1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

So what did Mort81 have to say Sam?

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    Did you ever wonder why? The answer is pretty simple if you stay away from the real technical aspects of it. More voltage puts more pressure on the electronic pathways, widening them a bit. When you went back to more normal voltages, because the pathways are now slightly wider, it takes less voltage to move the same amount of electrons through it! The higher voltage has widened the pathways in the only way it can since the paths are physically fixed, once you reach the point of not being able to contain the electrons within the electronic pathways, it fails!

It's very much like a water pipe! If you put enough pressure on it it will eventually spring a leak! You haven't sprung a "leak" yet, but you have put enough pressure on it to expand it slightly and make it weaker! The lower voltage now required is proof positive that some damage has occurred! Not fatal, but............

That's what Electro-Migration is all about, only you are talking about the electronic pathway's ability to contain electrons instead of a pipe's ability to contain water!

BTW! I'm pretty sure I invented the term "Electro-Migration" back in the very early 70s. I never heard it before, but I've heard it a lot, over the years since. Back in the day when microprocessors and control chips first started showing up in Medical equipment. We had many problems with them. We got tired of writing "Electronic Circuit Breakdown caused by leakage in control chip" on our reports, So I shortened it to Electro-Migration and it almost instantly caught on, thanks in part to GEs top X-Ray Electronics Engineer being there when I invented it! He liked the term so much that he started putting it in all of GEs X-Ray manuals! The rest is history! LOL!! (Takes a bow) ROFLMAO!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. im1992

im1992 Regular member

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

im1992,
    I don't know if you caught it, but while the CPUZs look identical, the bigger one doesn't show the core voltage. The smaller one clearly shows 1.536v. Why the difference? Suspicious, to say the least!

Russ

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

4.7 Ghz on a Quad core is INSANE!!!

Basically a Q9450 at 4.7Ghz.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Did you read my last post? That 4.7 is very suspect at the moment. It may well be a fake!

Russ

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I reckon that could well be doable - but at that voltage the CPU would probably last about 48 hours.... :p

LOCOENG - I've sent a formal apology to Mort81 - apologies for the delay, I wanted to wait until I was in a suitable mood to write a sincere apology, without sounding inappropriate. I'll let you know if I hear back.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah but he still did it!

Anyway, he says his 24/7 speed is 4.2. People on there seem to trust him and they know him better than me!

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

4.2Ghz is probably as high as you could get a QX9650 on a remotely sensible voltage - I'd say that's doable as well. It would still have to be a fair mark above the stock volts though, so it still wouldn't last that long. I'd expect even a QX9650 would top out under 4Ghz without any Vcore raise - and if I wanted a 45nm quad to last a decent amount of time, I wouldn't be raising the Vcore.

He has an impressive Vdrop doesn't he? 1.62V and end up with 1.536V - ouch!

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That really is surprising. You think he would mod it or something to fix that. I did one on my board and it helped a LOT.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I know that, but why would someone take a different pic just for that when the other one they posted would have been fine. Why does the Certified one not show the core voltage. It's the same program! That raises some questions in my mind! I've never seen that happen to me when I've validated my CPUZ before!

Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I was wondering that as well, I've never seen it happen before.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, weird. What happened to the old CPUZ Validator? I preferred it...

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

you beat me to that abuzar.
    i took my CPUZ 4 different times just cause it didnt show my volts once its valadated.heck im only OC'd to 3.51 im not breaking any speed test here AND have no reason to hide my volts..lol i think its something in the valadation process that lose's the volts??

getting ready to move my tower out from under my desk it got kinda hot in here lastnight. we didnt have the AC on and it was like 87 in here and my temps shot up to 58c on both cores lastnight. thought i had something running. i pulled the case out from under the desk let it set allnight and temps back down to 50-52c on thecores and hte CPU @30-32C...

edit:
    \been doing some tinkering around for the past couple hours. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this one for you Russ
    [​IMG]

cpuz validate
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=374419

yes im happier than a drunk at a free beer fest...lol
    i am backing down to 3.6ghz and im done. mem will be at 800mhz so im slap happy

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  17. im1992

im1992 Regular member

hmmm....the bleep that ppl do to have bragging rights......i am sick of ppl lying on the internet....bleep me off so much!!!!urggg!!!!!
    -im1992

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

im1992, read this again:

I don't necessarily think the guy with his huge QX9650 is deliberately hiding his voltage.

19. im1992

im1992 Regular member

you might be right.....but in general......ppl lie a lot these days....not pointing any fingers or anything.....but its true
    -im1992

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sadly that's the case. Anyway this is an express train to offtopicsville...