1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. im1992

im1992 Regular member

well guys
    i got a L807A Q6700 (sorry i didn't update for such a long time...i got it on the 2nd)
    have yet to pop it in tho......been very very busy will selling my old stuff to make up the money for the CPU (recovered $62 already! off an old Dell Dimension 4550 motherboard on ebay)
    -im1992

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

runs ati tool no problems...

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

For how long? Let's see, run ATiTool for 45 mins, WHILE running Prime95 for 45 mins. Then run Mass Effect and see if it goes unstable.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol indeed.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

True, and that's one of the reasons that Donald (64026402) and I promoted it as a test for computer stability. Like Pime95, it crunches some hard data, and also like Prime95 it is not a synthetic test in the sense that it has a purpose. That doesn't mean that synthetic tests don't have a purpose, I use them all the time in early testing, but then it all comes down to how accurately does it handle data. It's possible to build a system that appears to be functionally running fine but if it is writing corrupted data back to your hard drive, it will fail, but before it does you will have noticed a progressive quirky behavior.

ATItools is meant to find the functional limits of ones graphics card's GPU while overclocking, it does very little to stress the main parts of ones system such as CPU, chipsets, and memory which are the real keys to finding stability. Get those right and everything else can be easily replaced.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    As you may remember I had that very problem with my D-940. It ran beautifully at 3.84gHz, it just wouldn't complete the WUs, folding! It did start getting flaky and I finally had a non-temperature related crash while running DVDRB/CCE I had to drop my OC to 3.71GHz, where it worked fine once I did a fresh install of XP-Pro!

Russ

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I do indeed! At first I thought that you were just trying a new method of fusion reaction.;)

There are so many high overclockers out there, and I have nothing against it. I'm one, for a few minutes or just long enough to take a few benches, but I also admit it. I like hitting unrealistically high overclock numbers for fun, but I know enough not to leave things like that and expect consistent results. What bothers me is that so many newbies see all this as a reality, and if no one tells them otherwise then they are often left chasing smoke and mirrors.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    "Fusion Reaction"! Yeah, I did let the smoke out! LOL!! I still can't find a thing wrong with that MB. nothing burned or discolored, it just doesn't work!

As far as the "What bothers me is that so many newbies see all this as a reality, and if no one tells them otherwise then they are often left chasing smoke and mirrors". Oh, you can tell them otherwise, but most don't listen! LOL!! They get the distinct attitude that if Tom's or Anandtech can do it, so can I! They seem to think it's Gospel! We had one guy here that went straight to 4.0GHz, right out of the box. He was lucky! He didn't blow it up! LOL!! What bothers me the most is this all sets a standard for others to follow and do the same thing. A dangerous practice, in my eyes!

Russ

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

They can do it, all that is needed are their techs, labs, some sense, and a lot more experience to achieve it.;)

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

Was that me?

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No, just generalizing, your posts have showed some good sense. Maybe it's time to start a new thread called the "The Sensible Overclocking Thread. LOL

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I've learned a LITTLE bit while on these adventures!

NuckNFuts is our resident EXTREME overclocker, but back when I first got my E6750 I took it straight to 3.6ghz and I kept it there. In fact I tried 4Ghz but my memory was crappy(Crucial Ballistix, even though in the computer I had before that one the same memory could do more than 1066Mhz).

Like I said I have gotten a bit better than that. I have built about 15 computers so far, and you learn some from that.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

no abuzar that was my self destruction that went to 4.0ghz. but i didnt take it directly to 4.0ghz.....3.2, 3.4, 3.6, 3.7 then 4.0

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

ooohhh

Harsh times buddy. You're ok now though.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Not a bad start, a lot of people in forums give advice without having built a singe computer. They're great at Googling but they often lack the experience to fully understand what it is that they're reading. I'm a big supporter of overclocking because it allows industrious and creative individuals to extract greater value from their purchases. I began overclocking about 14 years ago and in those days it was all done with pliers and pulling pins, and guess work. There were no settings in the bios to adjust Vcore, memory voltages,FSB, or any of the adjustments available today. Thank heavens for that. LOL

Tom's Hardware grew out of that and became a great place for groups of us to share our experiences, compare our overclocks and learn.

Below is two quotes from Tom Pabsts who started Tom's Hardware. Remember that some of the statements regarding temps are now dated, but thes essence remains true.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah, that's sensible. As long as you don't OVERDO it Overclocking can be a great increase to your computer.

With sensible Vcore and decent cooling you can make these CPUs MUCH faster(for example a E2160 from 1.8Ghz to 3.2Ghz) and still keep the lifespan within 4-5 years.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That's about it, and remember you can't make a Racehorse out of a Jackass.;)

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah and someone needs to get this through to the newcomers. Maybe edit the first page of this thread or something lol.

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that won't do any good as most people don't read entire threads.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You know, when ever I enter in a thread I always go to the first page and then I click on last. That's probably because I'm retarded though lol.