1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    It's not that at all! It's the fact that the poor guy got jumped for even considering an AMD! Not only that but no one here has a lick of experience with any of the Phenoms!

I would have no problem building a Phenom 8750 2.4GHz Triple Core The price is only $8 more and it seems to be a better gamer than an E6750. It did better in most games than the E6750 did, including Crysis in the reviews I read. I just may do a build with one or a Phenom 9850 2.5GHz Quad, just for fun. The performance hit with it, is small compared with the Q6600 and the Q9300 and the price difference is not that much. One thing that hasn't escaped my notice is how much quicker the AMDs execute internal instructions, and that's comparing a bone stock 64x2 4800+ to my overclocked E6750! It may not crunch numbers as fast as the Intel, but it's a much quicker machine to use as everything relating to I/O is noticeably faster!

Sophocles,
    First off, 20C (68F) is a pretty darn chilly room! I start getting uncomfortable when the temp gets down to about 74F and put on a sweater! Something just isn't right in that review! I find it very odd that there doesn't seem to be any mention of what CPU Cooler they used! If it's the stock Intel Cooler, that would explain a lot. This guy also makes it plain that he doesn't like the Intel chipsets and prefers nVidia! If these tests were run "Breadboard style without a case, then something is absolutely wrong with temps like that. It wouldn't survive in a case where the temps would more than likely be higher!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, come on we didn't "jump" him, we were just respectfully giving suggestions ;)

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Read my edit!

Russ

4. im1992

im1992 Regular member

i have 2 gigs of OCZ Platinum (4-5-4-15)
    and 2 gigs of OCZ Gold (4-5-5-15)
    well it is now at 320fsb x 10 multi for 3200mhz with 1.35v(didn't try any lower)...what multiplier should i use? i have options for 6,7,8,9,10...
    what voltage should i use for 3.4ghz? and should it be 340fsb x 10multi?
    -im1992

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The results from those review sites are pretty obvious aren't they? It's not like cooling reviews, where you can change the conditions a lot. These are straight up tests where the ONLY difference is the CPU and the motherboard. Hell, not even talking about OCing, stock speeds, CLOCK for clock the Intel Quads are faster. Not to mention that they are almost the same price.

And so what if it beats out your dual core? Let's compare Apples to Apples, a Q6600 would beat out your dual core too. Their QUADS should go up against Intels QUADS, not DUAL cores.

Hey Man, I would hate to see AMD go down too! But I am not going to buy their CPUs if they give me less performance for almost same price.

EDIT: lol Is this what you call jumping on him?

6. im1992

im1992 Regular member

well guys
    now i am running it at 362.5FSB x 7Multiplier = 2537.5mhz
    this is just to see the limits of the board with the quad core
    so technically, if the quad is up to it....i can run it at 362.5 x 10Multiplier = 3.625ghz!
    but i doubt that is possible.....
    -im1992

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Why did you even go as far as three sets? I would have changed horses after the second set went south! LOL!!

You better hope that vdrop mod doesn't come back and bite you in a place that will remain nameless. Not a very smart thing to do, in my eyes! It's now a time bomb, and it's ticking! LOL!! You are now at the mercy of the Power Company, and you live in Florida! ROFLMAO!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

All three failed within a few days of each other about a month after I built the three systems. I would never use a part known to fail!

Lol

And that vdrop mod was a simple pencil mod(literally). Worst that can happen is that it goes unstable after a while and the person(I dont own it anymore!) has to lower the clock speed.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Either that or a line spike comes along and Good Bye CPU! You live in the land of FP&L. where power spikes are not a possibility, but a certainty! You definitely need a UPS for sure there! I once lost the TV (as did my neighbor), Stereo and the Clock radio in the bedroom that way! Then there's the lightning to contend with as well. My neighbor replaced the TV, only to have his cable box hit by lightning about a month later! And this was in Orlando, not in some remote place like Two Egg!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I have the power regulator things for my TV, etc.

I have lived through ALL of the recent hurricanes without our electricity even going out. It DOES go out from time to time(a few times a year in thunderstorms) but it never went out during the hurricanes lol.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Sounds to me like you are talking about a Surge protector! They can only do so much when it comes to computers! A UPS is a much better choice for computers. It has spike protection as well as line conditioning. In my eyes they are mandatory in places like Florida, Texas and the Mid-West. LOL!!

Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good lord Mort, what's going on behind your realtemp windows? :)

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Russ, why are you citing me for this quote?

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    I'm sorry, I should have made it plain I was quoting the article! My Bad!

Russ

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

im1992

First thing first, drop two sticks of memory it is never a good idea to overclock with any more than two sticks. If you have to have 4 gigabytes then it is better to use 2X2 Gigabytes. You can test the platinum against the gold to determine which is the best of the two once you've reached the maximum setting for one. The OCz may not be all that robust so you will have some limitations.
    Second you will have to boot into bios (I don't do soft overclocking}.

When you get to bios go to AI overclocker and set it to manual.

In "Extreme Teaker" set PCIEX16 to 100

In "Extreme Teaker" set FSB-memory clock mode to "unlinked"

Then go to overvolt here and note: that you will have to experiment a bit to get some of the settings right.

Set vcore (CPU} to 1.4
    Memory to 2.1V

This way we won't have to deal with memory and CPU for a while.

These settings are a set as you go but here are some basic estimates to get you started.

1.2v HT Voltage: 1.2v to 1.6v in 0.5v increments
    NB Core Voltage: 1.2v to 2.0v in 0.5v increments
    SB Core Voltage: 1.5v to 1.6v in 0.5v increments
    CPU VTT Voltage: 1.2v to 1.55v in 0.5v increments

Now you can start setting your FSB. Don't go crazy and set it to warp 10 right away. Work your way up in increments and test by rebooting each time.

corrected a minor error.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Using 4x1GB will certainly still let you overclock to a reasonable speed, but to go all out, you should be using 2x2GB. Soph is right on about mixing different types though, that's rarely a good idea stock, let alone when overclocking.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Depends on what you mean by reasonable. Filling up 4 memory slots can cause a major restriction to a successful overclock unless one has an unlocked CPU multiplier and is not overclocking the memory as well. In an overclock using 4 sticks of memory places more stress on the NB (memory controller) and can cause it to overheat with only modests increases. If even one stick of memory is not as good as the other three they will all default to the slower dimm. In any overclock 4 sticks of memory of any size is NEVER a good idea. If one wants 4 gigabytes it is better to get 2X2 gigabytes, but if one isn't interested in overclocking then go for it.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, using stock cooling my chipset rarely goes above 40ºC, and I have four sticks running a 75% overclock on my CPU. They are, however downclocked and loosened. I'd tighten them but to what end? My PC is plenty fast enough as it is.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It doesn't change a thing it is not a good idea period!!!!!!!!

If I could bet my hands on your system I would find all kinds of faults. No serius overclocker use 4 dimms. Run a memory test and post the result.

And your overclock is 75% over what with what?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why is it not a good idea? To run a system for over four months with no unexplained crashes I must have got something right!
    While you are very more adept at pulling off top-end overclocks than me Soph, I often think you go too far to make overclocking sound like an art. It needn't be any more. Squeezing those last few mhz out of a CPU is always a trial, but to say you can't get decent results from spending mere seconds in the BIOS is nonsense if you have the slightest idea what you're doing. Same here - just because four sticks isn't the optimal configuration for overclocking doesn't mean it won't work. If you wanted to overclock an E6420 or whatever I wouldn't advise it because you'd be looking at very high bus speeds, but for a 1400 FSB this combination has worked for me and I see no reason why it wouldn't work for anyone else.

I'm running a 1.8Ghz E4300 at 3.15Ghz.
    What memory test would you like me to run?