The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Talking about Motherboards, the Rampage Formula is 200 at newegg. Open box, but still VERY tempting.

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

lol
    if it doesnt work
    RMA it!!!!! you still get a good mobo for only 200!
    me on the other hand....i am waiting for Nehalem cause i doubt i will be getting the Q6700 (it was out of stock like a month ago and said that it will be in stock "in 1 to 2 weeks"....well, its still saying that.....maybe i will just get an E8400 (only 94 bucks!)...and then get a quad or an octa when nehalem comes out along with a fresh Nvidia 980i chipset mobo!
    -im1992

3. im1992

im1992 Regular member

there is still one thing...i started with 1.35v on this bios and same everything else and now i am down to 1.104 sooooo i really do think that the e6300 might be getting "loose" or something and therefore requiring less voltage....
    below i am guessing.....
    *********correct me if i am wrong but don't we over volt so that impurities in the silicon "pipes" are overcome? so the voltage basically "cuts" through those impurities? and when these impurities get "smoothed" out, we require less voltage?***********

thanks,
    -im1992

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not to my knowledge - if any 'cutting' occurs with higher voltage, it's electronmigration, and a bad thing.

5. im1992

im1992 Regular member

what is the point of overvolting anyway?
    thanks,
    im1992

6. im1992

im1992 Regular member

another question
    why is my mobo stuck at 1765mhz fsb?
    even if i drop the multiplier on my CPU to 6x instead of the normal 7x, i can still only do 1765mhz fsb max....what can i do to overcome this? i KNOW for a fact that the cpu can do much higher clocks.... E6300 batch code L729A321...one of the best batches of C2Ds....
    -im1992

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

to reach higher clock speeds! :)

8. im1992

im1992 Regular member

yea but what does it exactly do?
    why does it increase the tolerance for speed?
    -im1992

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Not bad concidering the low vcore, if it indeed is stable.

I know most here arn't a fan ov high FSB or use of vcore to OC but I ran an E6300 on !975X almost 2yrs back up to %532FSB on the 6x and very smoothly at 480x at little over 1.42v for a nice comfortable 3.36GHz on the 7x. It needed good quality cooling if on air and that appears to be something that gets second to big GPU insttead.

We use FSB for chipset pefrormance level increase (PL or trd). We also use it where RAM dividers are not so stable and 1:1 gives better results. We especially use higher FSB to get the most out of a low FID multi CPU as long as the mobo can keep up. And today on P35 and all X38/48/X45, you will not have a mobo hold back. It will almost for sure be the CPU then RAM.

500FSB is a snap for that E6300 on good air. It will not beet the E6750 but it holds up to an old E6600 only lacking L2 and clock MHz. Otherwise, not bad for abudget CPU runing DDR1066 in 1:1 @ 3.2GHz.

I know the regulars wont' go for it, but just wanted to share in case some never got the full potential of the old OC worthy E6300.

Clock On!

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

nuck i wanna start to delve in deep OCing as you do, so can you explain what the terms mean, and why they are used, and what tehy are used for, and what values they should be for 65nm c2d?

firstly what is strap?

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

im1992,
    Think of it this way. To go faster takes more power and since the voltage is the power, you raise it accordingly. It's like increasing the horsepower of a car to make it go faster!

Hope that explains it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I'll do my best in short. You can PM me if you want more details.

The trd is a NB chipset timing latency value. Tweaking it now allows us to use lower FSB and up the PL value to get an equivalent of using a higher FSB like the old days, where MAX FSB was the only way to go.

The strap, CPU strap to NB is the pre sets of dividers for a given CPU default FSB (ie: 400, 533, 800, 1066, 1333, 1600). Since trd, performance level (PL) is derived directly from this, picking a certain strap lower then your default can allow use of more available CPU:RAM diveders. On the otherhand, choosing a strap above your stock can give you slightly relax chipset timings in the same 1:1 from the previous strap.

The trfc is a RAM sub timing, row refresh rate. Both the mobo BIOS and RAM chip IC hold a part here. RAM trfc is often set to like 42 for typical kits but high speed RAM or more of, needs to be slightly relaxed. Few mobo BIOS will alow a loosening of this above 42, so a BETA is often needed or RAM w/ relaxed trfc.

13. im1992

im1992 Regular member

@NuckNFuts
    since my mobo is holding me back a lot

considering the temps are 34 idle and 40 100% load
    if i were to pin mod the e6300 from 1066mhz FSB to 1333mhz FSB....would i be able to overcome the 1765mhz fsb limit i am currently having?
    thanks,
    -im1992

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  14. im1992

im1992 Regular member

thanks man!
    you explain things very well!
    -im1992

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

remember P=IV (power = voltage x Amperage)

in a circuit amperage = charge/time

as charge and time do not change, the I doesnt change in a circuit.

therefore the only way to deliver more power to a circuit would be to over vlot it.

does that make sence?

its simple physics :)

and nuck thank you.

right so my deflaut FPB is 800, so if i put my staprs less that 200 i can get tighter timings when i run the ram 1:1 (atm im running it at 1500 effective)

time to wiki more of the stuff you told me. hope i get a fraction of of your OCing knowlege :)

do you OC for fun?

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Nuck,

I was playin' with my PL/tRD settings and that can be some scary stuff. I tried 5 1st. the bios locked up and I couldn't even adjust anything in it (never had that happen before). had to shut it down with the power button. I thought I was going to have to manually clear the cmos but it booted back up on the second try. scary stuff as asus mobo's are usually very forgiving.

anyway, long story short, the best PL/tRD I was able to get at my current FSB, cas, NBv and FSB:DRAM ratio is 7. I might be able to get 6 if I raised the NBv a little more but I don't want to go any higher.

my memory read is 9244. my latency is 54.0 and the bandwidth is 8697/8692. look ok to you?

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

The pin mod is intended for mobos whos BIOS is locked so it forces the mobo to strap it as 333FSB (1333). It will serve of little use on your mobo since 333 was a stock available FSB. You just need to set to 333 and adjust vcore and NB to match if need be. The pin mod only changes (tricks the mobo for auto) FSB, not the vcore, so if the CPU really cant handle the OC on stock vcore and mobo did not allow overvolting, it would just lock up and or crash.

Your best bet is overclocking manually

sounds like we have the same mobo. YES, trd is very tricky and voltage demanding to keep low tight settings stable. 5 is highly unrealistic for the types of OC we usually do for any FSB over 333 to 400. PL6 is even pretty tight for 400 - 415FSB. So yes, if lowering, it is like tightening your RAM, except the MCH NB will now need more volts to handle the load. I try to find a middle of medium high FSB a quad can handle and medium PL (trd) the NB can handle on a given FSB. I ended up w/ PL8 at 485 for a dual at NB of 1.52v but a quad puts more stress on the NB so of corse we gotta add more NBv.

So for higher FSB w/ a quad, you may need to loosen the PL in the other direction. For me, PL9, or 10 was not unusual to have to use at 475-500FSB. These quads a tricky to get FSB out of but I done a few so let me know, You got the right mobo and chipset for it.

18. im1992

im1992 Regular member

Hi,
    I am getting the Q6700 (coming in on Wednesday) and would like to know if I can overclock it to ~3.2ghz on a CNPS9700???
    The reason I ask is because recent Q6600's haven't been overclocking so well. And since the Q6700 and Q6600 are almost identical CPUs, I was wondering if Intel has also started to bin them badly as well? It would really suck if it is true and then I would be stuck with a 2.66ghz quad core..... Cause if thats the case, an E8400 / E8500 would be more bang for the buck (once overclocked to 4ghz) but if i can get this Q6700 to 3.2ghz....I will be a happy camper!
    Anyone who has bought a Q6700 recently and overclocked it, PLEASE reply!!! Others.....your suggestions and experience is welcome as well.
    @abuzar,
    I got the Q6700 from newegg cause Intel is still "out of stock, may come in 1-2 weeks".
    Since the newer Q6600s are bad overclockers....I took my chance with this Q6700.
    Plus, its not like saving 150 bucks will make me rich or anything!
    thanks,
    -im1992

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The CNPS9700 isn't that good a cooler, but it shouldn't require any extra Vcore to get a Q6700 to 3.2Ghz or so, and therefore it shouldn't produce any extra heat, so you should be alright. No promises of course...

20. im1992

im1992 Regular member

so even if it is very badly binned (meaning very little headroom), it is still a good chance that i will get 3.2ghz out of it?
    thanks,
    im1992