1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

What.? it has messed urs up too?
    i will talk to yall later, have to go.. :(

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It all went odd after the trial expired. I get a box every time I so much as look at a .mdf file or right click on a folder

3. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

Sam, that is what it does, all you can do is remove it, it isn't the pc messing up, it's alcohol spamming you trying to get you to pay for it.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Precisely. I'd hardly call that a PC being fwked up.

5. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

when does it expire?
    will my images go bye bye too?
    what can i use after that goes by by?
    and will i have to get new images?
    thanx,
    FIHSNERD

6. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

how do you unlock pipes?
    i have a 6200 XFX with 256mg turbo cache and 4 pipes i think...

thanx,
    FIHSNERSD

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it only ever had 4 pipes, 4 pipes is all you'll get. You can only unlock pipes if you have a cut down version of a faster card. e.g. an X800XL has 16 pipelines, but 4 are locked. You can flash the BIOS to unlock them. I don't think any 6200 has any more than 4 pipelines, so you probably can't do any more. Just try upping the core and memory speeds a bit.

8. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

how do i do that?
    my nvidia thing doesent have anything with it..
    overclocking wise...
    thanx
    fihsnerd

9. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

again sorry.. i was going to get the X850XT but if the 800 has the same amount of pipes.. and it can unlock to get to 20? :)
    isnt the X800XT cheaper too?? :) :) :)

10. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

damn.. thats agp... ****'er :) the only PCIe on has 12 pipes..

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No. ANY X800 has 16 pipelines. The XL and GTO have 12, the XT has 16. Once all pipelines are open you can't unlock pipelines that don't exist. 16's your lot for ANY current graphics card. Even the X1900s have 16 pixel pipelines, but they have 3 shaders on every pipe so effectively there are 48 (although the effect isn't quite as strong - but the ring bus makes up for that). But no, 16's the max I'm afraid. Sorry!
    The X800XT's a rare bird over here now (I wanted one in 2004 but it was so rare it wasn't available in the UK for 5 months after release!) The X850XT is commonplace now, and over here is cheaper than the 800, so get that in stead. As long as you don't buy the Platinum, you'll be fine.

12. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

i am trying to fit it into my budget to get the oem 850XT and get the power connector for 2.00.. but will the 4 pipes help that much between the 800 and 850? expecially on the spectra..

thanx,
    fihsnerd

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

isn't it sceptre?

The 4 pipelines make a small difference, as does the increased speed and better core, three small differences that add up to make quite a big one.

14. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

**Looks ay own sig**...

From my sig...
    Well it's simple, you have to have the older GPU chip, as the newer revisions are only 4 pipelines.

If you get http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163 RivaTuner, once you've loaded it up click on the first 'Customise' arrow then on the picture of the graphics card, then NVStrap driver, then Install, then tick the 'Allow enabling...' then click on the down arrow and select custom, then click on the 'Customize' button, and tick the top item in the list if it isn't already. It'll say in description 'Pixel unit 0' and the one below should be 'Pixel Unit 1' if you have 8 pipelines. once ticked, save and restarted you are running on 8Pixel Pipelines instead of the standard two.

I don't know if your card can do it though, I went for the 6200TD because I knew it could be done.

Also if anything goes wrong it is not my fault, I am just telling you how it works on mine and it's u to you to take responsibility.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  15. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

I think you'll also find that XFX will probably have unlocked the 8pps as they like to make cards as powerful as possible.

As for your comments about Alcohol 120% you need not worry about the files not working any more, they are still valid. If you were to purchase or something *chough* alcohol then you have nothing to worry about :)

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

HOW???? I must be mistaken about the 6200s then! Why would they do that? Seems like a waste of money to me. I'm amazed it's better than a 6600GT. No such freedom with the faster cards!

17. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

i have the turbo cache version.. which can be unlocked... bummer..
    it was 60.00 or somthing.. so ooo well.. u know.. if all goes well, i will just have to worry about my video card.. and save some for the monitor (Spectra).. i was thinking a 7900 or an 850XT or X1800XT or somthing.. whatever i can do i will .. but we will decide this on the 18 of july.. after the court hearing.. :)/:(.. any prefrences, or IDEAS would be great...

yall guys kick major ***!
    FIHSNERD

18. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

I actually made a mistake in my sig...it's the same sort of power as the 6800GT and more powerful than the 6600vanilla easily.

A mate of mine had a 6600GT and I was clocking up the same sort of FPS as he was after I unlocked and overclocked my card. I bought it about a year or two ago for £90 and it's still going strong :).
    My brother then bought a 6600vanilla as it was suposed to be better than his card he had at the time and mine easily beats it.

The 6200TD is made with the 6600 chipset and is de-clocked, the components are obviously not as stable at the higher clock speeds that the 6600 runs which is why it is a drop down, but it can be pushed if you want to push it.

19. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

Well these days ATi is infact starting to take over the graphics sector as their technology is getting more advanced than Nvidia along with Intel clambering over AMD to take the performace top spot. Both the companies won't have full effect in their position change till around the first quater of 2007 after their new CPUs and GPUs come on the market.

There are some new articles on http://www.theinquirer.net with some interesting information.

At the moment I don't know which is best to go for I've always thought Nvidia is better, and never really liked ATi, but now I am changing with ATi's new chip the R600 which will dance allover Nvidia's G80 chips.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds good, but how do you know that for sure?