to BIOS options.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i have the 2.0 revision now. when i sent my mobo back for the second time i requested the 2.0 revision i had the 2.1.

TBH i think i could get 4.0ghz out of it but im not to sure my mem can handle it. plus im not in no need to take it that fast. granted i want to but realisticly i need this to last me a couple years if not longer, so im pretty much happy with the very stable 3.51ghz i have now...

as for my Vcore that is supriseing me also. im very happy with it where its at. like i said i have it set on auto in the bios and it dont even have it up to the 1.225v that its rated at. im sure if i was to take it up to 3.7/3.8ghz i would need t take it up some. but until i see that i need to manually adjust it. i'll let the mobo do its work for me..lol

have you done a mips test on it to see what ya get? id say you would be close to 40,000 if not higher

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

plus all that right there that nucknfuts just said. blew right over my head. i dont have a clue as to what he is talking about..lol

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol his posts are a bit 'technical' lol, but very useful as an insight into the 'higher level' overclocking. Indeed I hadn't really considered tinkering with trfc. Presumably this primarily only affects the 2GB Sticks?

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I just try to give the basics and figure most will go "Yahoo" it further or on the many other OC foums such as Overclockers.net or ExtremeOverclocking.

But the trfc relax can benifit many RAMs, especially in the area of utilizing less vdimm at same speed but w/ slightly loosened timing. Or simply for getting more FSB out of same RAM on same vdimm as before. My old BIOS only allowed 42 Row refresh rate so I was forced to use a vdimm of 2.245v for my Crucial PC2-8500 @ 1153 but w/ relaxed trfc of 50, I can now use as low as 2.22v and system still feels just as smooth.

YES, I realize as I already said above, not many will have these mobos and BIOS options, but I did see some and for those who do, play w/ them anbd see where they can help your OC.
    ASUS & DFI users can often get access to these RAM sub timing and chipset options via BETA BIOS on most all their X38/X48 mobos. Few ASUS & DFI further allow tweak of the trd in the chipset more direct such as our RAMPAGE FORMULA. However, all the other ASUS X38 I can speak for allow this tweak through the propper use of RAM Ai Clock Twister and Performance Booster. See Everest chipset for performance level used for your OC then compare.