1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. im1992

im1992 Regular member

what CPU voltages are you using?
    and are there any other voltages that you can adjust?
    thanks,
    -im1992

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

@greensman
    i am waiting.....lol
    so what happened with the no post? does it work now? and did you overclock?
    -im1992

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm gonna start calling you Spammer92.... lol.

A friend came by and interrupted my progress. ;) I'm on it now and it seems that the gpu isn't liking me or something. grrrrrrrrrrrrr....

A PNY 8800GTS 320MB.... :D

....gm

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i have just ordered some OCZ freeze, which is non conductive, and hopefulyl better than the MX-2 that i am using now. (i know how the epms are messed up. my bro put on the freezer 7 pro the rong was round, so i took it off, and put it the corrtect way. but i didnt have extra TP so i left it like as it was. now with some proper thermal paste, and it being seated properly, im sure it will OC just fine.

5. im1992

im1992 Regular member

as of now stable at 3.2ghz with 1.45v CPU voltage
    i think that if this works, i will just stay at this speed...
    its at 356FSB x 9 = 3207mhz as of now
    lol, about a 100mhz better than my e6300
    not too bad but still, a HUGE disappointment...
    -im1992

6. im1992

im1992 Regular member

lol, is there a way for me to change my ID to Spammer92? hehe
    i guess i am just feeling really good that i have a 1000 dollar chip for less than 300 bucks....3.2ghz (if it stays stable)
    but at the same time, let down
    and i saw a review website only pull 3.4ghz on the striker extreme and that was with a Core 2 Extreme (Kentsfield)...
    so i guess i am on par....they used a 11x multiplier
    -im1992

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Don't know what's really going on.... hmmmm.... Seems when I turned off the LED button on the I/O panel it tried to 'start'... BUT it still wouldn't post. Hit clr/CMOS button on mobo and pulled the battery to "remove" all doubt and return to original setup. Still nothing... and it's HOT too... Didn't take it but a few minutes to heat up.... warm/hot to the touch.... NEVER had that happen before... I'll look into it tomorrow... It's late here and I gotta get up early... plus I don't need any mistakes right now... ;)

..gm

8. im1992

im1992 Regular member

are you talking about the graphics card or the CPU?
    -im1992

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

SB, NB, CPU, and RAM; didn't check the gpu... lol. Figured it was all hot... :( Like I said I'll look at it tomorrow and see if I can figure anything out... Doesn't make sense.. I was running it off my ATi card a few weeks ago to do some ODD testing and it ran fine!!! Ripped like a champ, burned pretty danged good, and was pretty speedy... I think that I even ran DVD RB to see how fast it was. Going off memory so don't write it down... lol...

....gm

10. im1992

im1992 Regular member

arg
    I know you said you will do this tomorrow.
    So read this tomorrow...:
    There is a jumper next to the CMOS Clear button, set it (pin 2-3 instead of pin1-2) so that when the CMOS Clear button is pressed in, the red light goes off. This is what clears the CMOS. I am sure all your hardware is fine. Everytime something goes terribly wrong on the Striker's, they crawl in their shell like turtles (not letting you boot)....try that and then don't change the jumper back to default. This way, when ever you run into problems, you just have to press the button once, leave it for 10 seconds, and press it again. Boot your computer, and it should work.
    Hope everything works out for ya,
    -im1992

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Glad to see you're still working it out. One small point. When you have some degree of success say at 3.37GHz and then it fails Orthos after 2 hours, you don't necessarily need to drop it by over 1000 Mhz. I've seen drops of 20 or 30 MHz that has taken a partially stable overclock to complete success. Two hours suggests that you were near you sweet spot, so then you try it at 33 GHz and try it again, and it goes like that.

Yes I've been reading about other efforts to overclock quad cores with the striker extreme 680i chipset, the 780i is supposed to have improved. I was actually looking at the high end Asus boards but I kept running into less than favorable reports so I decide to stick with the lower priced P5Q Deluxe since Intel will be releasing Nehalem and the X58 chipset soon.

Another point: I've heard that the North Bridge chipset has problems with heat and many are recommending that it be set to auto so you guys might want to disregard my earlier overvolt setting suggestion and try it at stock.

12. im1992

im1992 Regular member

well
    i got my q6700 stable to 3.6ghz!!! with a loooooot of voltage tho 1.525set in bios but with the vdroop, its at 1.48v...is it alright to run this voltage 24/7?
    -im1992

13. im1992

im1992 Regular member

you think it might run at a higher clock speed at stock NB voltages?
    EDIT 1: since i am already at 3.6ghz.....do you think 3.8 would be possible?
    EDIT 2: nvm, i backed it down to 3.4ghz, i got scared that i would kill the CPU at such high voltages...and it wasn't stable at those voltages either....i really really need to do a volt mod...my motherboard vdroops almost .2vs!!!
    -im1992

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you're doing that well then don't mess with what's working, you will have to test things for yourself. There's nothing more that I can do to help. Glad things are looking up.

15. im1992

im1992 Regular member

ok thx
    well, i am feeling a lil better now cause my cousin can "only" do 3.2ghz with his q9450 on an x38 board...
    i will post sum prime 95 stable pics up later (at 3.4ghz as it turned out not to be stable at 3.6 and also because of the really high voltage required for that to even boot up)...
    -im1992

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I generally consider 1.4 something alright, but to be on safe side, that would include the BIOS as well as the real voltage attained.

17. im1992

im1992 Regular member

i think it IS my motherboard that is holding me back
    it vdroops a looot, do you think i should try the vdroop mod for the motherboard?
    will a steady voltage help me at all?
    i can run mass effect / rainbow 6 vegas 2 fine but prime fails...i think the motherboard doesn't provide the cpu enough voltage under 100% load
    right now i am at 3.3ghz...stable
    3.4 wasn't stable after about 45mins of Prime 95
    -im1992

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is it a shady pencil mod or similar? I'd be a bit wary of those.

19. im1992

im1992 Regular member

no, you can either use a conductive pen or solder for the mod.....
    but i guess you are right
    also, i would have to take the motherboard out in order to do the mod and after all this overclocking crap i ain't feeling up to it!
    will this chip overclock really good in an x48 motherboard?
    and how much do you think i can get for this ASUS Striker....i might just sell this and get an x48 if all i have to put in is less than a hundred bucks...
    -im1992

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

conductive pen = pencil mod = flames = cost. I don't want to hear anyone tell me it doesn't happen, it does, it has, and it hurts.