1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Which is the first thing I did after installing my new Asus P5Q deluxe and Sam of course knows how that's going. LOL

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

and an OCer would be so into saving energy wouldnt he/she???

LOL. i wonder if they have fixed it with a newer bios update?

does the DES do that aswell?

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I am indeed an overclocker but a responsible one. The fact that there are power saving features on the board had no bearings on purchase. The Asus P5Q Deluxe is an awesome overclocking board. The settings are so easy that a person who has never overclocke a PC can master it in a few minutes. Besides you can't go wrong with a 16 phase powersupply. LOL

I just installed the board yesterday and here are some early results.

http://www.dvdhounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26622&postcount=16

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    My Engineering side says no! Anything that would reduce energy would have to reduce the watts, if you reduce the watts, you reduce the performance.

Since DES is implemented in software, rather than hardware and has no one chip involved, I would say that there would be some energy savings, but not anything that takes away performance. Time will tell which system is better, but from a design standpiont DES would be my choice, basically since everything the software controls, it controls directly at the source! Unlike the EPU-6, t and much easier to upgrade, especially if the EPU-6 chip isn't spot-on right out of the box, the third party is the software! The reason the DES should be better is it does all this on the fly, even overclocked! The computer monitors and controls itself without need for a special chip!

Just my opinion judging by what I see looking at both designs. The pipelines are much longer and the access time is greater because of the need for the software to tell the chip so the chip can tell computer what to do! I suspect that some of the EPU chip's shortcomings will be patched around direct, as upgrading chips is expensive! That is unless someone has patented DES, and doing that would be infringement on that patent! Maximum power savings under ideal conditions like only working at default bios settings would probably save more power, but overall I think the DES will save more power since you still get some energy savings when overclocking, that the EPU-6 can't provide. Not unless you use software to OC, and nobody here does that!
    http://www.gigabyte.us/FileList/WebPage/mb_080104_des/data/tech_080104_des-des-01.htm
    The EPU-6 does give an advantage to mainstream users though. I'm sure it's optimized for that purpose! I guess thorough testing will eventually tell which system is better, but adding a whole nother stage and instructions has just got to hurt performance some! JMO!

Sophocles is right though, the P5Q is an awesome motherboard! Especially for overclocking!

Russ

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Russ

Asus recently updated the bios for this board and there is not a gigabyte board within $100 that can touch it. Believe me I agonized over several different makes. I was bound and determined not to let anything but the technology sway me. You have a Gigabyte board with the same processor as I do so let me see you run prime95 (dual core)at 3.82 GHz for 10 hours and 12 minutes without a single error (stopped by user). I have no doubt that I can run this board at 4 GHz with little or no effort and I might just do that once I'm feel ok with what I have now, but as I've stated I'm a responsible overclocker (if such a thing exists. LOL)

Here is an early photo that I took of my setup while replacing the water cooling pins with bolts.

[​IMG]

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

but if one really cared about saving the watts, then one wouldnt OC a CPU, oen would get a 45mn CPU (E5200) and leave it at that. OCing kind of throws the whole energy saving out of the window.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If one cared about saving watts they would get a laptop powered by a celeron. As soon as you start to overclock a CPU you can throw power savings to the wind, regardless of the board. I save power by not watching TV and replaced all my household lights with florescent lights. I'm a hardcore overclocker and I appreciate the lower power requirements that have arisen in the last couple of years, but if I have to up the voltages to squeeze more MHz out of parts of my system, I will do it.

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

re read my post lol

i edited it. acidently left out a "'nt"

i agree with you. i doubt any OCer looks at watts saved.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Soph,
    nice to see you stop by more often. ;)

Are you serious about the "abilities" of the P5Q Deluxe?? I've been looking at the Rampage Formula and a couple of DFI's for my next mobo. I've even looked at the P5E Deluxe mobo as well. As NEW equipment comes out it seems that some of the upper end mobos are getting some "competition". ;) Thanks for the input and keep it up. :D

....gm

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

shaffaaf

I'm cool, and thanks to water so is my processor. LOL

BTW, I have a dual core laptop which is pretty decent as a portable desktop.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

greensman

If you want to see more you know where to look.;) This board made me feel stupid. All that I had to do to reach 3.9 GHz was to lower the memory divider to 266, increase the Vcore to 1.37, and then up memory voltage to corsairs 2.1Volts. What makes this amazing is that I overclocked the crap out of it with 2X2 gigabytes sticks to 4 gigs. Now everyone knows that larger modules are harder to overclock but not this time. Here is a screen shot of dual core prime95 after 10 hours at 3.82 GHz and I stopped it.

[​IMG]

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Soph,
    You're gonna make me read it aren't you?? lol. Nice job buddy...

....gm

ADD: OK now the GM has another mobo to look at for his "future new" build.. lol. Yep maybe by Christmas if he's lucky. :p

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Someones got to keep you guys literate (even through all the type-O's. LOL

I haven't decided to push things higher yet because this is the point where the laws of diminishing gains comes into play. Will it net me some worth gains? Truth is I had no price limitations on my purchase decision for a board. I could have just as easily spent $400 on a board, but my studies of this board gave me cause to save a few bucks. The money I saved I invested in 2 X 2 gigabytes of memory for $134 and it all seems to have worked out quite well. If I decide to clock no further, my Vcore settings can be dropped a couple of notches. With 2 X 1 gig I could have gone higher but the extra 1.25 GHz will probably net more over all performance gains.

14. im1992

im1992 Regular member

@greensman
    long time, no see!
    -im1992

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    You were 100% correct! I did as you said and only left the first optical drive turned on. I booted it from the XP-Pro disk and went ahead and installed it, formatting the drive in the process. Any idea what caused that? It works fine now, recognizes all the drives and reads them. Everything is turned back to normal and it works fine. Thanks to you. I don't think I ever saw that before now! It's installing SP-2 as we speak!

Thanks for the help,
    Russ

16. im1992

im1992 Regular member

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

They now have software to overclock Mac Pros. I wonded how fat those things are going to overheat!

Imran, thats a good price. Would make a nice basic computer...

18. im1992

im1992 Regular member

thanks!
    i hope someone buys them!
    this will help dilute the expense for my new CPU(the q6700)!
    -im1992

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

yeah, good luck man. I almost have a same spec computer(2.66ghz celeron D and 80GB hdd) and they are pretty decent.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, but you can still run benchmarks at stock clocks can't you? lol

With regard to overclocking and power saving, I don't think the two are at all mutually exclusive, nor should they be. I have overclocked my CPU significantly, but like to keep the power consumption down for cost, heat and quietness reasons.

lmao - no they're not, I've heard you moan about wanting a proper PC again...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008