1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's only 20% - I'm sure you'll manage that, certainly with a minimal voltage increase it'll be doable.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yes fairly easily I would think. the voltage range for the Q6700 is from .85v all the way up to 1.5v so there's a lot of room to play.

the CNPS9700 is zalmans top of the line cpu hsf and is by no means a bad hsf. at one time it was one of the hsf's of choice for the OC'ing enthusiasts. it is still one of the better hsf's around. you won't have any problems with heat at 3.2ghz with a zalman CNPS9700. if I wasn't using a TRUE, I'd be using a CNPS9700.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 9700 certainly has more cooling power than standard HSFs like the 9500 and Freezer 7, but for high overclocks, tower heatsinks are pretty standard fare these days, the Ultra 120, the NH-U12, the Tuniq Tower, the IFX-14, the Ninja...

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    You mentioned AVG being slow on the net a while back. I finally found out how to cure that problem. Go to tools in your browser, click on add-ons and uninstall or disable the AVG Safe Search and AVG no longer interferes by checking everything but your temperature! LOL!! Everything else in AVG works fine and you still are protected. It just doesn't check every link you go to unless you download it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Where have these been cases of badly binned Q6600s? I was thinking of getting one.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

'Badly binned', my understanding was there were just the 2 steppings ie the G0 stepping at 95watts and the B3 at 105watts, plus G0 has a higher thermal rating ie 72C and the B3 has 62C.....
    ..so i'm saying that the B3 is the badly binned one.. ie the older Q6600..

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah but all the new Q6600 are G0.

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Yeah ignore me, i'd not come across the phrase 'badly binned' before

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It just means that the newer CPUs are from the "edges" of the wafer, so they wont OC as much.

The Extreme CPUs are considered "cherry-picked", it means they come from the center of the wafer.

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

stepping and binning are different.

11. im1992

im1992 Regular member

yes by binning i meant that they won't overclock as high because intel is "digging" out all the cores they previously set aside......intel tried to pull a "fast one" on us by making it look like Q6600's were all gonna clock to 3.6ghz and right after everyone knew of the overlocking potential.....bam....switched to lower-end silicon (edges of the wafer) and started using that in the Q6600s....
    i hope its not the same story with the q6700....
    thanks to everyone for the comments!
    i will let you guys know by the end of next week what the q6700 is doing in my computer.....
    btw, does it make a difference that i will be running it on a 680i chipset, i have heard of problems with quad core and 680i
    has anyone else experienced such problems?
    thanks,
    -im1992

12. im1992

im1992 Regular member

i don't get one thing.....
    why is the edge of the wafer bad for overclocking?
    -im1992

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

imran you got a link to intel using the end of the waffers?

14. im1992

im1992 Regular member

no i don't but ppl on [H]ard forums were saying that intel is really digging out the bad cores and making q6600 now that they have a good reputation for overclocking...i will try to find the thread.....
    -im1992

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I'm sorry, but that makes no sense at all! First thing is if a wafer has any imperfections, they don't cut around it, they chuck the whole thing as it's just not economical to do it any other way. It would cause far too many delays in the production process, and time is money. As far as the "edge of the wafer" goes, you would have to provide a link for that one before I would even consider the possibility of that being true, and I mean a technical link, not some dopey-hole making the claim in a post somewhere.

I've been around Microprocessors and Silicone chips long before there was such a thing as a PC (early to mid 70s), and I've never heard anything like that before. I've been to AMD and watched the whole process. The wafers are scanned with computer controlled Microscopes and if the tiniest part of one is bad, it's discarded. I believe that that is one rumor with no basis in fact. Feel free to prove me wrong!

Respectfully,
    Russ

16. im1992

im1992 Regular member

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If real world experience has taught me anything, it's that what you read on forums and what actually happened are very often greatly different... :p

If what I read on forums has taught me anything, it's that the 680i chipset can be a real pain in the proverbial - then again, reading the above statement, who knows how big a deal that really is.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

imran, B3 quads wont OC that much. if people are buying them, then thats their fault.

19. im1992

im1992 Regular member

b3's are long gone
    sooo....is it an issue with the 680i chipset or only the b3 quads?
    thanks,
    -im1992

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    Part of the blame for that can be put on Newegg and places like that. For the longest time they would not tell you what the stepping is. They often "accidentally" include the wrong manufacturer page to show the chip in a better light, and to get rid of the crappy stuff too. Also don't forget that the vast majority of people do not overclock at all, so it really doesn't matter to them at all! We are the in the "Minority"! LOL!!

The only reason things changed somewhat with certain items was because people didn't want certain revisions of certain motherboards, and screamed loud enough and in sufficient enough numbers that we actually started getting a separation between revisions. I personally think that since it's our money we are spending we should demand the right to choose between the good stuff and the mundane!

Best Regards,
    Russ